Georgia

ten

She clicks her tongue.

Once.

Twice.

She stares over at him, wondering if there is something wrong, his silence is unusually silent this day. She sighs heavily, not remembering how long it’s been since she’s felt so restless.

He decided earlier, not for any reason that he could think of reasonably, to not talk. Talking made him feel insecure, it brought out a side of him he didn’t like. He wondered if this is why some people don’t speak much. So he hasn’t spoken, not even a hello, not even a ‘how are you’. He fears his words from the last visit were still lingering around pathetically in her head like they were in his.

“Why are you here?” she asks finally, huffing as she falls back into her seat. He swallows, not sure how to answer. “I mean you’re usually the bright and happy one.” He doesn’t reply, still refusing to look at her. He doesn’t know why he’s feeling like this. He just is. Something in his chest is pushing at his lungs. “Is this because I won’t answer any of your stupid questions?”

“They’re not stupid,” he finally answers, barely audible. She scoffs, pushing her messy hair out of her face. She doesn’t understand what’s so important about her that he still sits here with her, still questions her sleepless nights and silent words. She thinks back to her phone conversation with her father, how she told herself how much like him she was. How easy it would be for her to walk away too. He sits up straight, clasping his hands together tightly, debating leaving. “They’re not stupid,” he finally repeats, standing and grabbing his jacket. “Okay?”

She stares up at him for a moment, only long enough for him to catch her eyes before looking away. “Whatever,” she answers, not watching him walk away.