Status: active :D

Slip Me That Love Potion, I Dare You, George Arthur Weasley

Defense Against the Dark Owls and Persistent Diseases

During the next few weeks, things seemed to return to…normal. Well, as close to normal as physically possible. The Gryffindors were still ecstatic about our Quidditch victory against Slytherin the previous day, the twins in particular, who’d done a fabulous job as always. George and I had returned to being ourselves around each other for the sake of our friendship. I figured the boy didn’t need to worry about me anymore than he already did, so I tried acting as happy as possible. Part of it wasn’t even acting, honestly. I was getting into the Christmas spirit, and with another Hogsmeade visit on the horizon, no one could control my giddiness. The small little village, no matter how many times I’d been there, always brought a smile to my face. With their little snow-covered roofs, holly-decorated windows and frosted lampposts, I wanted to live in Hogsmeade until the sun died out.
A big part of my happiness, though, didn’t just come from a snowy village or seeing George’s smiling face every day. It came from an unlikely source, one that most people looked down on as if he were dirt on the bottom of their shoe.
A source that was greatly misunderstood, someone who had been unfairly judged for embracing who they really were.
‘’I’m gay.’’ He’d told me this about a week ago during one of our late night talks near the Black Lake. Both of us sat on a large rock, ignoring the bitter cold and just enjoying each other’s company.
‘’I know,’’ I replied with a smile. I’d known since the day I inflated Gregory Goyle's head, overhearing a conversation while I was in the girl’s bathroom about his sexuality. I didn’t want to ask Draco, in case it wasn’t true, so I waited for him to come to me. When he finally did, the relief clearly showed on his face.
‘’I didn’t know how you’d react,’’ he said quietly, his white-blonde hair hanging down in his eyes as he stared off into the distance. ‘’Apparently, the majority of this school isn’t very accepting about things like that.’’ His sad, grey blue eyes met mine. ‘’You’re one of the few people I’ve met who hasn’t deemed me, as they so lovingly put it, ‘diseased’.’’
I shook my head, playing with the ends of my scarf. ‘’I don’t judge, Draco, you know that.’’
He nodded his head slowly, the sliver of visible moon appearing in his eyes. ‘’You’ll keep it a secret, though? Not everyone knows, but enough people do already. It just makes things harder for me.’’
‘’Of course,’’ I nodded, knowing I’d be keeping that promise. We were both quiet for a minute or two, the sounds of owls conversing back and forth keeping us company.
‘’Draco?’’ I asked, breaking the silence.
He turned his head to look at me. ‘’Hm?’’
‘’How does it feel,’’ I began, my voice coming out softly, ‘’to come out with something you’ve kept a secret for so long?’’

It was the morning of December third. The morning post arrived, and a drove of owls carrying letters or packages flew through the windows, searching for the people they had mail for. Swooping down onto my shoulder came Bandit, my brown and white Short-Eared Owl, an envelope tied to her left leg. Her talons digging into my shoulder, I took the letter off quickly, letting her eat some of my eggs as a reward. Her feathers ruffled a little bit, but she ate happily.
I was about to open the letter, the front telling me it was from Mum, when Farrah’s Great Horned Owl, Oliver, swooped down and crashed onto the table in front of her. The letter dropped off his leg, and while the twins, Farrah and I stared in shock, he hopped back up, his ‘’ears’’ going back and squawking loudly.
I was nearly pissing myself with laughter when the owl started flapping its wings in Fred’s face and pulling at his hair. I didn’t know if it was out of anger or affection, but the sight of Fred trying to shoo the owl off while the bird was firmly attached to his cranium was truly hilarious.
‘’What the-OW! GETITOFFME!’’ He yelled, catching the attention of quite a few people. Farrah tried calming Oliver down with some owl nuts from her bag, but he wasn’t having any of it. He only squawked louder, flapping his wings harder, as if he were trying to lift Fred out of his seat and fly away with him. George and I couldn’t stop laughing, and by that time, most of the Great Hall caught sight of Fred and Oliver. Everyone was roaring with laughter, even a few of the teachers started chuckling from their table.
I don’t know what spell Farrah used, but she somehow got Oliver out of Fred’s hair, the horned bird glaring at a shaken up Fred before taking off, Bandit in tow.
‘’So…much…flapping,’’ Fred said quietly, shaking a bit as his eye twitched. George cleared his throat, patting his twin on the shoulder. Farrah wrapped her arms around Fred, rubbing his back soothingly.
‘’I’m so sorry, Fred, I don’t know why Oliver did that,’’ she said sincerely, resting her head on his shoulder. ‘’I think he was jealous.’’
‘’Jealous? Of what? He’s an owl!’’ Fred exclaimed, coming out of his daze and frowning down at his plate. Oliver had made a mess.
‘’Yeah, but he’s always gotten jealous pretty easily,’’ she shrugged, her face suddenly turning thoughtful. ‘’Although, I don’t think he’s ever attacked anyone before.’’
‘’Well, aren’t I a lucky bloke,’’ he said, rolling his eyes.
Ignoring their banter and the fact that George’s leg was leaning against mine, I opened the letter Bandit had brought from my mum.

