Status: In progress.

I Once Knew an Angel

ג

"Hanks?" I ask my new friend.

"Yes?" We are sitting on the bench outside the school where I first met him.

"Do I- Did I know you?- You know... Before?"

"No," he says to me and I feel relieved. I thought I might have known him and I had forgotten all about him. He just seems familiar.

"How did we get here?" I wonder, looking at the dewy grass and past the glistening evergreens.

"I don't know, Remy," he answers. I know he's telling the truth. He's nothing like August. That's what I like about Hanks.

"Why are we here?" I ask my shadow on the dampened concrete.

"I guess it's the place where we wait while we're dying- but not quite dead." I get the feeling he's hiding something- but I don't express my thoughts.

"Why are we the only one's here?"

It takes a while for Hanks to answer. "I- I don't know. I've never been her before... Have you?"

"Yes," I say slowly, "I go here everyday of my life almost- for three years. It's my school."

"That makes more sense," he mumbles. I still wonder why he's here.

"... Would you... Like to get something to eat?" I ask him and look at his eyes- like innocent pools of water. August's eyes are black, so black the pupils dissapear. I like Hanks' eyes better. I can trust them.

"Sure," he says and stands up. I stand up too and start to walk away from the school- Hanks behind me. When we're about to get to the nearest restaurant, the air grows thick with cotton like fog. I look back at the school and I can see it clearly.

"We can't leave," I murmur. My hand touches warm skin and I turn. Hanks is holding my hand.

"Let's go back." He smiles.

I nod and follow. I don't even mind looking at the back of his half-blown away skull anymore.

Image


We sit in the cafeteria and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches silently. Only soft, wet chewing sounds are heard. I look at Hanks and he looks at me. I start to think about things. Like- how Hanks' hair is a dark blond and how mine is light brown. And how his eyes are the most beautiful blue and mine are cow-brown. His eyelashes are dark and long and he's clean shaven and has nice skin. I look down as I blush and look at his long, strong fingers.

He smiles and looks like he knows that I'm thinking about him. I smile back, thinking all the while that his smile is just about the most beautiful I've ever seen.

"You done?" He asks me and motions to the crust I peeled off my sandwich.

I nod and start to say I'll take care of it, but he picks it up and squishes the crust in the palm of his hand.

I grin on the inside. Dork.

Image


August smiles at me- in a sweet way. It's the day he asked me out for the first time. I think might faint from happiness.

I think about how lucky I am to have someone like him. So nice- and he stands up for me when other boys make fun of me.

I make plans in head to marry him. I'll have a pure white dress. Everyone will be there. My Dad will walk me down the isle. Mom will cry tears of joy. My little siblings will stare in wonderment. All those who had called me names would now see beauty and would be sorry. Champgne would bubble happily in my belly and all would be well. I would be happy. And I would be loved.

Everything goes perfectly in my head. But August didn't play along with my dreams- That one night in the garage-


Image


"No!" I scream. And Hanks' arms are all around me and I grow limp and I whimper to him, "Please stop... No more... I- I- You-You're hurting me..."

"Remy," He coos and I know that he will never be August. Because he's my friend- my guardian angel of sorts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Blurghhhh... I'll keep posting, but I don't really like this chapter. Meh. Comment if you want.