Status: Complete

I Just Wanted An Escape From The Town That Was So Mean To Me

2/2

“You go on in ten,” Nick said, appearing from behind the corner of the wall.

“Alright. Thanks, Man,” I replied, putting my guitar over my head. After a few more seconds, I heard the name 'Never Shout Never' being introduced. I'd heard that multiple times, but every time, it would make me smile. I walked out on stage, and waved at the crowd.

“I can't believe all you guys came just to see a little, Joplin boy, like me,” I said, smiling, and tuning up my guitar. I looked out in the crowd, and someone was trying to take my picture. I looked at her, and gave her a thumbs up, so she could take it. She started jumping up and down, screaming, then she took my picture. I laughed, and got a sip of my water. “So, what do you guys want to hear tonight?” I asked. I heard mixed answers, but the main one was Big City Dreams. “Big City Dreams, it is!”

You say we're both little people, and you like it that way. But, in time I'm gonna put this body time shame, and grow old. Wear a suit like my old man, pack up all my things, and get my butt out of town.

We got it good, whether you like this town or not. I know it's small, but with a big head it's bound to get hot, in the Summer, but the Summer is a bummer if you can't leave this pathetic excuse for a town. That holds all your memories, a life time of crushes, and your broken dreams.

To be anywhere but here, but, baby, anywhere is away from me,
” I loved it when I could look out into the audience and everyone would sing along. Everyone was clapping in sync, by the time we got to the end.

If you got it all figured out, then what is there to shout about? This Midwest town is gonna miss...you,” I pointed at a girl in the audience, and she started freaking out. I scanned the crowd, smiling, then stopped at two familiar faces. I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes. I didn't look at those two people through the rest of the concert.

~

“Hey, I'm gonna go meet some people outside,” I said, sitting down my guitar, and opening the backstage door. I walked outside, and zipped up the jacket Nick had bought me for my seventeenth birthday. About 10 people were standing outside, sitting on the ground. When they saw me, they all jumped up. “Hi, guys,” I said, smiling. A line of people formed, and each person got a picture, autograph, and hug. But, one girl...one girl made me stop and stare. As soon as I looked into her eyes, I felt like I could melt in her hands. She's one of those girls that make you stop and think, why do we have wars? Why can't we all live in peace?

“Hi,” She said softly. “I-I'm Amber, and you're my inspiration.” She blushed, and I smiled bigger than I think I ever have before.

“Hello, Amber,” I sang happily. She smiled, and bit her lip.

“Oh, um, can you sign this?” She asked, handing me a poster. Her hand was shaking as she handed it to me.

“I'd be more than happy to.” I took her poster, which was a picture of me, and signed it. “Do you have a camera?” She nodded. “Let's take a picture!” One of the people she was with walked over, and turned on the camera. I put my arm around her, and kissed her cheek, when the camera flashed.

“Thank you so much,” She said, looking as if she was about to cry. I noticed she was the last person that was back here, so sat on the ground, and patted the part beside me. She sat down.

“So, Amber, how are you on this fine evening?” I asked.

“Amazing! You're concert was just...It just left me speechless,” She said, shaking her head in awe.

“Really? So...you're a fan?”

She looked at me like I was crazy. “Of course, I am. I know every single one of your songs.”

Really? I'm flattered that such a pretty girl would feel that way...about me,” I said, smiling.

She blushed furiously, when I said 'pretty girl.' I heard two pairs of footsteps getting closer to us. I stood up, and looked around. Then, I saw the two people I was trying to avoid.

“Oh, Chris!” My mom yelled, running towards me, and hugging me.

“Hey, Mom,” I said unenthusiastically. She let go of me, and I got full-view on my dad. It was silent for about three minutes, until he broke it.

“Hello...Chris,” He said, looking away.

“Hey,” I replied harshly.

“So, looks like you made something of yourself...,” He mumbled.

“Yeah, Dad, I did. And, not with your or mom's help,” I replied, glaring at him.

“There's no need to be mad at me. I just did what was best for you. It was your decision to leave.”

“How can you even say that?” I asked through clenched teeth. “You kicked me out of the house. And, you told me to never come back.”

“Now, Son, that's not all of what happened. You were to blame, too.”

“How was I to blame? Because, I said I wanted to be a musician?”

He didn't say anything else.

“Now, if you'll excuse me,” I said, looking from my mother to my father. I walked back over to Amber, and apologized.

“No problem,” She said, smiling reassuringly.

“Amber! We've got to go!” I heard someone yell.

“Sorry, that's my mom. I've got to go, but it was amazing talking to you. Like, I'm serious. You pretty much made my life,” She said, standing up.

“Hey, wait. Um, here's my number,” I said, writing my phone number down. “Call me sometime. Just do me a favor, and don't give it out?”

“I swear,” She said, smiling. She bit her lip, and hesitated a few seconds, before hugging me tightly. “Bye, Chris!” She yelled, as she was walking away.

“Bye, Amber,” I called back, smiling.

~

“Chris!” I heard Amber yell.

I quickly turned around. “Amber!” I yelled back, running towards her. I picked her up, and spun her around. Then, I sat her down and kissed her. “I missed you so much,” I murmured against her lips.

“I missed you even more,” She said, standing up on her tip-toes, and kissing my nose. I smiled.

I hadn't seen Amber for a month and a half, since I'd been on tour. But, she's all I've thought about.

My mom and dad walked up behind me, and smiled.

I started letting them back in my life; that doesn't mean I forgave them. I never fully have. But, they're my parents, and I love them.

“I love you guys,” I said, smiling.

“And, you know we all love you too,” My mom replied looking at Amber. My father nodded, and smiled.

Amber bit her lip, but, after a few seconds, relaxed, and smiled. “Yeah, we all do love you.”

I finally belonged somewhere.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I hope you liked it :D