Status: Oneshot. Comments welcome.

Take Me Back to Summer

Take me Back to Summer

Take me back to summer.

Take me back to the way things used to be, to the way we used to do so much together, to the times when we thought we might die if we weren't together.

I want to take us back to the times I can recall so clearly, as though they happened minutes ago, not months. Do you remember everything we did? Do you remember the fun we had, how much we laughed? Or do I need to bring it back to your memory?

Long walks to the park, just lying on the merry go round together, hands, intertwined, staring up at the blue, blue sky, the sun in our face, just letting the world pass by. Getting candy and sodas from the drug store. Sitting in your air conditioned house and just writing and talking, being best friends like best friends do. Going bowling, making fun of each other's gutterballs. Sleepovers and stargazing on the porch, letting the stars stretch above us in all directions.

We laid out our futures there, in the dark, in the night breeze. We listened to the whispers of the wind and we promised we'd never be without each other. We promised to have each other's backs.

Boys came and went, a summer fling, a long time crush, rejection, someone who meant so much but turned out not to be much at all. And we were there for each other. We loved each other like we had all along, and yet it was totally amazing, indescribable, our love.

I still love you. But you're so far away . . . Those days of summer, frolicking in our bare feet and wasting day after day . . . I wish we had them back, but I know we'd do the exact same things. Now it's cold, too cold to do anything. A new guy, an old crush. Best wishes, empty sentiments.

You're still wish me, I see you every day. I hug you, we talk, we laugh, we share secrets, we confide in each other. Yet it's not the same, it'll never be the same, until we get our freedom back.

So I suppose all we can do is wait, wait and watch, for the last snowflake, the first flower in bloom. The first rays of summer sunshine.

Then we'll know it's time to grab our sunglasses and shorts, slip on our flip flops, and run to each other.

Then we'll do it- everything, every stupid little thing that made us smile or laugh, sigh, and lean against each other for support- all over again.

Together.