Substitute Teacher

I sat patiently at my desk with my fellow peers as I waited for Photography to begin and our teacher, Mrs. Riggs, to enter the class. Instead of the quirky, 5'1", overly excited woman our principle stepped into the classroom. He stood in the front of the class wearing his gray suit and balding head, a smile on his face.

"Hello everyone," he spoke with a strong deep voice. "I know you're all waiting for the new year to begin, but unfortunately Mrs. Riggs will not be attending class for the first semester." A few people cheered while other groaned.

"Is Photography cancelled?" Someone asked, other kids beginning to panic.

"No, no. Class will not be cancelled." He shook his head as he reached into his pocket and retrieved a neatly folded paper, unfolding it and quickly scanning his eyes over it as he spoke. "We found a substitute who has eagerly accepted the position and will gladly fill in for Mrs. Riggs as both the Photography and Music teacher."

I looked back at my friends with a horror stricken expression only to find that they were giving me the same look. We all had Photography and Music with Mrs. Riggs and were used to her ways of teaching, a sub would only ruin everything for us.

Before anyone could protest he walked to the door and opened it. "I'd like you to meet your substitute, Mr. Baker." A man around the age of 28 walked into the room. He wore a white button up shirt, a loose black tie, and faded dark gray jeans. His black hair was slicked back making is green eyes stand out even more and contrast well with his smooth creamy skin and lush pink lips, two markings beneath them indicating he wore piercings.

He walked into the room casually, scanning the faces into the room as he took everyone in. I felt my heart beat faster in my chest as he let a small smile make its way onto his face.

"Hi, I'm Mr. Baker."

School just got a lot more interesting.