Status: Returned. Co-write.

The ED Diaries

jared.

Image

The laws of physics, Jared assumed, is what landed him in this situation. He leaned back onto his bed, next to his duffel bag and suitcase. His mother paced anxiously outside the door, keeping ears opened to make sure no "funny business" was going down inside the door.

"No more. He still won't let me on the team...and it's because I'm still fat. No more," he replied to the sullen, skeleton-thin boy in the reflection. "I'm going to get in shape...even if it kills me." He'd repeated the word into his reflection multiple times before they settled in, seeping into the brain like dirt into his pores.

A sudden urge overwhelmed him, and he quickly dumped all of the laxatives and diet pills he had bought earlier that evening into the sink. The boxes and bottles hit the porcelain in a melodic rhythm, almost like music.

He swallowed a handful of anything and everything he could find. LipoFuze, Fenphedrine, Apidextra, Miralax, Dulcalax, and anything else he could put his hands on.


"Jared! Hurry up, honey! We need to be at the airport in an hour!"

He sighed and stood up. He placed a final book into his bag, and grabbed his picture of his girlfriend, Mackaelah. With that, he said goodbye to his room.

He didn't even realize what was happening. Before he even noticed it, he was on the floor foaming at the mouth.

Mackaelah found him, and called his parents in. With a heart-rate too fast for human safety, and his own body's waste laying on the floor around him, his mom started to cry. She was praying frantically.

Jared could just barely make out the words.

His father finally reacted, grabbing Jared up off the floor and somehow going from the bathroom to his Jeep in super-speed. It felt like super-speed to Jared, anyway.

Then...he was at the hospital.

He was unconscious...

and then he woke up.


The ride to the airport was a silent, empty one. But after they made it inside the actually airport, and managed to make it to security, his mom finally spoke.

"Your dad will meet you in Maine."

That was it.

He was on his own.