Status: Returned. Co-write.

The ED Diaries

imogen.

Image

Her pointed chin was angled to the door, her sharp nose and jaw followed suit daring it to open and swallow her alive. Imogen blinked.

“Are you going to open it?” Dr. Barnett asks, staring down at Imogen he heaves a sigh. She jumps at the slightest sound, moving to it, finding a dance. She sways just enough that he can shove the door open. Imogen still stares.

Dr. Barnett stares through his thickly rimmed glasses at the distraught girl, and carefully he takes her dove like hand and leads her into the room. His analysis begins the moment he touches her. Her wrist is too small, its fragile, it’s tiny. He could snap it if he wanted to and just let the blue blood run red.

Imogen glances around the room, it’s white, all white, and plain.

“White,” says Imogen, “is a bad colour.”

“And why is that?” Dr. Barnett goes to answer the door as the suit cases arrive.

“They wouldn’t let me be the swan, I think it’s because, of white,” Imogen muttered her finger tips graze the wall and her face remains the same, “White makes you look, fu-,” Imogen stuttered and looked around hastily. Her coloured orbs glance around from side to side taking in the room making sure no one else would here.

“White,” whispered Imogen to the doctor, “makes people fat. Ugly.” She choked on the words spitting acid out onto the floor as she said the word, it was hard to manage.

Fat, fat, fat.

Imogen raised her wrist, and bent it back watching as the joints moved slowly she wiped it across her face getting rid of the remaining bits. Dr. Barnett stared now at the girl, the alien.

“I need to repaint,” whispered Imogen walking out of the room and down the hall. Dr. Barnett stared at the blood staining the white carpet, the blood from the girls mouth and he sighed.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.