Don't Let me Fall

o n e / o n e

A tear fell down my face, as I walked down the aisle. I re-adjusted my long white dress, as I finally made it to the altar, handing off the bouquet of flowers to my bridesmaid.

He- my future husband slowly lifted up my veil revealing my wet face. He wiped off the tears that were flowing ever so slightly, and took both of my hands. He squeezed them, and flashed me his brilliant smile. Today was the best day of my life.

I used to think I would never fall in love, i thought it was only in fairytales; it didn't exist, it was all just a figment of our imaginations.

When you're in 'love' you feel things you don't normally feel, hear things you don't normally hear, and see things you don't normally see. I thought it was all an illusion- until I fell in love myself.

Now, here I was standing at my own wedding, going against all of my beliefs.

It took him 9 months...9 months for him to win me over.

[S e p t e m b e r 09, 2 0 0 8]

I sat outside my small High School, leaning against the wall. I was hunched over my small notebook, my long, brown hair cascading over my face.

It was my Senior year, and everyone was excited because today marked the first day of our last year in high school.

School had just ended for the day, and it was a breezy day. You could hear the sports teams in the background going through with their first practices.

I loved sitting in this spot after school, just taking time to relax. No one was home yet at my house anyway, and I didn't need to worry about a bus since I had a car- although the majority of the time I walked to school.

A car horn went off in the distance, causing me to look up. Someone came running out of the school, quickly turning it off.

I sat there quietly, and looked back down at my notebook, so he wouldn't notice me. It was David Owens- the hottest guy at our school.

"Hey, are you alright?" He asked, startled.

I looked up and nodded towards my notebook, "Yeah, I'm just drawing."

He nodded, and came closer to look at it.

"That's really good." He smiled at me.

I blushed and thanked him. He has a nice smile, I thought to myself, but quickly shook it off. I don't waste my time with boys.

"I just finished up with practice, do you need a ride home?" He asked, nervously.

Why on Earth would he be nervous to talk to me?

"No thanks, my car's right there." I said, pointing, then adding, "Thanks though."

He smiled as his cheeks turned a deep shade of pink. "Right...well...I'll talk to you later."

I waved, as he turned around.

I would not let him get to my head. I would not fall in love again, because true love doesn't exist.

[D e c e m b e r 24, 2 0 0 9]

It was finally snowing for the first time all year. I was so excited.

I ran out the door, not bothering with a coat, and looked up at the sky. It was so pretty when it snowed. The white crystals quickly laid a layer atop of everything, and it was just in time for Christmas.

Two hands wrapped their arms around my waist and lifted me high in the air. They spun me around, and finally set me back down. I laughed, and turned back to the sky.

David was now one of my closest friends. I told myself I wouldnt be anything more, but I couldn't help but have some feelings for him.

"It's so beautiful!" I said, grinning at him.

He plopped down on the ground, attempting to make a snow angel with the small layer of snow. I laughed out loud at his failed attempt, there just wasn't enough snow yet.

He pulled me down with him. "Are you laughing at me? You're going to be sorry!"

He started to tickle me, and I couldn't contain myself from laughing. Then, all of the sudden his lips were on mine. I didn't know what to do. Half of me wanted to kiss him back, but the other half was screaming no.

I went with the half that was screaming no. I quickly pushed him away and ran into my house.

"Ashleigh!" He yelled after me, but I didn't look back.

I closed my bedroom door, and slid to the floor. I didn't believe in love. I didn't want to be one of those heartbroken girls who cries herself to sleep. Love never lasted.

I had a boyfriend a year ago, and he ripped my heart out after I found him cheating on me. It wouldn't happen again. I had a shield over my heart, a shield no one would break through.

[J a n u a r y 14, 2 0 0 9]

I pushed through the halls of my school, making my way to my locker. I almost made it, when a hand tugged me in the opposite way. It was David.

I had been avoiding him ever since the incident. I didn't want to face him, because I'd only feel bad.

"I'm sorry for trying to kiss you, I won't do it again. I just really like you and I don't want to lose you, and it's killing me that you won't talk to me. Please I'll do anything just talk to me again." He quickly said, running out of breath.

I hugged him, "I'm sorry, I'm just...not one for relationships or love in general."

"It's okay, I'm just glad to have you back." He smiled, though I could see some hurt through his eyes.

If anyone; he would be the one to break me down.

[M a r c h 21, 2 0 0 9]

I was being guided along by David, to God only knows where. He had picked me up at my house, and blindfolded me, telling me it was only him and not to get freaked out.

I trust him, so I just went along with it. He led me in a building, and what I assumed was a hall.

He finally pulled it off, and I was standing in the schools gym. I turned to look at him, when a big "SUPRISE!" exploded from the room.

Music and disco balls turned on, and all of my family and friends stood there in front of me. I looked around in shock, they had done this for me?

"Happy 18th Birthday," David whispered in my ear.

"Thank you so much!" I laughed, throwing my arms around him.

He twirled me around, "May I have this dance?"

I nodded, and put my arms around his neck. He put his hands on my hips, and moved us around slowly.

I laid my head on his chest, and closed my eyes. I realised for the first time, this is where I wanted to be forever.

[M a y 28, 2 0 0 9]

We all through our graduation caps into the air, and grinned with relief. Our high school days were over. I ran into David's arms and hugged him.

"No more high school!" I yelled.

"No more seeing you every day." He pouted.

"Ha, good try. You're not getting rid of me that easily. Did you forget you live right across the street?" I laughed.

"I guess that's true. Dang, I thought I was getting rid of you!" He teased, sticking out his tongue.

"Good try." I stuck out mine back.

He grabbed my hand, and we walked away from the crowd. "I'm just worried, we are going to seperate colleges, seperate cities, I don't want to lose you."

"You're not going to lose me, I promise." I said, looking into his eyes.

"How do I know that?" He asked, a tear sliding down his cheek.

He was crying...because he was afraid of losing me. He actually cared.

"David, I got into Harvard! We are going to the same school!" I cried.

"What?" He asked, shocked.

"I was waiting to suprise you, silly." I grinned, and I finally did what I was waiting months to do.

I leaned in, and touched my lips to his. He acted shocked at first, but kissed back.

He had finally won me over.

[S e p t e m b e r 09, 2 0 1 0]

"David Owens, you may kiss the bride."

He leaned down and kissed me and I finally knew, true love does exist.

Love is the path to the heart that knows its own way.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3