Status: Active

Eyes Like Sunsets

Chapter Two

When I woke up in the morning, I felt disoriented and confused. I thrashed my way through my tangled covers, bolting up in my bed, before realizing that I was at my dad's house in Colorado. I groaned loudly and fell back down, smashing the pillow over my face in the process. While I laid awake in this abnormally large bed I recalled my dream from the night before:

“Gwynneith,” a voice called to me, “Do not forget what is important in your life. One mess up is not the end. Whatever happened to you in your past cannot be your fault.” I looked up into the face of the speaker and saw nothing visible. The voice was heard but the face was not revealed. I took this as a sign from God, telling me that I am not at fault for my mom's death, although a part of me believes it really was me.
“You can't just say that, I know it was all me. Just because I can't see your face right now, doesn't mean I can't see your aura. And it shines white, the color of evil for auras. Whatever you are is certainly not good so fuck off.” I spoke to the demon, clearly annoyed by this whole scenario.
“Don't forget who your messing with little girl.” The voice boomed over me as I flew backwards through darkness, for ages it seemed. I screamed before falling down a dark hole.


I shrugged off the dream immediately, realizing it was stupid and meaningless. Deciding sleep was a appropriate for a few more minutes. Clearly I was wrong, as I am about most things, when someone barged into my room, stomping over to the bed.
“Hey fat-ass get up. Breakfast is ready and you need to go to the store young lady.” Immediately realizing it was Lucas, I dug myself further under the covers, suddenly welcoming their warmth.
“You don't want me to do this, Gwynneith.” Lucas stated loudly. If only I could've seen his facial expression...
“Kay.” I mumbled tiredly, yawning under my pillows.

It took a good five seconds for me to register what was happening. Before I knew it the covers were ripped off of me and I was being lifted in the air. I screamed, careful not so swear since the little ones were around.
“Put me down. Now.” I reprimanded, smacking Lucas in the butt.,
“No. You didn't listen to me now you accept the consequences.” Lucas scolded, pretending to drop me.
I screeched and started kicking my legs, “Lucas! DOWN boy DOWN.” I yelled, laughing in the process. Finally, he obeyed. Dropping me, rudely, on the ground, laughing as I pouted by his actions.
“Sometimes I wish we weren't related.”I stated plainly.
Lucas bent down and pinched my cheeks, “oh nonsense wittle baby, you always want to be with me!” He finished in a baby voice.
“Your irritating” I responded before stomping away childishly.

I entered the kitchen to see utter madness. Dad was trying to get my little brothers to cooperate with him whilst they yelled and kicked, Gardenia was balancing plates of food on her slender arms and I, well I was just standing there in awe, laughing like mad.
“Gardenia!” I hollered over the chaos, “Need help?” I offered my arms to her in a kind gesture as she placed a few plates in my freckled arms. I carefully carried them over to the table and placed them in front of the kids, grabbing my own plate in the process and sitting down... away from my brothers.

Image


It was two pm and Gardenia and I had just finished our trip to the Garden of the Gods. Overall it was uneventful, I took pictures and Gardenia murmured silently to herself. Now, I was on my way to Sevens Falls. I gasped inaudibly when I entered the mountains. All around me mountains rocketed to the sky, climbing on top of each other. I was tempted to pull my car over but, there was nowhere to park. I stared wondrously at the mountains while my car drove up into the parking range, parking my car in lot 25.

I climbed out of my rather large vehicle and felt goosebumps prickle my skin from the sights in front of me. All around the mountains trapped me, waterfalls naturally flowing from under the parking grounds. A smile broke out on my face as I snapped pictures. If this was only the beginning, then I couldn't wait to see what lied inside the mountains itself.

My pace was fast as I excitedly made my way to the main entrance, where I paid for a ticket and walked on through. I groaned when I saw what was in front of me, 200+ stairs. Times like these were the times where I was enthused that I played soccer all my life. I turned to my right and noticed a extremely tall waterfall cascading from high up in the sky, to the lifeless ground below my feet. My camera took control of me and I found myself snapping pictures in all different angles and styles.

A satisfied smile played on my full lips, I turned towards the stairs and began to climb them. Slightly breathless at the first platform, and in need of water at the top. I dug around my satchel for my canteen and successfully found it, downing a third of it. My fingers toyed with the fabric wrapped around it before dumping it back into my bag. I moved forward and stopped abruptly. There was another large waterfall here, with a strange gouge in the side of the mountain, smoothed over from all the years of pounding water splashing onto it's surface.

My camera possessed me again and I snapped even more pictures, my Canon getting the best of me. I skipped a beat or two and found myself stomping up the last few stairs and onto the path. Here, there were two signs, one for a harder path and one for an easier. I checked my watch, it was 2:30 PM. I assumed I had about 2 and a half hours before the afternoon storm that I found out occurs well.. every afternoon. Plenty of time, I thought to myself proceeding down the harder hiking trail. I took pictures ever so often as I pulled my small body through the path. One third of the way there, I found a little shack looking thing, I found this the perfect opportunity to write. I smoothed my fingers over the rough steel bench before plopping down on it. My journal was a mixture of lyrics, sonnets, and my own personal thoughts. Never to be invaded by another. I opened the black leather book, and began to write:

October 24th, 2010

First full day in Colorado, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Gardenia is a sweetheart, dad is well... dad. Lucas is as always, irritating but, I love him anyways. And, my little brothers well, they were brothers after all. As of right now I'm sitting on a rusted steel bench at Sevens Falls, taking in my surroundings, feeling them comfort me. Now, I ought to write a sonnet, it has been awhile.

