Glitter

Chapter 14

I made a quick left turn at the next light and drove into the danker and more ran down part of Vegas. It had been a long time since I'd been here. The last time I had been here it was to pull either Riley or Ronnie's ass out of some crack house when one of them were too far gone to drive.

However this time I would be dragging no one from anywhere. I drove until I found the familiar dilapidated apartment building. I parked and locked my car before hurrying inside and up the five flights to apartment 5D.

Raising my hand up to knock on the door I hesitated only a moment, my mind wondering if I truly wanted to do this before rapping my knuckles against the wood, some of the red paint flaking and falling to the floor.

There was movement from the other side and a moment later the door swung open. Standing on the other side was a man with the same dark hair and eyes as Ronnie and I. His face was drawn and his body was thin. He wore a pair of shaggy jeans and a wife beater. He was my oldest brother Riley.

"Regan?" he asked looking at me surprised.

"Yep. I'm back in town." I replied.

"Holy shit! C'mere!" he said and pulled me into a hug.

I hugged him back. It had been a long time since I'd last seen him and despite the fact that we had never been close I had missed him.

"C'mon in and I grab you a beer or something." he said moving so I could walk inside.

"So what brings you to this part of town? Ronnie fall off the wagon?" he smirked as we walked into his apartment.

"Um. No. I have other reasons." I replied sitting down on the threadbare couch.

Riley paused as he pulled two beers out of the fridge and gave me an odd look before walking back over and handing me one of the bottles, "So what? You just came to see me?"

"Yes and no." I replied and a moment later burst into tears.

"Whoa! What's going on?!? C'mon Ray tell big brother what happened." He said and pulled me close.

The whole ordeal came tumbling from my mouth as I sobbed on his chest. I told him about everything from Garret to Max and I getting back together to the oxys to the events of today.

"I'm sorry Riley. I guess I'm using you just to get high but I just...I don't know where else to go. I need to...be out of it and you were the only person I knew that could help me." I replied.

Riley laughed, "It's okay little sister. I understand trust me. If anyone gets you it's me." he smiled and got up from the couch and walked to the dresser.

He rifled around in a drawer next to the door and a moment later came back with a few things in hand. He sat a couple of spoons, a couple of needles, an alcohol swab, a lighter, a length of tubing, cotton and a small orange balloon.

"Now I know that you're used to Oxys but this is way better." he smiled.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Heroin." he replied.

"Heroin?" I asked.

He nodded, "Don't worry I won't let you OD okay? I know what I'm doing." he replied.

I watched as prepped two needles, lying them on the table before turning to me. Taking the tubing he pushed my sleeve up and tied the tubing around my arm. It took a moment but he found a vein and pushed one of the needles into my arm, slowly removing the tourniquet and slowly pushing in the plunger.

It burned as it began to flow through my veins. Riley pulled out the needle and a few moments later I began to feel the effects. I had never felt like this on Oxys. This was amazing. Max and Ronnie and Garret and all that shit disappeared. I lay back on the couch and hazily watched Riley shoot up.

Lying in Riley's apartment I felt relaxed and content. As far as I was concerned I could stay here forever. Fuck everyone else. I didn't need them.