Status: Completed!

Getting the Best of You

Eventful Timing

Today is Dan's eighteenth birthday and I don't know what to do or give him. I know I'm poor on my friend-gives-friend-gift skills but Dan can be a hard nut to crack. He loves Rock like it his life depends on such music like me; even though he's Harry Potter, he doesn't want to see his face on screen; too polite; and into being a serious actor.

Like I said, 'hard nut'. I have no idea what to give him.

As I pondered about Dan's gift with a Twizzler between my teeth, someone covered my eyes with their hands. "I'm guessing it's between a hot wizard and an anorexic pony," I answered with false determination. The person took his/her hands from my face and appeared in front of me with pure befuddlement on his face.

"What the hell? An anorexic pony has hands to cover your face?" The Birthday Boy asked.

"Well, you used to be cute and cuddly like a pony and skinny as hell to be anorexic until you said 'What the hell'," I answered as I chewed more of the twisted candy.

"I wasn't skinny as hell to be anorexic, if you can see now," Dan lifted part of his Sex Pistols shirt up to show his chest, "I'm no where near that word."

If you were right in front of Dan like how I am right now, staring at his healthy chest would be a girl's first instinct. Staring like if there was no tomorrow and if you had the ultimate front row seat to see Dan partially nude in Eqqus.

I snapped out of Whoa Land and looked at him sternly in the eye as he too stared back. "F-fine," I stammered defeated.

He smirked at his win and left saying, "I going to my house now. No one can defeat Dan the Man!"

"Well, the sexy Spiderman can and maybe Ryan Ross," I shouted.

"Who is that?" Dan came back puzzled.

I went up to my room---we were in the kitchen---and took out a magazine then went downstairs to Dan.

"This cutie!" I shouted with the three-page poster of Ryan (unfolded).

Dan's eyebrows rose and shrugged, "So?"

"So? He is hot. WAY hotter than you!"

"So? Anyways, I'm leaving and hopefully I get my present from you." Then he finally left.

I think guys have the tendency to have the lack of care in almost everything except sports, babes, and whatnot.

Hmmm, what to give to an eighteen year-old guy that I might have like and who showed his balls in theater?

This might be difficult.

I went back to my room and pondered once more on the subject on gifts, as I hadn't noticed the wind from my open window blew the magazine's pages from a cute Ryan to a manly Dan.

**Dan's Home**

Dan was on the couch lazily as he talked to a few of his friends he invited.

Do I look okay?

I was wearing something that Mom forced me through her puppy dog eyes to wear something more---I think I'm going to hurl---girlish with the hairstyle of waviness and down.

I shifted uncomfortable in the attire, turned away from the door to the party space, and went to the backyard looking up at the moonlit sky feeling funny about everything that had occurred here in London so far: Meeting and befriending Dan, hanging out with Mom, and just having a weird summer break.

Some of the wind blew some more but not enough to have myself go through a Marilyn Monroe moment. I shivered a little as I sat on one of the lawn chairs staring off in space to not notice someone opened the backdoor to the backyard staring at my sitting position.

Dan's mom sat next to me in another lawn chair, smiling at me.

"Is something wrong?"

"No," I scoffed which later turned my face to worry.

"Oh, really? To me, someone in beautiful attire for her friend's birthday that she's doesn't seem to attend and looking up at the moon, has something on her mind. So Janie, what's the matter?" Dan's mom asked calmly.

I bit my lip and finally face her in all her glory.

"Well, I wonder what would happen to Dan and my friendship when I come back home," I answered.

She thought for a moment until she answered, "Janie, expect the unexpected and hope everything will fall into place as you both hoped it would be. Plus right now, I think you should see Dan as he's about to blow the candles."

Feeling an ounce better, I nodded to the idea and went inside along with Mrs. Radcliffe. I went into the dark room where the small party was at as everyone was singing the 'Happy Birthday' song.

"Happy Birthday, to you! Happy Birthday, to you! Happy Birthday, Dear Daniel! Happy Birthday, to you! Yay!"

Dan laughed and nodded at everyone for singinghorribly I might add on his day. He kept nodding like a daft parakeet until his eyes landed on me. At first, he was blushing madly then grinned at me. I smiled and clapped along with some remainders as Dan blew out the candles.

"You're finally eighteen!" I shouted and everyone rooted on.

**Backyard**

I messed between my black and blue Converse high-tops (won over Mom on how uncomfortable high heel straps can be) and ate a piece of the vanilla ice cream cake I received from Dan. I then went into my bag and found what I was looking for: Vanilla Wafers from Nabisco. I opened the bag of the fresh wafers, and then stick the two of them with my cake.

"Ta-da! My masterpiece---"

"Oh yeah, vanilla biscuits are the true touch for a vanilla ice cream cake," Dan said as he sat next to me on the same lawn chair as me.

"Happy Birthday, Tennis Ball Eyes," I said with my mouth full.

He gave me one of his world's wonder smiles and replied, "Thank you, especially from you."

"Thanks," I responded shyly looking at the green grass then snapped my head up, "Wait! What do meant by th---" There's no hard complicated Chemistry question for our next position. All there was:
Jane + Dan = a long snog on the lawn chair

I know anyone would expect a love and kissing involved but here's what really happened. I stopped the process from finishing my sentence by Dan's lanky arm accidentally hit my cake, which landed on the ground with a thud and me speechless.

"My masterpiece!"

"You can have another piece and add the biscuits on it you know," Dan shrugged with a tad of guilt.

I gave him my disgusted look, "No. I shall do this." I took a little piece of cream from the cake and put it on Dan's nose.

"Now I'm happy," I said with a smug look. Dan wiped the cream with his index finger and tasted it.

"Don't I taste magically delicious?"

"I know you are," I said shyly and covered my mouth.

Did I just say that?

"Jane?" Dan was concerned.

I snapped out of my daze and nodded with a sad smile. "I'm fine. Dan, here's your birthday present."

"Where?" He asked eagerly.

"This," I said in a whisper only he can here.

Our noses almost touched. Then I did where no chick has never done before, I lip locked with Dan. What surprised me more was that he didn't stopped me; in fact, his tongue asked permission to my lips.

Moreover, I agreed.