Sequel: Operation Beautiful
Status: When you finish, comment! Tell me what your favorite part was ♥

It Started with a Bet...

"Janice, I need to talk to you. Mind if I come in?"

"Haley, what's up?" I'm standing in front of Janice's house, courtesy of Trevor's directions. Yesterday's "party" began with fun and games and ended with Spike leaving and Clarice ranting and raving over how Matt was driving her insane.

"Janice, I need to talk to you. Mind if I come in?" Though it seemed otherwise, I wasn't so sure I was doing the right thing. This is what friends did for one another, right?

Janice nods and leads me inside. I note with satisfaction that her nose is the slightest bit crooked.

"So, what did you need to talk to me about?"

"You've been hitting on Matt a lot lately." She laughs.

"I'm sorry, did you want a crack at him?"

"It makes everyone uncomfortable. You know he has a girlfriend, right?" She smirks and leans forward.

"Let me tell you a little secret, Haley." I lean forward as well, as though I'm really interested in her BS. "There are no decent guys in this world. All they want is your body. If you don't keep them interested, they'll leave."

"And you're saying Clarice is boring?" Janice shrugs and leans back.

"I've been with Matt for a couple months before. He's very loyal. He just likes a little more...excitement than Clarice is willing to give him."

"So you're saying their relationship won't last anyway and you have nothing to do with it falling apart?" This is bull.

"I'm just helping Matt realize his mistake. Do you really think he'd let me flirt as much as I have been if he was happy with Clarice?"

"You make yourself sound like a saint instead of a homewreaker." I'm not sure what else to say. On some level what she's saying makes sense, but to get between Clarice and Matt is wrong.

"I'm not a saint, Haley. No one is. I'm just doing what I can to get by." She shuts her eyes and leans back. I look around and realize just how empty her house is.

"Janice, where are your parents?" She cracks open one eye.

"Where are yours?" It's a cold, defensive question. I think about it for a second.

"I...I'm not sure. My mom's probably in France or Italy and my dad should be in Shanghai."

"You too, huh?" No. She must be tricking me. Janice is the stereotypical bitch. The one who tried to tear Clarice and Matt apart. The one who helped Christa torture me. The one who'd do anything to get what she wants. She's lying. Why would she open up to me of all people, even for a second?

"Janice, you're wrong. Not all guys are out for your body. You just need to find the right one. Just because you haven't met a guy like that doesn't mean they don't exist." She snorts.

"Just because I haven't seen a unicorn doesn't mean they don't exist."

"Janice, getting between Matt and Clarice is wrong, whether or not they're suited for each other. And if Matt's going to sit there and let it happen, he's probably not right for you, either." She stands up angrily.

"You don't know anything about Matt, Haley. So just shut up!" I stand up to leave.

"Janice, I may know nothing about you or Matt, but I know enough to say that what you're doing is slutty and disgusting. If their relationship is doomed to failure, just let it happen. You think Matt will take you back now? All he's seen you do is hit on every guy in sight: regardless of their relationship status. And if he takes you back after that, is he worth the ground he walks on? Why do you think he started going out with Clarice? Because he doesn't want another girl like you." Her face is red, tears threaten to spill from her eyes. She's furious.

"Get out," she hisses angrily. I walk towards the door.

"Good bye, Janice."

As I head home in Trevor's car I dial Spike's number and put it on speaker.

" 'ello, love," a clipped British accent greets. I can't help but crack a smile.

"Spike, why did Matt and Janice break up?"

"Hold up. First of all, did I make you smile?"

"You always make me smile."

"Good. So what was the question?"

"Matt and Janice. Why'd they split?"

"That's an odd question."

"Why is it that you can never give me a straight answer?"

"I thought you enjoyed listening to my voice," he pouts.

"Just answer the question, Spike," I laugh.

"Okay, honestly I don't know. And I didn't care either. She's such a slut." I nod, even though he can't see me.

"Do you think you could find out for me?"

"Ooh. A little snooping. What's it worth to you?"

"What do you want?"

"A godchild." I can't help it. I start laughing.

"What?!"

"And Trevor has to be the father." His voice is completely serious.

"You're an idiot!" I splutter, my face turning bright red in the rearview mirror.

"I'm taking that as a yes. Make sure to pay up in the next 20 years." He hangs up before I can protest.

I pull into Trevor's driveway, not sure if I can look at him without blushing. Oh well. I climb out of the car and lock it, vaguely aware of the fact that there's a car in my driveway.

I enter the house and yell "I'm home!" Trevor appears from the kitchen.

"Any scratches?"

"Nope." I toss him the keys as the doorbell rings. I turn around to open it, Trevor behind me.

"Haley?"

"Corey." Shit.

"So you've been living here?" Corey asks. He's sitting on my bed, I stand before him, guilty. I nod. "Why?"

"My parents no longer live with me so the Chois offered to take me in." I can't explain fully.

"That's not all, is it?" I just look down. "And it never occurred to you to inform your boyfriend that you're living with another guy? A guy who's been crushing on you for months now?" He stands up and looks at me, angry. "What else haven't you told me?"

"Corey, I-"

"I don't think this'll work." I open my mouth but he holds out his hand to stop me. "If it was just this, we could work it out but..." He raises my head, his beautiful brown eyes looking into mine. All I can see is pain. "You've never really liked me, have you?"

I almost fall to my knees right there. "Corey, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He won't look at me. I come closer, hesitantly putting my arms around him. He hugs me back.

"It's all my fault, Corey," I begin in a whisper. "You were perfect, you really were. But I couldn't show you how messed up I was. I just couldn't. I never really liked you but I selfishly kept you by my side, never even thinking of how you'd feel. In the end, my indifference drove us apart. But Corey," I can feel him shake under me. "Corey, I- even if we were to go back, I don't know if I could've done any differently. I'm so sorry."

I made him cry. I made this beautiful boy cry. And through his tears he asks, "Haley, I pushed you didn't I? You...you weren't really ready for a relationship with anyone, were you?"

"No. Even if Trevor were to have asked me out, I wouldn't have been ready." It's true. He swallows hard before continuing.

"I don't think I can forgive you just yet. But if I can...can we be friends? Proper friends? The kind you don't keep secrets from?"

I nod as he pulls me closer. "Of course, Corey."

"I really should have known," he sniffs with a forced laugh. "Considering we never even kissed."

"I can't, Corey, I really can't." He nods.

"I know. Haley, why are you so messed up?" He deserves to know. He really does.

"Trina." That's all I can choke out.

"You never really recovered, did you?" I shake my head.

"Haley, you're a beautiful, beautiful person. Don't destroy yourself by clinging to the past, okay? I want you to be happy." Those words. Those six little words. After everything I've done to him. I can feel it. I can feel myself wanting to cry. But I can't. I promised I wouldn't. Corey extracts himself from my embrace and kisses my cheek. "Good bye, love."
♠ ♠ ♠
Initially my plan was to make Corey a cheating bastard. And then I changed my mind. I don't like making characters evil for no reason. Though after this chapter, I kind of wish I had gone with the "cheating idiot who has a girl back in Belgium and is just playing with Haley's heart" idea. What do you guys think?

Meanwhile, who thinks Janice is just playing with Haley's head?