Georgia

two

“Who is she anyways?” his friend Matt asks at the lunch table as they both hide their eyes from her as she passes by their table. “Is she new?”
“I don’t know,” he mumbles under his breath, picking at his food.
“You don’t know?” he prods.
“She’s from Canada.”
“What’s her name?”
“Georgia.”
“And okay,” he pauses, taking a gulp of his soda, and leaning farther over the table. “Tell me again what happened over the break?”

He groans, covering his face with his hands before shaking his head. His friend rolls his eyes, looking back over his shoulder at the girl, long legs and blonde hair braided down her back. “It’s kind of a long story.”
“I’m sure,” Matt says with a slight smirk. “And lunch is about twenty minutes long.”
“I just ran into her when we were playing Quidditch,” his cheeks are red as he stares into his friend’s eyes. “Like she fell over and everything. She was like crying and stuff. And I thought it was my fault because you know, I was running pretty fast and all.”
“Why was she crying?”
“I don’t know, she never told me.”
“And how exactly did it go from, you knocking her over looking like a freak wearing all gold, to your bed?”
“It’s not like it happened overnight,” he frowns, his heart racing at the memory. “It took the whole break and it’s not like it’s going anywhere anyways.”
“Okay, hold on,” Matt swallows his bite of the sandwich his mother made for him that morning. “So when did you guys have sex then?”
“Thursday.”
“And she called you?”
“Yeah.”
“Then why is it not going anywhere?”
“She invited me over to sit outside with her while it snowed. We barely talked.” Matt leans back in his chair, shaking his head and watching as a few freshman girls walk by the table, laughing too loudly and elbowing each other. “What?”
“Chicks want you to come and sit and not talk, it’s not a bad thing.”
“But it wasn’t like that nice silent or whatever. It was just. Awkward or something.”

Matt purses his lips, resting his elbows on the table and taking another glance at the girl three tables away, sitting silently with a few girls from her third period class. She didn’t particularly like them, but they had invited her to sit with them and she didn’t think sitting alone would be any different. She glances away from her book, over her shoulder, right at him, but he doesn’t see her for he is staring down at the table, drawing endless shapes with his finger.