Dear Naomi,

Your dad and I have missed you so much! We’re sorry this didn’t come sooner. Between the Ministry working me half to death and your father being, well, your father, things have been quite hectic over here. We can’t wait to see you in a few weeks! Molly invited us to have dinner with everyone on New Year’s Eve, if that’s alright. So how’s school been going? Not getting into any trouble, I hope. Although, I can’t say the same about Fred and George. Molly told me all about how they blew up the toilets in one of the school bathrooms a few months ago. I can guarantee they’ll be hearing an earful from her, so tell them to steer clear. You know I’ve always liked those two, no matter how much mischief they get themselves in. Especially George. I think he fancies you, you know. Don’t tell your father I said that; he’d end up on the first train there (even though that’s technically physically impossible, I’m pretty sure he’d find a way). We send you our love and hope everything’s going alright for you. Give everyone our best! Take care, sweetie, and just hang in there, okay? We love you with everything we have.

Love Always,
Mum


‘’Tell Helena I said thanks for the heads up. I’ll be keeping as far away from Mum as possible,’’ George said quietly, giving me a quick wink before going back to spreading jelly on his toast. I felt my face turn beat red and I stuffed the letter away, telling myself I’d write back later that evening when he wasn’t around.
How much else had he read?
You know I’ve always liked those two, no matter how much mischief they get themselves in. Especially George. I think he fancies you, you know.
First Farrah, now my own mother. It was getting rather bothersome, really. I mean, if he really did like me, I would notice…right?
Shaking my head, I decided I would deal with it later.
‘’Fred? You have a feather in your hair,’’ I said, pointing to the location of it.
‘’Huh?’’
The distinct clinking of a glass could be heard over the chatter of the Great Hall. Professor Dumbledore’s presence at the podium caused all talking to cease at once, everyone’s attention focused on the aged headmaster.
‘’Good morning, everyone,’’ he began brightly, looking around at the pupils seated in front of him through his half-moon spectacles, ‘’I shall let you go back to your breakfast in a moment, but first, I have a quick announcement to make. Due to upcoming events, all morning classes for today have been postponed. Instead, you will go with the heads of your houses for a special lesson.’’ He went back to his seat in the headmaster’s chair, and a murmur broke out across the crowded room, everyone most likely wondering this was about.
‘’What do you think it’s for?’’ George asked, his eyes wandering to the other end of our table.
I just shrugged. ‘’Search me. Maybe it’s something along the lines of Defense Against the Dark Owls.’’
Fred shot me a glare that clearly said I wasn’t being humorous in the least. He still had the feather stuck in his hair.