The mountains paint my plain face explosive colors
I sit and share my hurt feelings to no other
Locked away in a dead mirror full of hatred
Who ever thought this image could be so tainted?
In my greatest despair, I sing of lifeless love
Never again to remorse an unborn lover
My frozen fingers linger on my torn heartbeat
Longing for the mountains to uncover the white sleet
But, as for me, I'm no aspect of human faith
I'm a shadow, broken inside and sadly scathed
I exist in mere dreams, outcasted by great demand
I stay unseen, a reflection yet to be scanned
Well I'll take what's left of my dignity and please
Stay out of my dreams, the fee is not free you see


I finish my sonnet and decide what the title of it shall be. Whilst in my perplexed state, I feel a presence sit too close to me. I look up to see rather large brown orbs staring into my own sunlight ones. I clear my throat.
“Can I help you?” I ask rather politely, slightly creeped out by this young man.
“You must be new to Colorado. I've never seen you around.” The masculine voice stated, sounding more musical than human.
“Well, I'm not really sure that's your business.” I snap, slightly annoyed. Apparently my sudden attitude didn't bother this infuriating man at all.
“I'm Nicholas, Nick for short.” He stated, a smirk playing on his freckled face.
“Hi.” I stated plainly.
“Do you not have a name?” Nick asked, curiosity flowing through his face.
“Don't worry about it,” I sighed looking down at my paper again, noticing Nick's eyes following my actions. I smashed my journal shut, irritated that he had even though about reading it.
“You write sonnets? I've never met someone who writes them, I write lyrics.” He told me.
“I'd appreciate it if you didn't read my personal things. I've always written sonnets and lyrics now if you'd excuse me I need to continue my hike.” I stated exasperated.
“Will I see you around?” Nick asked me, a hopeful tone feeding me.
“We'll see.” I smirked, flipping my long blonde hair behind my shoulder and walking away.

I continued to take pictures on my hike, constantly thinking back to the extremely handsome Nick. My mind hoped I'd never see him again but, I knew my heart felt otherwise. When I reached the top I had to hold in a gasp, it was beautiful. This mountain overlooked all of the others, towering over them. I snapped multiple pictures before I heard it. The thunder. It sounded like a gunshot, ringing high through the mountains, echoed and killer. My ears rang and stung, the noise was deadly. I suddenly became very worried, seeing the lightening hit the ground about 2 miles away. This storm would approach fast. I started to run down the hill, completely frazzled. The path's had zigzagged up so I being a 'rebel,' I slid down the mountain stopping at a few of the paths and running down the. The thunder continued to burst through my cloud of fear and scare me slightly more. I sighed of relief when I reached the place I had met Nick. He still sat there, slumped over and writing furiously. Deciding that if he wanted to get killed, mote it be, I walked silently away from him, feeling his eyes burn into the back of my voluminous head.

The ran came down hard when I got to the stairs. In fear for my camera, I tossed it into my bag, and carefully walked down the stairs. That took a whole 5 minutes, at least. I then walked back to my car, feeling safe already. My car was damp when I reached it. I dug around for my keys, finding them instantly. Then, I turned my key into the ignition and powered my baby to life.

Image


When I arrived home the rain was still coming down, not nearly as ferocious as it was on top the Rockies though, of course. I dropped my bag carefully on the floor and ran up the stairs, ready for a nice, warm shower. The door to my bedroom closed behind me and I stripped to my bra and underwear. I grabbed my rope from my closet and hoisted it over my forearm. The shower was steaming hot when I stepped into it. I stood under the water for awhile before beginning my wash. My hair I scrubbed down until it was flooded with bubbles. I exfoliated, washed my hair out and then turned off the scolding hot water. I threw my hair into a towel and dried off, putting on lotion after. My fingers rubbed Moroccan Oil's Light into my hair and then I combed it in place, deciding against drying it.

I skipped down the stairs and found Gardenia in the kitchen.
“Oh hey honey! Listen, I know you were going to make special things for dinner tonight but... Could we reschedule for tomorrow? Some friends are coming over for dinner. Plus, the all the boys besides Lucas will be gone tomorrow night so, it would be a lot easier on you then.” Gardenia explained, a sorry look placed upon her tanned face.
“Oh, that's really no big deal! What time will they be here?” I asked.
“About an hour, go get ready! Their boys are really cute!” She gushed, ushering me upstairs

I cleaned up the bathroom, and rummaged through my closet for an outfit. Deciding in the end a lose white tank top with a light blue cardigan over it, and grey leggings. My hair was almost dry by this time so I pulled it into a high, messy pony tail, my blonde hair hanging just below my shoulder blades.

The doorbell was heard in the distance, I saw this as my cue to descent down the stairs. When I reached the bottom I couldn't help but gap, my eyes popping out of my head. The reaction from him was the same. I narrowed my eyes and walked over to greet them, Gardenia introducing me to what seemed like her best friend, Denise.
“This is Wynne,” she announced, smiling proudly.
“Hello Wynne, I'm Nicholas.” He smirked, grasping my hand a little too tightly.

'Stupid coincidence and Nicholas' I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter two!
I love this story a lot, and I have big plans for it! If you hadn't noticed, my chapters are a lot more lengthy and such. This could be a story I'd make into a book, literally.

And yes, I know I didn't follow any kind of sonnet form but, why not start my own? It is indeed still as sonnet whether it followed the English or Italian form.
Well, enjoy your night! I'll try to get better soon aha!

Xoxo,
Meggan