We Are the Kids From Yesterday

Look Alive, Sunshine.

Dr. Deathdefying’s pov

The diner was silent, the only noises you could hear was the squeak of the wheels and the motor on my wheelchair, Frank’s soft snoring in the main room on one of the many booths and occasionally a page turn of a comic book when Gerard was done reading the page.

The monitors that kept track of activity in the surrounding zones where quiet for the first time in many days and Show Pony hasn’t came back or radioed in any drac activity and I was getting worried.

It’s never quiet for too long.

“It’s eerie,” Mikey comment coming in the door from the ‘control room’, which really the manager’s office in the back. “Nothing is going on!”

I looked over the top of my sun glasses at the lanky brown/blonde man. “That it is Kobra.” I nodded pushing the joystick forward as I moved to a window looking out into a scene of a desert, with a road that went on for miles.

“Something big is going to happen.” Mikey sat in the booth across from Frank and began to flip through the song list that was to the juke box on the far wall.

“You’re going to jinx it!” Gerard replied glaring at his brother before going back to reading.

“Am not!” Mikey stuck out his tounge.

“Grace, what were you thinking?! You could’ve gotten ghosted!” Ray nagged Grace, his ten year old sister as they came in from outside.

“I was waiting for Show Pony, Ray. He should be back soon.” She explained stopping in the middle of the room, spinning around to face her brother. The commotion woke up Frank and made Gerard look up from his comic book.

“Whathappened? Areweunderattack?” Frank rubbed his eyes sleepily, yawning as he sat up in his booth.

“No Frank,” Gerard closed his book laying it down on the bar before getting up off his stool. “Grace just went outside and Ray freaked.”

“She could’ve gotten taken or killed! What would you do if Mikey went outside?” Ray demanded crossing his arms.”

Gerard looked up at Ray from his crouching position in front of Grace and smiled at him. “Nothing, Mikey is a big boy. He can go outside if he wants and if he gets ghosted it’s his fault. Although, all hell would break loose if he did get ghosted.” He shrugged as he began to reprimand Grace about giving Ray a heart attack. Mikey muttered something that I paid no attention to and returned my gaze outside, looking for a sign of Show Pony.

Gerard was a good father. He was the one who kept Grace in check when she was misbehaving for Ray. Too bad his wife and daughter took the miracle pills during the trial run. They had one of the bad batches and Korse killed them.

Several hours passed and nothing was happening. Everyone but Frank and I were playing go fish while we were fixing one of the monitors that died on us a few weeks ago.

“He’s back!” Grace screamed. “Show Pony is back!” Frank got off the floor, dusting his pants off as we went to the front to see Show Pony skate in the diner door. He handed me a piece of paper with notes of what he saw while he was in the zones.

“Killjoys you have forty something dracs making their way to zone seven about five minutes ago.” I told them crumpling up the paper in a ball, throwing it in a bin.

“See? You jinxed it Mikes.” Gerard said accusingly as they started to get what they needed.

“Shut up, Gee.”

It didn’t take long for them to get ready. In less than three minutes Frank and Mikey were already in the car. Gerard, Grace and Ray were arguing about Grace going.

“But-“

“Grace Dakota Jeanette Toro you’re staying here and that’s final!” Ray growled cutting her off, pushing her back inside the door. Grace looked over at Gerard with pleading eyes, begging to go. Gerard just shook his head before going to the car, climbing in the driver’s seat.

“Hey Baby Doll why don’t you help Show Pony and I with the radio show?” I asked going back to the control room to turn the radio on and set up what needed to be set up. I heard Ray say thank you and Grace sigh sadly. I heard the car star up and drive off. Show Pony and Grace came in to the control room sitting on the dirty couch next to the monitors as I pressed the button to start speaking in to the microphone for the radio.

Look alive, Sunshine
109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit
You're here with me: Dr. Death Defying
I'll be your surgeon, your proctor, your helicopter
Pumpin' out the slaughtermatic sounds to keep you alive
A system failure for the masses, anti-matter for the master plan
Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny

This one's for all of you rock'n'rollers
All you crash queens and motor babies

Listen up!
The future is bulletproof!
The aftermath is secondary!
It's time to do it now and do it loud!
Killjoys, make some noise!
♠ ♠ ♠
The first actual chapter of the story :D
the next chapter I write will be in Astro's point of view.
But now it's Dimond's turn :D

Send us some lovin'?

-Rae