Sequel: Hit the Books

Study

Anxiety

After that night Bailey had been avoiding Mitch like he had the plague. She still wasn't sure if she loved him or not. Bailey's mother was beginning to get annoyed with her being at home but Bailey refused to go to the doctors. Avoiding Mitch was not the only reason Bailey hadn't been going to school or work. She was having trouble breathing. Since Mitch had told her that he loved her Bailey's breathing had become quick and shallow.
"Bailey, please just go to the doctors today. I'm getting worried that it's not getting any better." her mother said.
"Fine. I'll make an appointment today." Bailey said.
"No ring now." her mother said firmly. Bailey groaned, got out of bed and trudged to the kitchen. She picked up the phone and dialled the number. She managed to get an appointment with a doctor she'd never been to before.
"When's your appointment?" her mother asked.
"Twelve forty." Bailey mumbled heading back to her room.
"You make sure you be there Bailey. I mean it." her mother said.
"I'll go. Now go to work." Bailey ordered. Her mother said goodbye and left.
"Finally." Bailey sighed going back to bed.
Bailey was woken by her phone ringing. She groaned in annoyance and looked at the caller ID. Mitch. Bailey ignored it and waited until she saw she had another missed call added to the growing list. Looking at the clock she jumped out of bed and started running around like a headless chook. Luckily she was in her car and on her way to the medical centre by 12:30pm.

"So Bailey, you hardly have a record here at all. Do you see another doctor?" Dr Len asked.
"No, I just don't go to the doctors often."
"Then what brought you here today?" he asked.
"I'm having trouble breathing." Bailey said. "I don't have asthma or any other breathing issues, this is only recent."
"Okay, I'm going to check your lungs and heart rate and then we'll see what's going on." Dr Len said. Bailey nodded and tried to relax as he did the check. Dr Len did say anything other than instructions of what she had to do.
"Well Bailey, there is nothing wrong with your lungs; your airways are clear and fine. Now may I ask you some personal questions?" Dr Len asked sitting at his desk.
"Yes."
"Have you been under any stress lately? or have there been things on your mind?" Dr Len asked pen ready. Bailey thought before answering.
"Yeah, a little bit." Dr Len jotted some notes down.
"Such as?"
"Family, school and umm, yeah school." Bailey said, not entirely comfortable with telling her doctor about Mitch.
"From what you've told me Bailey you're symptoms match those of anxiety." Dr Len said. "I'm going to give you a prescription for these pills, and you can repeat the prescription five times before I want yo to come back and see me."
"Yep."
"They are a form of antidepressants, but they also treat anxiety. I also would advise you to come and talk to the counsellor. If you fill out some forms for depression you can get the sessions for free, that is however your choice." Dr Len told her. "So I will give you the prescription, go and get it filled and then come back and see me when you've finished the five sets, or come see the counsellor." Bailey paid for her appointment and hurried out into her car. She had a form of depression, what was she going to tell her parents?