It turned out the ‘’special lesson’’ was on how to ballroom dance for the Yule Ball. Professor McGonagall made it very clear that she wanted us on our best behavior, partly because the Minister of Magic and a few other Ministry officials were attending as special guests. Anyone Fourth Year and above was permitted to go, but anyone Third Year and below had to get an older student to invite them. Splitting the Gryffindors according to gender in an empty classroom, McGonagall talked about the ball. At that point, I’d zoned out. Farrah and I sat across from the boys, trying to keep straight faces as the twins attempted to make us laugh and get scolded. Fortunately, we were stronger than that.
All I’d caught out of my Transfiguration teacher’s speech was something about swans and lions, while behind her, Filch was adjusting a giant record player. Fred and George stopped making faces at us once she’d turned to the boys’ side of the room.
‘’Mr. Weasley,’’ she said, putting out a hand and walking towards Ron, who looked a bit petrified, ‘’would you join me please?’’
With a sour face, he got up, walking to the middle of the room with McGonagall. A few of the boys started laughing and making noises.
‘’Now, place your right hand on my waist.’’
Ron looked even more panicked at this. ‘’Where?’’
‘’My waist,’’ she instructed. Reluctantly, he did as she said. Someone wolf-whistled, and as Ron was about to make a rude hand gesture back, the teacher grabbed his hand and put it where it belonged.
‘’Bend your arm.’’ She had one hand on his shoulder, the other one out and holding on to his left hand. ‘’Mr. Filch, if you please.’’
Farrah and I looked at each other, still trying to contain our laughter. From what we could see of the twin’s faces, we knew they would never let their younger brother forget this.
The music was turned on, and this soft melody that was made for ballroom dancing played throughout the room. Professor McGonagall and Ron began dancing.
‘’One, two, three, one, two, three, one, two, three,’’ she directed. Ron glanced around constantly, obviously wanting nothing more than to hide in a hole forever. Fred and George were humming mockingly along with the music, smiling and swaying to their own little tune.
We all had to pair up, everyone standing around awkwardly, waiting for someone to ask them dance instead of doing it themselves. Fred and Farrah eventually attempted to ballroom dance, and I use the word ‘attempted’ very lightly. They kept tripping over each other’s feet, mainly Fred, knocking into other couples and trying to keep straight faces all the while. I kind of got lost in the sight of everyone twirling around (semi) gracefully. I knew I was an alright dancer, nothing to brag about.
‘’Would you do me the honor of dancing with me, Madam?’’ George asked, doing this funny little bow before looking at me with puppy dog eyes. My face flushed, silently noting that he was a goofball, but I nodded, taking his hand as he pulled me into the crowd of people. George squeezed my hand lightly, holding it like Ron and Minerva had done and placing his other hand on my waist. It was like an eruption of firecrackers went off in my gut, my attention fully aware of where his skin touched mine as I put a slightly shaky hand on his shoulder.
Trying to keep up with the tempo, we moved in unison, our feet becoming jumbled only once the entire time. Even at the parts where you had to lift and twirl your partner, George did better than I’d expected. Much better than Fred, anyway, who, quite frankly, had nearly killed Farrah more than a few times from what I’d seen in the past thirty minutes alone. I glanced over at them, laughing a little bit when I saw Professor McGonagall trying to show Fred the correct posture.
‘’Farrah’s going to leave the ball in a full body cast,’’ George chuckled, watching them as we slowed down to a sway. You know, that thing where you just kind of shift your feet around to make it look like you’re really dancing.
‘’You know, you’re really not that bad of a dancer,’’ I said, my voice going a little higher as he suddenly dipped me.
Straightening back up, I saw his face was one big smirk of pride. ‘’Why, thank you. I must say, you’re not too shabby yourself. Better get a date who can keep up with you.’’
I nodded, looking down for a second. You, you mischievous, overly tall, brilliant, handsome idiot! Do I need to scream it for the entire world to hear?!
Without warning, I felt him kiss the top of my head. That caught my attention immediately. I looked up at him, trying not to reveal the fact that my insides felt like they’d been set ablaze.
‘’Cheer up, mate,’’ he smiled, tucking a strand of dark red hair behind my ear, ‘’I bet someone will ask you. They’d be a fool not to.’’
