If I Wake up Tomorrow, Will You Still Be Here?

Chapter Fifteen.

Rob sighed as he fell onto the hotel bed. This all felt bizarre to him, considering the fact that for the last year and a half he had shared every hotel room with Kristen. Now, in accordance with the director and executive producer, they were to be situated on separate floors. He missed having someone next to him, someone to wake up to. He had had a fleeting thought of sneaking onto Kristen’s floor, which was three flights of stairs away, and spending the night with her. But his thoughts had regaled at the thought of Zoe, sitting at home alone. Every memory of her flooded his mind and he couldn’t help but smile that crooked, lopsided smile.

----------------------

Five years prior, Rob had been invited to a party by a good friend from school, Max, who promised ‘quality broads and booze’, and he hadn’t failed to deliver. As Rob had stepped into the room, he noticed the overwhelming abundance of beautiful women, who all seemed to be even more abundantly drunk. A honey blonde had stepped forward, an ice cold beer in between her hands. She giggled slightly at him, pressing the beer towards him and running her long, pink-nailed fingers down the front of his flannelette shirt. He couldn’t remember her name five minutes after she said it. He had just been in it for the ride, and what a ride it had been.

Returning from the bedroom, slightly dishevelled and displaying a full head of sex hair, he ran into a slender brunette. She was perfect. That was the only word he had been able to describe her. Auburn hair rolled off her shoulders, that were uncovered by her white, strapless babydoll dress. As he stepped out of her pathway, he noticed her bright baby blue eyes glance up at him through dark lashes and a small smile form on perfectly pink lips. Rob wanted to talk, wanted to ask if she was single but as he opened his mouth, the only thing he could muster was a jumbled stutter. The gorgeous woman brisquely stepped past him and onto the outside balcony. Rob watched in awe as she lit up a slender cigarette with a bejewelled lighter, and took that moment as his chance to introduce himself to her. Maybe he could manage a double-header.

Making his way to the sliding glass door, he felt someone stopping him. Praying it wasn’t that blonde he had just escaped from, he had turned around awkwardly, seeing his friend, Tom.

“What’s up?” Rob had asked, raising an eyebrow at Tom and turning back to ensure ‘beautiful’ was still there. She was.

“Don’t bother, man. Unattainable,” Tom had said, anunciating the word ‘un’.

“I haven’t tried yet,” Rob had winked, watching as Tom shook his head but allowed him to walk towards her anyway.

Opening the door, Rob noticed her glance back at him, before turning her body around to rest on the banister, the white cigarette emitting smoke from between her lips. He smirked as she arched an eyebrow in his direction. There was not a word spoken between the two, but Rob knew, in that instant, that this girl was something different. She outstretched her long, olive arm and spoke in a voice that Rob thought was fitting for an angel.

“I’m Zoe,” she smirked, his hand finally finding hers, “And you are the very loud grunter from Max’s room?”

Rob had looked to the ground, his cheeks turning a slight shade of pink. He nodded sheepishly, still not meeting Zoe’s gaze, and scratched the back of his head, nervously, “Uh I – I guess so? I’m Rob.”

She pressed the bottle of beer to her lips and took a sip, “Well I walked past Max’s room and heard this god awful grunting noise; two minutes later I walked past again and you’re at the door, disheveled and with that head of sex hair. I just put two and two together.”

“You’re a clever one then,” Rob smirked. He didn’t want to confirm her suspicions otherwise he never would be able to land her in bed.

“I’m smart enough to watch out for you, Mr. Pattinson,” she laughed, transfering the conversation before Rob could question how the hell she knew his last name, “So how do you know Max?”

She turned away from him, her elbows propped against the railing, beer and cigarette still in hand. He watched the wind blowing softly through her brown curls and for a moment his face contorted as he felt a flutter, which for the first time was not situated in his pants, rather about thirty centimeters higher.

He was taken out of his trance by her subtle cough, “Do you even know Max?”

“Yeah I do. We’ve been friends since school,” Rob smiled, stepping next to her, his elbows mimicking hers, “And you?”

“My best friend is Billie,” she paused as Rob raised an eyebrow, unsure of who the hell Billie was, “Max’s twin sister.”

“Oh right,” Rob smiled sheepishly, “I’m well aware you’ve been ‘warned’ about me, but how does dinner tomorrow night sound?”

“Are you actually offering to date someone before fucking them?” His heart thumped against his ribcage again as she called him out on his bluff.

“I guess you could say that,” Rob smirked, his eyebrow raising in confidence, “Unless you’re willing to fuck first?”

“Unfortunately, neither of those are options.” With that she stubbed out her cigarette and made her way to the door.

“You sure? Cause I’m guarenteed to give you a good time.” He had wiggled his eyebrows in a last minute bid to be seductive but it faltered.

“The only person I heard having a good time in that room, love, was you.” Rob felt his body melt at the seductive smirk she had planted on her face, before feeling his stomach drop as she stepped inside. He knew, at that moment, that he had to have Zoe.

--------------

Becoming a permanent fixture of Max’s house, Rob knew he had to run into Zoe sometime. Although he had, time after time, his mission to bed her had remained stagnant. Max andTom had made thousands of jokes on his behalf; she was unattainable and nothing he did was going to change that.

“Maybe she’s a lesbian?” Rob raised his eyebrow, taking a sip of his beer. His eyes carefully scanned the balcony, making a mental note of the way she moved as she smoked, or laughed at Billie.

“Uh no, she’s very much straight.” Max shook his head.

“How the fuck do you know that?” Rob smirked, glancing back at the doorway.

“Cause Billie’s tried hitting on her thousands of times, and its gone no where. If she was gonna be a lesbian, she’d be a lesbian with Billie,” Max fell back into the lounge cushions, “If I didn’t know any better I’d think you were falling in love.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I just can’t get her, thats all,” Rob shook his head, glancing at her once more and feeling his breath catch in his throat, “You always want what you can’t have.”

“You’re never going to get her!” Tom groaned, placing his head in his hands out of frustration, “Why do you have to be so goddamn stubborn?”

“I’ll get her,” Rob nodded cockily, “You just wait.”

-------------

After almost a year of perstering and annoying, Rob finally got the date he had been begging for. Zoe hadn’t looked thrilled at the prospect, instead biting her lip and rolling her eyes, nodding gently. She ended the conversation, “If this doesn’t work out, which I wouldn’t count on, you have to promise to leave me alone.”

Rob had nodded, feeling sheepish before rushing out to finally declare that Zoe Amelia Wilkins was not unattainable.

Two nights later, Rob and Zoe had strolled over to a nearby diner; not particularly classy but warm and comforting. Zoe seemed to take a liking to it. As they sat down at a window booth, they engaged in their first real conversation. Rob couldn’t believe how smart and witty she was, and for the first time he didn’t feel like rushing her home to his bedroom. It had been an instantaneous connection, one that had spanned four years.