The Forest

Who? What? When?

The next morning Donabella and James awoke very refreshed for a day of hard work. Donabella got dressed while James ordered breakfast; pancakes with ice cream, maple syrup and butter. They ate in silence while birds sang outside the window. “I didn’t mean you were really an emo the other day... it was just... your hair.” Donabella said quietly. To which James replied “I know, I know.”

Once breakfast was finished they headed downstairs to ask the front desk if they had any old newspapers concerning ‘The Forest’. Of course, they did and warily handed the paper clippings over, all 35 of them. It seemed like they wanted to get rid of them... or at least fighure out what was happening in the forest.

They read through them all aloud seeing the exact same thing on every clipping, “Killed by an animal attack”

Debbie Arnold, Age 37, Killed by animal attack.

Fiona Lucas, age 23, Killed by animal attack.

They all said “Killed by animal attack” something had to be up.
“This is some wild animal, killing all of these innocent people.” Donabella exclaimed.
“Indeed, but why didn’t they find it?” James replied.
“Maybe they were much too chicken to search a forest...” Donabella said mockingly.

...


So they decided to do it themselves, they got ready in hiking boots, explorer hats and compasses they also were prepared for a bit of orienteering, incase they got lost.

They first had to hire a car, to get out to Amanda’s cottage to search around before heading into the misty, beckoning forest. Their search came to an end, after little time spent, as it was a small cottage. So they decided that they would have to toughen up, and endure what may lie in the forest.

James went in first, while Donabella secured a red ribbon to a thin tree trunk. She quickly followed, not wanting to be left behind and made sure they were headed the right way, north... but the compass kept twitching, it wouldn’t stay straight, it was like the bermuda triangle, but in the depths of a forest.

She stopped to secure another red ribbon, and saw bloody marks leading away from her and called James back. “James.... Uhh, I think I found something...” She said not knowing what to expect.

They followed the bloody tracks until they were in the magnificent clearing that so many had died in. They were in awe, it was possibly the most beautiful thing they had ever seen, the rocks, sparkling, a water hole, and light shining through the canopy over head.

Slowly, the glistening man, Silvestri, entered the clearing behing them, and screamed “WHAT DO YOU WANT!?”

“Who.. Who are you, and why are you in this deep dark forest?” James asked suspiciously.

"I’m Silvestri, I live in the forest, I’ve seen many around here, they all end up dying though...” in the most sincere voice he could muster.

“Why do they die?” Donabella asked curiously.

“ANIMAL ATTACKS! That’s al they ever are okay, now I think you should be on your way, and out of this forest.” Silvestri said knowing they were slowly becoming more aware of what had happened.

He knew, more would be coming... He knew.