Much too soon for my liking, it was over. George and I didn’t even realize people were leaving until McGonagall informed us. I had a break that period, so I decided I would just go back to the common room until I had to go to Charms. I asked George what he planned to do, but he told me had something he needed to take care of, descending the staircase in front of the Gryffindor common room in a hurry. Shrugging, I gave the Fat Lady the password, stepping into the room that, surprisingly, wasn’t overly filled with people. I wondered silently to myself where Fred and Farrah had wandered off to, concluding that they probably wanted a bit of time to themselves to do…couple things. Whatever that meant, I didn’t really know, figuring it was best not to dwell on it.
I entered the girl’s dormitory to find it empty once again. The room was scattered with abandoned clothing, textbooks, even the occasional dinner roll. It was like living in a garbage dump. Scrunching up my nose in disgust, I stepped over the litter to my bed, pulling my trunk out from underneath to find my Charms textbook. Oddly enough, it wasn’t there. I figured it was somewhere amidst the piles of who-knows-what, so I stuck my hand in the pocket of my robes for my wand.
Then I began to panic, because my wand wasn’t in there.
I searched every pocket I had on me, under my bed, my covers and my trunk. It wasn’t in any of those places either.
Taking a few deep breaths, I tried to stay calm, retracing my steps to the best of my ability.
I came to the suspicion that it might’ve ended up in the boys’ room, considering I’d slept there again the previous night and the wretched thing came with me nearly everywhere I went. Walking into their dormitory, which was shockingly cleaner than ours, I’d found something, but it wasn’t my wand.
Lips attached, Farrah’s back pressed against the wall and Fred’s hand tangled in her long, blonde hair, the happy couple had found a moment of solitude to get...that out of their systems. Stepping around them to George’s bed, I found my wand among the strewn-about covers, snatching it up quickly and trying to escape as soon as possible. In those few seconds I’d had my back turned, Fred’s robes and shirt was already off, and I think they were in the process of getting Farrah’s belt undone. I had seen more than enough already, so I side-stepped quickly out of the room, trying to shield my virgin eyes.
Cleaning up the mess that I hadn’t even made, I found my Charms textbook, stuffing it in my rucksack and collapsing on my bed, not even bothering to close the curtains around it. The Yule Ball was only in a few weeks, and the fear of going by myself kept popping into my head like some persistent disease. I needed to push it out, to start thinking about something else, before I willingly gave myself as a snack to a hungry giant spider. The option looked more and more tempting by the minute.
I thought about Draco and how I’d found a friend in him, and he in I, at a time where we both needed someone to vent to most. I hadn’t seen him that day, though, a day where I was feeling particularly lonely. Loneliness was something that, at the time, I didn’t even know I feared. Not so much that as the fact that I denied it. I thought it’d make me look weak, to fear something as silly as loneliness. I was stronger than that. I’d survived that long, hadn’t I? Damnit, the disease popped up again.
But still, I couldn’t help but feel its bitter sting. I wanted my best friend, the one person I knew I couldn’t have.

‘’How does it feel?’’ Draco pondered, his face becoming thoughtful. ‘’It usually feels good to let something that’s been bottled up out. Part of it has to do with their reaction, though.’’
‘’I wouldn’t know,’’ I mumbled, pulling my cloak tighter for warmth as a cold wind kicked up. I saw Draco do the same.
‘’You can practice on me, then,’’ he smiled, patting my left knee encouragingly. I sighed, giving him a weak smile back.
‘’For the past few months, I’ve secretly had feelings for one of my best friends.’’ Draco’s face turned to one of confusion. ‘’George Weasley.’’ He looked relieved.
‘’And he doesn’t know?’’ I shook my head. ‘’Why haven’t you told him?’’
‘’Draco, I’ve been close with him and his brother for over six years. I can’t just go randomly blurting out one day that I fancy him. He’d go running the other way.’’
‘’But do you know this for sure?’’
Biting my bottom lip, I responded with a quiet ‘no’.
‘’Then at least give it a go. When you’re ready to, of course. Or when the moment feels right.’’
And to think I used to believe he was a right foul prat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone :D Hope you enjoyed the newest chapter. Not much to say over here, actually. Comments? :D Updating soon hopefully.
xo Lexi (>o.o)>
~(OoO)~