Status: Active!

A Different Side of Me

Part 5

“So, uh, how is Emily?” I asked nervously. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to know the answer, but I felt like I had to ask. I could hear Natalie take a deep breath before she started talking again.

“She’s doing better.” She said slowly. “She will never be the same though. The doctor’s have decided that she had major brain damage, and that she will be stuck in a nine year old state of mind for the rest of her life.” My chest tightened, and my heart stopped.

‘Shit,’ I thought to myself. I knew that I had altered her life. I knew that I had messed up. But I didn’t realize that I could do that much damage.

“I’m so, so, so, sorry.” I told Natalie. “If I could go back in time, I would. I wish I had been more careful.” My eyes started to water, and a single tear slid down my cheek.

This had been the first time I had cried in years. I hated knowing what I had done to Emily.

“Yeah, yeah. I know.” Natalie replied warily to me. “I better get going. I have to go give Emily medicine.” She hung up, and I sat in silence. I flopped down on my bed, and stayed there for hours. I had nothing better to do.

I heard someone knock on my door.

“Ughaswlkd,” I groaned. Vic opened the door, and walked in. He stopped suddenly, and started at me.

“Get up, you’ve been here for five hours.” He told me. He walked through my room, and walked over to my bed. He sat down on the edge. “Hey, look. I know you’re upset about the whole accident thing. I understand that. But moping around and wallowing in your self pity isn’t going to help. You got to get up, and get a move on with your life. Write songs, go surfing, go on a date. Anything! And while you’re at it, take a shower.”

I sat up, and looked at my brother. “Thanks,” I told him. Who knew Vic could actually say something inspirational. Vic patted my leg, and got up.

“You’re welcome. And dinner is in an hour.” He told me before walking out of my room.

Vic was right. There was no way I could move on without literally moving on. I got up, and went to the bathroom. I took a shower, and shaved. I had a freaking beard. I guess that’s what I get for not shaving for weeks.

“ZACH! DINNER IS READY!” my mom called up the stairs. I pulled on some pants, and a shirt, and walked downstairs.

I ate dinner with my family. I didn’t participate in the discussions unless I was directly asked a question. After I finished, I walked back up to my room to get my phone so I could call Cameron to go do something. I grabbed my phone off my bed, and flipped it open.

“1 MISSED CALL!” it said on the home screen. I clicked on it to see who it was from. It was from Natalie.

She never called me. If she called me, it means that something bad has happened. My mind started racing with all of the possibilities what could have happened. I hoped to God that nothing else happened to Emily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and subscribe! I really appreciate it!

Check out my other stories!

Follow me on twitter! @Sarahishere13