Status: Active, but might be slow.

Change My Life

01

"So, what do you think?" I asked my little sister, Aelyn.
"It's great, Aer." She smiled, walking through the front door of our new house. I bit my lip and stayed outside for a minute longer. I had only been to the house a few times before we moved in. It was a nice, simple house. There was nothing extravagant about it, except for the fact that the beach is a block away. I walked inside and closed the front door behind me. "When do I start school?" Aelyn asked, turning to me once she got to the kitchen.
"In two days." I told her.
"And when do you start school and work?" she asked.
"Today. Um, what am I doing with you?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.
"What do you mean?" she asked.
"Well, I'm not leaving you here alone." I said.
"I'm 13, I've been staying home alone since I was 10." She said.
"I know…but that was home. We're in a new town, and a new house." I chewed my bottom lip unsurely.
"Aer, I'll be fine. And if anything happens, I'll call you." She smiled reassuringly.
"Okay. But you better keep every door and window locked down until I get home." I started towards my room. I had come a few days before with the movers to set up the house. It looked alright, but it needed something more. I just wasn't sure what that was yet. I changed into an outfit for school, grabbed a sweater and my purse and went back to the living room. "Did you look at your room yet?" I asked.
"no, should I look before you leave?" she grinned. I nodded and followed her to her room which was across the hall from mine. "Aer! I love it!" she squealed. I laughed and looked over it myself. The walls were teal blue, except for one that had teal, pink, and white stripes. Her bed, dresser, and other things were in there. She had a big window that faced the road. I had hung up pink curtains and some blinds.
"Well, be safe. I'll be home around 6 or 7. Love you." I said. She ran to me and hugged me tightly. I hugged back just as hard.
"Love you too." She said.
"Oh, we have cable, so you can watch that. Or get on the laptop." I said, walking towards the front door.
"I'm taking a nap. It's 7 am." She grumbled. I laughed.
"Alright, bye!" I walked out, locked the door, then headed for the car. It was chilly outside now that it was late November, so I put on my sweater. As I pulled out of my driveway I saw an attractive guy leaving the nice house across the street. He looked like he was going for a jog. I smiled and started driving. I got to Daytona State College, where I'm currently enrolled in part time classes, at 7:30. My classes didn't start until 8, so I went to the cafeteria. I read until ten till, then I went to class. I got out of school by 12 that day. I changed into a pencil skirt, a blouse, and pumps in the bathroom then went to my car. I made my way to my new job as a secretary. When I got to the law firm I parked and went inside. I found a front desk that had a woman, and man sitting at it.
"Good afternoon, how can I help you?" the lady asked.
"Hi, my name is Aeryn Morgan, I'm a new secretary." I said.
"Okay, your going to need to speak to Dalton, he can tell you exactly whose secretary you are. His office is the first one on the left." She smiled.
"Thank you!" I sang. I knocked softly on his door.
"Come in!" he called. I walked in and smiled.
"Hi, Dalton, I'm Aeryn." I said.
"Ah, the new secretary. I remember you from the interview. Your going to be working for Ethan Gray. I warn you though, he's a bit of a hand full." He said with a small chuckle. I smiled.
"Well, thank you so much for this opportunity, I really need this." I said.
"Your very welcome. Make me proud." He winked and looked down at a file on his desk.
"Uhm, sir, where is Ethan's office?" I asked.
"Oh, jeez, sorry. That will be right down the hall on the left, first door on the right." He smiled.
"Thank you." I said, before walking out. I took a deep breath and walked to Ethan's office. I knocked softly on his door.
"Come in!" he said. It felt like déjà vu already. I opened the door and stopped in my tracks. Sitting behind the desk was a handsome man, somewhere in his mid-twenties, with short curly dark brown hair, beautiful bone structure, a little bit of facial hair, and dark brown eyes. He smiled. "Hi," he stood up and walked over to me. He was taller then me.
"Are you Ethan?" I asked.
"That's what my door says." He smirked.
"I'm Aeryn Morgan, your new secretary." I said. He stepped back and looked over me.
"When I heard Aeryn I assumed my secretary would be a guy." He said.
"Well, I am most certainly a girl." I smiled. He nodded.
"It's nice to meet you, Aeryn. Come in." he said, turning back to his desk. I walked in and shut the door behind me. He sat down in his chair and he motioned to the seat across from him. I sat down and crossed my legs. "So, I'm usually pretty busy, which means you will be too. I heard your hours are a bit odd though." He said.
"I'm attending school part time." I told him.
He cocked a brow, "College?" he asked. I nodded. "Good. Have you ever worked as a secretary?" he asked.
"No," I said. He nodded.
"Alright, well you will have the office across from me. Answer my phone calls, take messages, make appointments, organize and file things. And every once in a while I'll need you to come with me on jobs to take notes." He told me, flipping through a file on his desk.
"Okay. Anything else?" I asked.
"Well, if you don't mind, I could use coffee every once and a while." He said. I nodded.
"No problem." I smiled.
"Would you like me to show you to your office?" he asked, getting up.
"Sure." I said, standing up too. He walked over to the door and held it open. I walked into the hallway. We went into the office across from his. There was a desk with a phone, and a computer on it. There was a couple of filing cabinets.
"I don't want to overload you on your first day, so I'll just leave a couple of files." He said. He walked over to his office and came back with a small stack of papers and folders. He put them in a little basket on my desk. "If you need to call me press 3." He said. I nodded. "Alright, well I'll be in my office." He smiled.
"Alright, thank you." I smiled back. He left and I sat down. I looked around. I had never had an office, or a phone to answer. This was my first serious job. And it really was serious, I needed it to take care of my sister. We had received life insurance after our father's death, but we were only using that when we had to. I had used part of it already buying the house, the rest of the money came from selling my father's house. I grabbed a folder and saw the name Aldon, May. I got up and went to the filing cabinet that said A-B. I opened it and filed the folder. I was done with the basket pretty quickly. And then I started getting phone calls. Some of them I patched through to Ethan, some of them I took messages, some of them I made appointments. As the day went on I got busier, and busier. At 6:30 I grabbed my purse and went into Ethan's office. He looked up at me and smiled.
"Your really good, you know that?" he smiled.
"I am?" I asked unsurely.
"Yea, I've never had a secretary accomplish so much in one day." He said. I blushed.
"oh." I said.
"Going home?" he asked.
"Yea, gotta make dinner." I said. He nodded.
"See you tomorrow." He smiled crookedly and my heart stammered.
"Bye," I walked out and ran into someone, knocking my purse and keys out of my hands and a briefcase out of theirs. "I am so sorry." I said, ducking down to grab our things.
"It's alright, it was my fault." It was a guys voice, and I liked it. I looked up into hazel eyes. I moved back to look at him better. He was very handsome, and familiar. He had brown hair, a little bit of facial hair, was wearing a suit, and I could tell he definitely had muscles. "Are you a lawyer here?" he asked, cocking his head to the side.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! I like it already. Sorry for the abrupt cliff hanger, but the chapter was getting WAY too long. Part two will be up soon! Comment && subscribe please!
Much Love,
Hey Miss Lexi <3

Copyright 2010 ; Hey Miss Lexi