Status: Complete

Amazing

thirteen.

Steven and Liz. Liz and Steven.

That's who we were. I knew it wasn't smart to let a guy define me, but honestly, he was a part of me. He was my best friend, the love of my life, he made me better. It sounded cheesy but it was true.

I didn't know what to do. Two days since the pizza incident, six days since we had almost gone too far. I was slowly going insane.

We had been supposed to spend time together while he was back in Tampa. He was going back home for two weeks after this trip, and then we were going to be together again. But now, as I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling after a failed attempt at trying to sleep, I couldn't help but wonder if we would ever be together again.

My heart felt like it was being yanked on. I closed my eyes, rolling over onto my side. I tried to rid Steven from my mind, but all I could see were his crystal clear eyes, his smile.

I couldn't bring myself to think of what I was going to do if we were really over.

I lay in bed for days, telling my parents I was sick, before I finally got up and went about my daily routine. After a week of no calls or texts or contact, I found myself sick to my stomach as the thought dawned on me - Steven and I were done.

I tried to push the date I knew was coming to the back of my mind - the day Steven returned back to Tampa for the season. The thought made me queasy.

Tampa's a big city, I would tell myself. Just 'cause he's home doesn't mean you'll see him.

I was worried. Seeing him would hurt.

Then again, not seeing him would hurt worse.

Either way, I should have known that there was no escaping the inevitable.

***

"And we'd like to thank Mr. Andreychuk, for everything he's done here."

The room roared and I smiled as my dad stepped up onto the podium. He shook Jeff Vinik's hand and I watched as the owner of the Lightning slapped my dad fondly on the back. I felt a surge of pride. My dad stepped up to the mic.

"I won't waste your time," he began. "All I have to say is that you all know that I love being a part of this organization, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon." The crowd cheered, and I glanced over at my mom, who made a face, but I knew she was joking. I giggled and turned back to the stage. "And of course, I wouldn't be anyone without my wife and daughter. So thanks you two, and thank you guys. Have a wonderful rest of the evening."

I clapped along with the rest of the group, turning back to the table. I hadn't seen Steven all evening - probably because I had made an excuse to come late, and just in time for my dad's speech. I had gone straight to our table, and had planned to exit just as quickly. Unfortunately, my parents wouldn't buy the excuse for leaving early... And so I was stuck.

The food was brought out as there was a pause in handing out awards and recognitions. Why the awards banquet was held at the beginning of the year, I didn't know. I played around with my food, holding back a sigh. I heard the microphone turn on, and everyone's eyes flew up to the stage. Mr. Vinik had taken the stage again, and he began announcing the next award.

"This award goes to the player from last season who has most exemplified a positive and hard-working attitude, and has had great results because of it. This year's recipient is Steven Stamkos."

My heart stopped.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from the stage as I saw him walk up the steps. Black suit, white shirt, blue tie. A tie I had helped him pick out.

I felt eyes on me. I knew they belonged to my parents, and I tried to appear calm.

"I'm excited to start another year here," Steven began. His eyes scanned the crowd, and I looked down at my hands. "But..." he paused, and I glanced up at the table. Everyone's eyes were on Steven, and I slowly turned back to the stage as well. "I can't - or at least, I really don't want to -" he cracked a smile, "- do it without Elizabeth Andreychuk by my side." My eyes widened as his words sunk in. It seemed the entire room turned to look at me, and I blushed. Steven's eyes met mine as he concluded, "I love you, Liz. And I'm sorry." He held my gaze for a moment before turning back to the room. "And thank you, everyone. I wouldn't have won this without you."

I swallowed the lump in my throat as the room exploded with noise again. I stared blankly down at my hands, my heart racing.

"Liz?" I looked up at my mom, eyes wide. She leaned over and said quietly, "I think you should go talk to him."

I nodded slowly, taking a deep breath. She gave me a reassuring smile and when I glanced at my dad, he smiled, too. I stood up, my knees shaking, smoothed down my dress, and slowly but surely began to walk. I scanned the room, and my eyes landed on the back of his head. He was standing at the back of the room, getting a drink, I assumed, and I slowly headed in that direction. I was about two thirds of the way there when he turned. His eyes met mine, and for a moment, we stared. I stopped walking, and his eyebrows raised. Then he smiled apologetically, and closed the distance between us.

"Wanna talk out there?" he asked quietly, jutting his thumb towards the lobby. I nodded, and followed him out through the doors. The area was vacant, for which I was grateful. He stopped by the front doors that led outside, and turned back to me, his hands in his pockets.

I was surprised when I spoke first. "I didn't peg you as the type."

Steven smiled again. "I'm not," he admitted. "But, uh, I didn't think you'd want to talk to me and I figured I had to do something big for you to even listen." He shrugged. I was silent, and I could feel Steven looking at me. "Please forgive me," he said quietly.

My lips turned up into a smile. I met his eyes, and we gazed at one another for a moment. I took a tentative step forward before closing the entire distance between us. I wrapped my arms around his neck, nuzzling my face against his shoulder. His arms gripped onto me as tightly as possible, and I closed my eyes. I felt tears begin to well up in my eyes, and tried unsuccessfully to hold back a sniffle. Steven gently pulled me from his chest. He gazed down at me and I let out a small giggle, wiping at my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Hey," Steven said gently, his hand lifting to wipe away a few more tears that had slipped out.

I smiled weakly. "I just... I just really missed you," I said quietly, my voice trembling. Steven pulled me back into his arms and whispered into my hair.

"I missed you too."

It was silent again, and I listened to his heart beating as I calmed myself down. I tore my face away to look up at him again.

"I'm sorry," we said at the same time, and we both laughed quietly. His hand lifted up to brush my hair out of my eyes as he spoke again.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." I shrugged, looking down. His hand fell back to my waist, and he pulled me in a bit closer. He dipped his head to look at me as I played with his tie. "I love you," he said, and my eyes flew up to meet his.

I couldn't help the smile that took over my lips. "I love you too."

Steven grinned. He pulled me against him and our lips met. My hands wrapped around his neck, and I smiled into the kiss. He pulled away, searching my eyes as he promised, "I will never let something like that come between us again."
♠ ♠ ♠
oh my gosh this chapter has been giving me nonsense forever. but this is the last chapter :) thanks to everyone for reading! this was honestly one of my favourite stories to write.

comments?

hope you all are doing well!