Sequel: Hit the Books

Study

***ing Asshole

“Bails I wanna talk to you.” Lance said as they walked to their cars. His sister was already waiting for him at his red commodore.
“What’s up?” Bailey asked slowing down.
“You were my best friend before we, you know.” He seemed to choke on his words.
“Dated?” Bailey offered.
“Yeah.” Lance nodded. “Dated. We were best friends before then.”
“I am aware of this.” Bailey smiled.
“You were the one person I could trust with anything and knew you wouldn’t judge me.” Lance sighed. “I’ve tried to find someone I can talk to without feeling like they’re judging me or are going to tell the world but I can’t.” Bailey raised an eyebrow in confusion.
“What about Catherine? I thought you guys were best friends?” she asked cautiously.
“She’s not you Bailey. We are constantly walking on eggshells around each other when we’re not fighting.” Lance explained.
“You guys are fighting?” Bailey asked casually.
“Don’t pretend like you haven’t noticed Bailey. Not much gets past you.” Lance laughed. It was true, Bailey had noticed. Their whole group had noticed.
“So what do you want to talk about?” Bailey asked, not really wanting to talk about Catherine.
“Will you be my best friend again?” Lance asked.
“Sure, I never stopped.” Bailey smiled opening her arms for him and he willingly walked in and held her tightly.
“Thanks Bails.” He whispered.

“Beats! Move.” Mitch barked from his desk. Bailey looked at him, anger flashing in her eyes.
“What for?” Bailey snapped.
“Talking, what do you think?” Mitch snarled.
“I wasn’t talking though!” Bailey said, she’d asked to borrow a pencil from Lance; that was it.
“You were talking, now move!” Mitch said firmly. Bailey glared at him before packing up her things and moving to the desk he was point at.
“Fucking asshole moving me again, who the hell does this prick think he is?” she muttered under her breath.
“Beats! See me after class.” Mitch seethed. The whole class was silent and the tension between Bailey and Mitch could be cut with a knife.

The lunchtime bell rang and the class packed up their things, everyone except Bailey who sat their staring daggers at her study teacher.
“Mother fucking douche bag.” She mumbled as he waited for all the other students to leave.
“We’ll see you at the wall Bails.” Lance called to her while Tilly waved sympathetically at her.
“Yeah, see yous there, this won’t take long.” Bailey said firmly.
“Don’t count on that Miss Beats.” Mitch snarled. Lance and Tilly hurried out of the room and Mitch got up and shut the door, making sure to lock it before going to sit on his desk.
“Why am I here?” Bailey snapped when he just stared at her.
“Because you called me a ‘fucking asshole’ and a ‘mother fucking douche bag’” Mitch said, calmness returning to his eyes.
“You deserved it. I wasn’t talking; I asked Lance for a pencil, that’s it!” Bailey complained.
“Are you going out with Lance again?” Mitch asked.
“What’s it to you? Apparently I’m not ‘mature’ enough for you.” Bailey said bitterly.
“I didn’t think you were but my mind has changed, given the circumstances.” Mitch said quietly.
“Given what circumstances?” Bailey asked, her voice becoming even again.
“Your sister.” Mitch said simply. Bailey remained silent and picked up all her stuff before walking over to the door.
“Why didn’t you just tell me?” Mitch pressed. Bailey still stayed silent as she tried to open the door before remembering it was locked.
“Bailey.” Mitch said softly.
“Because it was my problem to deal with!” Bailey cried. She’d snapped. She’d been trying to keep all these emotions inside for months but she couldn’t anymore. The tears ran down her cheeks and she dropped her books on the ground. Bailey slid down the door with her face in her hands, bawling her eyes out. Not even a second later she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her and pull her against a chest.
“Shh.” Mitch soothed kissing the top of her head.
“No! Mr Watson we’re not together anymore, I’m going.” Bailey said trying to break free of his grip.
“Bailey, you need to talk about this, it’s not healthy to keep it bottled up, your anxiety will get worse.” Mitch said softly, keeping his hold on her firm. Bailey looked at the floor.
“It’s gotten worse hasn’t it?” Mitch sighed. Bailey broke free of his grip and grabbed his keys and unlocked the door. She picked up her stuff, wiped her eyes and just as she was about to walk out the door Mitch caught her wrist.
“I love you.” He said firmly. Bailey felt her heart jump in her chest.
“Bye Mitch.” She sighed before walking down the corridor trying to calm her heart rate. Her heart longed to be with him but her head longed to move on.