If I Wake up Tomorrow, Will You Still Be Here?

Chapter Two.

Breathing ceased on the wide, wooden balcony. Rob was sure he had heard her breath catch firmly in her slender thought, as well. Words were unable to formulate within his mind, let alone forcing them to escape his mouth. His groan was soft, a slow rumble that was guttral and slightly frightening. But she had ignored it, standing up and placing another slim, white cigarette between her plump pink lips. She lighted it and inhaled a large gust of smoke.

Rob coughed twice, lighting up a cigarette himself, and finally allowed his voice to break through the uncomfortablility, "Who is he?"

"Let's not go there at the moment, okay? I thought we were having a good time?" she responded. She was always the peacemaker. In a family of five kids, it was her job as the oldest to maintain the peace for her mother's sanity.

"You've met someone already?" He could barely anunciate the words.

"Rob, it's been a year. What did you want me to do? I couldn't be unhappy for the rest of my life, could I?" Her voice was a whisper and it crushed him to know she was right.

"You know I would've come back eventually," he whispered back. He was by her side on the balcony rail now, but he didn't know when he had placed himself there.

"I seen you in the papers with Kristen. I knew I was waiting for a lost cause," she mumbled, her voice raw and hurt, "I had met this guy in summer at the beach. We clicked, but nothing happened for a really long time. We went on a date about a month ago and we've gone from there."

"So you two are like together now?"

"Kinda, yeah I guess you could say that." Her voice broke and Rob knew he had caused her pain, again. He felt like an ass. After everything he had put her through, he had come back after a year for some more. She didn't deserve that, not at all.

"Who is he?" He composed had composed himself pretty well now, barely letting any emotion spill into then question, but he knew she'd be able to see right through him. That's what three years of living, breathing and sleeping with one another did to people.

"Kellan," her head bowed slightly at the name, "I didn't know, Rob. He told me who he was and I didn't know. It was only last week that he spoke about what he did."

"How could you not know?" He shook, angry breaking his words.

"You know I never watched your movies, Rob. You never let me, remember?"

He opened his mouth to protest, but he knew she was right. He hated her watching his movies, in case something hurt her. He thanked himself for not letting her watch Twilight, for she was sure to have seen the emotion and connection he had developed with Kristen, which he knew would cause her pain, especially since he had ditched her like a bag of potatoes to be with Kristen.

Not that that part of the breakup was especially clear to Zoe. She had been informed that their relationship wasn't right anymore, and he had walked out the door. She hadn't even contacted him. But he was glad to have been left alone, to enjoy his up and coming fame with someone that knew all about it.

It was only after three months did Rob start thinking about her again. The way she smelt, the way she had curled up gently in bed next to him, her fingers entwined like a pretzel with his. Her cooking, her home, her addictions, her voice, everything. He had craved her again and found it hard to cope without her. He had become angry at himself now. Why didn't he come back then, instead of waiting nine months and allowing her to move on?

She spoke again, breaking the rising tension, "But its pretty obvious now why you never let me. I was pretty stupid to not have seen that one coming."

"It's not your fault. Please don't feel bad," he whispered, and he knew he had meant it.

"Anyway," she paused, "I put it off for as long as I could stand." With that, she ran her fingers through her hair.

He watched mesmerized before speaking again, "Are you happy?"

She sighed, flicking her cigarette off the balcony, then peeking over to make sure it hadn't hit anyone, "I was happier when I seen you in my hallway."

Rob's heart skipped a beat and he took a long drag of his cigarette and a swig of his beer to restart it again, "Then -"

"Rob, I'm not going to ruin her relationship, the way she ruined mine," he made to protest but she cut him off, "Losing you killed me, literally. I was a ghost for months. I've seen the way she looks at you, and I can't ruin that for her. Its not right."

He smiled at her compassion. She really was one of a kind.

"But," she continued, "I'd like for us to be friends."

"Friends," he repeated her word, unsure that he could ever want that from her without more.

"Good," she smiled, "now dinner's probably ready, so lets go eat."

She made to walk inside, her empty wine goblet firmly planted in her hands, but his arm came out reflexively to stop her. Her wrist implanted in his warm hand sent shivers up his spine but he shook them off, "Don't read that letter."

"If you took the time to write it," she paused and his eyes boring into hers made her shake slightly, "I want to read it."

The world was silent, crumbling around them and Zoe couldn't help but feel lost in his brown eyes. Her mouth let out a slight breath and she groaned in acknowledgment. He paused, unsure of what to do now. But his heart had already made up his mind. His lips hit hers in a brief moment. His heart stopped, the first thought coming through his mind wondering if she'd push him away.

Suprisingly she didn't, rather pulling him closer and running her fingers through his messy, copper hair. His hand automatically moved to her chest, able to hear her heart beating rapidly behind her ribcage.

"I love you," he pulled away for a moment to speak.

She didn't respond, only pulled him closer again and her lips met his.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be much appreciated :)