Sequel: Hit the Books

Study

Stress

She pressed hang up on her phone for the sixth time that day. She hadn't been to school all week, neither had Sian. Since the results had come back on Monday the girls had been planning a way to tell their parents.
“Can’t we just not tell them?” Sian asked hopefully.
“Yeah ‘cause they’re not going to notice your stomach growing.” Bailey said sarcastically. The stress was getting to her. Between worrying about Sian, trying to think of a way of telling their parents and keeping on top of the homework Tilly was emailing to her Bailey’s anxiety was not improving.
“It was just a suggestion.” Sian muttered bitterly.
“Sorry.” Bailey sighed. “I didn’t mean to snap, I’m just worried.”
“I know.” Sian mumbled. “So am I.” The two sisters sat in silence for a couple of minutes before Sian took deep breath.
“What if they kick me out?” Sian asked.
“They won’t Sian. You know they won’t.” Bailey said trying not to let her breathing get the better of her.
“Bailey.” Sian whispered. “I can’t be a mother. I’m not mature enough.” Bailey couldn’t help but laugh. If she could choose anyone in the world to be a mother it would be Sian, she just had a way with kids. As it was she was going to be a primary school teacher.
“Sian. You’ll be fine. Mum and dad will help you, I’ll help and the father will help you too.” Bailey said soothingly.
“No he won’t.” Sian said.
“What makes you say that?” Bailey asked.
“I know don’t know him Bails. All I know is his first name.” Sian sighed, tears rolling down her cheeks again.
“What’s his name?” Bailey asked. In the week that had past Bailey had never thought to ask who the guy was that he little sister had slept with.
“His name is Jimmy. He doesn’t go to our school, I don’t know anything about him.” She cried.
“I’ll find out who he is.” Bailey promised. “Now can I ask you something?”
“Yeah?” Sian asked wearily.
“Can I tell Tilly? She can help too, you know she loves you like a sister.” Bailey asked.
“Yeah she’d find out soon enough anyway.” Sian said.
“How about I get her to come over now and you can tell her?” Bailey suggested. Sian just nodded.
“I’ll be back soon.” Bailey promised walking out of the room and to the kitchen. She dialled Tilly’s number and waited for her friend to pick up.
“Hello?” Tilly answered.
“Hey Tills, you busy at the moment?” Bailey asked.
“I was beginning to think you’d died.” Tilly said ignoring Bailey question.
“Nope, I’m alive. But are you busy?”
“No, why?”
“Wanna come over? I have to tell you something.” Bailey said.
“I’ll be there in five.” Tilly said hanging up. Sure enough five minutes later Tilly was knocking on her door.
“Hey.” Bailey said opening the door.
“Hey, what’s up?” Tilly asked, concerned etched into her face.
“Come on.” Bailey said locking the door and leading her into the lounge room.
“Hey Sian.” Tilly greeted the teenager with a smile.
“Hey Tills.” Sian said sadly.
“Well you two are little rays of sunshine today aren’t you?” Tilly said sitting down beside Sian. Bailey leant against the wall and waited for Sian to tell her.
“Are you guys sick or something?” Tilly asked.
“No.” Sian sighed.
“Then what’s wrong?”
“I’m pregnant.” Sian wailed.
“You’re pregnant?” Tilly repeated, her face going white as a sheet. Sian nodded and Tilly looked over at Bailey.
“So this is why you two haven’t been at school?” she asked.
“Yeah.” Bailey said.
“How about we watch some movies?” Tilly suggested. The sisters agreed and they put on Alvin and the Chipmunks to lighten the mood. After about half an hour Sian fell asleep and Bailey turned off the movie. Tilly pulled a rug over the her and the two girls went to Bailey’s room.
“How far along is she?” Tilly asked as soon as the door was shut.
“Only about three weeks.” Bailey said.
“Shit.” Tilly mumbled. “What are you going to do?”
“I dunno, that’s why I called you. I honestly don’t know what to do Tilly.” Bailey sighed sitting on her bed. “I’m scared out of my fucking mind!”
“Hey, it’ll all work out alright? We’ll help her through this.” Tilly said rubbing her back.
“Thanks. I’m sorry I just needed to tell someone. I was going insane.” Bailey sighed.
“It’s what I’m here for.” Tilly said. “But I’ll tell you one thing, Vernon’s getting seriously annoying, please call him or something.”
“I will eventually.”
“Please do it soon, he keeps cornering me.” Tilly begged. “Oh and Mr Watson is worried about you too. He’s asked me a couple of times when you’re coming back. It’s weird.”
“He’s just missing having someone to move every lesson.” Bailey laughed.
“Probably.” Tilly agreed.