Sequel: Hit the Books

Study

Cursing

Bailey was lying on her bed staring at the ceiling when Sian came in. She’d gotten huge and Bailey was sure she would give birth any day now.
“Bailey?” Sian whimpered.
“Yeah?” Bailey asked snapping out of her daze.
“I don’t feel good.” Sian said.
“Umm, ok then. Morning sickness?” Bailey suggested.
“My morning sickness finished seven months ago Bailey!” Sian snapped.
“Jeez, calm down. Just a suggestion!” Bailey said raising her hands in defeat and sitting up.
“Holy shit! That fucking hurts!” Sian swore at the top of her lungs. Bailey jumped, startled that her sister had sworn, and so loudly.
“Umm Bailey. I think my water just broke.” Sian mumbled. Bailey’s eyes went wide. No, this couldn’t be happening. Her parents were at their grandparents place.
“You mean you wet my bed?!” The shocked teenager screamed.
“BAILEY!” Sian screamed. “I need to get to a hospital now!”
“Oh right! Hospital! Bed’s are replaceable. Sisters kids aren’t! Got it!” Bailey panicked grabbing her keys, wallet and phone and running down stairs and out the door.
“I’ve forgotten something. Shit what the fuck have I forgotten?” Bailey whispered hurriedly to herself.
“Bailey!”
“Shit I forgot Sian!” Bailey said jumping out of the car and running back into the house to get her sister.
She found Sian trying to hobble to the door. Picking up her sister Bailey nearly collapsed under the weight.
“You’ve gotten heavier since last time I had to carry you.” She frowned.
“No shit Sherlock. I have a fucking baby inside me! And I swear Bailey if you don’t get me to a fucking hospital I will kill you!” Sian hissed in pain.
“Alright, alright no need for the cursing.” Bailey sighed.

They made it to the hospital in ten minutes with Bailey speeding most of the way.
“Umm, hi. My sister’s about to give birth so it would be great if you could do something about that.” Bailey said quickly to the woman at the reception desk.
“Sure. I’ll get her a wheel chair.” The woman hurried off and returned two minutes later with a wheel chair. Sian gratefully sat in it and a man came and wheeled her into the emergency room.
“Are you not going in with her?” the receptionist asked.
“I just have to call our parents.” Bailey said before walking outside and quickly dialling her mum’s number.
“Hello?” Mrs Beats answered.
“Sian’s giving birth.” Bailey said.
“What? Where?” Mrs Beats freaked out.
“At Flinders Hospital. We’re in emergency. I’m going in with her now but just thought I’d let you guys know so you can get down here asap because to be honest I have no idea what I’m doing!” Bailey panicked.
“Bailey, now is not the time to freak out. Go in there, Sian needs you.” Mrs Beats said firmly. Bailey nodded and hung up before going back into the hospital.

“You did so well Sian.” Bailey said looking at the baby boy in her sister’s arms.
“What’s his name?” the nurse asked, pen ready next to her clipboard.
“Seth James Beats.” Sian said quietly, gazing down at her new born child. It had been a very short labour and Mr and Mrs Beats had arrived five minutes before he was born. They’d cleaned Seth up five minutes ago and he was lying silently in his mother’s arms.
“Bailey, I need a favour.” Sian said.
“Yeah?”
“Can you call Jimmy? I want him to know he has a son.” Bailey nodded and took Sian’s phone off the table. She went outside again and punched Jimmy’s number into her own phone and listened to it ring. She’d met Jimmy a couple of times and while she hated him for getting her sister pregnant he seemed like a nice enough guy. Him and his parents were very persistent on being a part of the child’s life.
“Hello?”
“Hi, is this Jimmy?” Bailey asked.
“Yeah. Who is this?” he asked warily.
“It’s Sian’s sister Bailey.”
“Oh hey.” Jimmy said happily.
“I’m just ringing to let you know you have a son.” Bailey said with a smile.
“Really?” Jimmy choked after a minutes silence. “I have a little boy?”
“Yeah. His name is Seth.” Bailey said.
“Can I come down and see him?” Jimmy asked, it sounded like he was crying.
“I think Sian would like that.” Bailey said truthfully.
“I’ll be down there soon.”