If I Wake up Tomorrow, Will You Still Be Here?

Chapter Eleven.

"What - what are you doing here, Rob?" Zoe groaned, her face covered by one of the many pillows scattered on her bed.

"I couldn't help what she saw," he ran his fingers through his messy hair, "I couldn't sleep one night, I wrote down everything I felt and Kristen saw it."

"What did it say?" Zoe asked, nervously, still refusing to meet his eyes.

"A lot of things," he smirked.

"Wow, evasive," Zoe laughed, pulling the pillow away from her face and looking up toward him. He hovered at the doorway, his back pressed against the doorframe, "Did you really break it off with her?"

Rob looked toward his feet, then back up to the ceiling before refocusing his vision on Zoe, "Yeah I did. I couldn't wait another two years to break it off."

"And because you ended it, you think what?" Zoe raised her eyebrow, propping herself up on her elbows, "Maybe you should be comforting Kristen right now?"

"Ashley followed her here with me. She'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about," Zoe's quizzical look lead Rob to explain, "I've put you through hell and I didn't want you to have to deal with it alone again this time."

"Rob," Zoe started, but her voice cut off. Her eyes swept over his physique and she felt her heart thumping rapidly. He was undeniably gorgeous; most people would say perfect. Zoe knew he had flaws; she could name them on one hand, although those flaws meant little to her. He could be cocky and arrogan, but at the same time he was sweet and affectionate. He had cheated on her, left her pregnant and alone, but she was amazed by how vehemently he was working to right his wrongs.

Her voice returned to her, "This isn't some sick form of making it up to me for a year ago?"

Rob looked startled, "What? Zoe, no."

"I don't get it?" Zoe sighed, sitting up, her feet swinging gently off the bed, "You were gone a year. I finally found someone who I could see myself with, and you walk back into my life."

"You said yourself that you were happier seeing me in your hallway than you had been with Kellan," Rob smirked, his eyebrow raising in satisfaction.

"Of course I was," Zoe let her head fall back in defeat.

Rob stepped forward, closing the gap between himself and Zoe. He saw her chest heaving slightly, and couldn't help but smile at her increased pace of breath, "And why is that?"

"Because I love you," she whispered.

"And Kellan?" Rob stepped forward once more, his hands brushing her hips, causing her to let out a slight moan.

"I don't love him," she sighed, her breathing increasing rapidly, "yet."

"But you could fall in love with him?" Rob spoke, his voice so soft that it gave Zoe shivers.

Zoe swallowed nervously, the lump forming in her throat didn't seem to be disappearing, "Not - not with you around."

"Maybe I won't leave," he grinned.

"Maybe I don't want you to," she smiled.

"What are we going to do?" Rob asked, wrapping his arms around her tightly, looking down into her baby blue eyes and feeling whole again.

"I have to break it off with Kellan," Zoe sighed, resting her head on Rob's chest and inhaling his unique scent of cologne, cigarettes and mint. Rob held onto her tightly, kissing the top of her head delicately.

"Only if you want to?" Rob responded, his heart rapidly thumping by allowing her to divulge in that option, "Maybe I should make myself sparse for a little while, you know? Just while you end it?"

"Yeah, I should probably have some time to myself," Zoe agreed, her eyes closing as Rob pressed a gentle kiss on her nose.

"I have a press conference in Vancouver coming up soon, I'll be there for a week. Is that enough time you think?" Rob asked, raising one of his eyebrows.

"Won't Kellan be there?"

"Nope, it's uh - just me, Taylor and uh - Kristen," Rob stuttered, his hands trembeling on her hips.

"How am I supposed to trust that nothing is going to happen, Rob?" Zoe shook her head, pulling her body away from Rob's, "I'm going to end it with Kellan for his sake, but I just can't trust you away, Rob. I'm sorry."

"But Zo -" Rob started, only to get cut off by Zoe.

"Please, just go."

"Again?" Rob shook his head in disbelief, "Zoe, I thought we were working things out?"

"Please just leave me alone for tonight. Let me think things over." Zoe smiled, her arms encircling Rob's shoulders in a soft embrace.

"Alright, if that's what you want," Rob shrugged, "I'll call you tomorrow before I leave for Vancouver, okay?" Rob smiled, his face suddenly an inch away from her face.

"Okay," Zoe nodded, pressing her lips gently to Rob's. She smiled once more, her whole body tingling. She felt more alive than she had felt in a long time.

"I love you," he whispered, his breath whisking past her neck and sending shivers down her spine.

"I love you too," Zoe smiled, shocked that those words had come out of her mouth after spending months reciprocating Kellan's 'I love you' with a 'thanks'.