Follow Me

Follow Me

Image

1712 Scottish Highlands

The castle was small, at least compared to the one’s I’ve seen, as the water gently lapped against its sides.

There were only a few turrets and the only entrance in and out was by a narrow walk way, barely big enough to allow a horse to walk comfortably. The gate was closed, the large iron bars looking ominous and threatening.

I took in the sight from the top of a hill, Kael shifting nervously underneath me.

As a war horse, Kael wasn’t happy unless he was active. I’d spent the last of my money purchasing him, but I needed a horse who could handle the Highlands of Scotland.

I needed a horse that had the endurance to keep moving day and night without stopping for more than the occasional drink.

Sighing, I press my knees against Kael’s black sides, tightening my hold on his wavy mane.

I’d been forced to sell my saddle and bridle two weeks ago so that I could by some bread and cheese.

It was dangerous to do, me being a woman alone, but I had acquired a set of boy’s clothing and had twisted my long brown hair under a cap.

The real challenge was disguising my voice. I’ve never been very good at deepening it or changing my accent, so instead I just pointed to what I needed and allowed the salesman to think I was mute.

That was over five days ago and I haven’t seen another person since.

As Kael approached the castle I felt my anxiety grow.

Will he remember me?

”You’re leaving?”

I watched the light in his beautiful green eyes fade, “Yes, your King is sending me back to my home land.”

My hand tightened on his arm, the rough fabric of his coat scratching my palm, “Will I ever see you again?”

His sad eyes gave me the answer before he even opened his mouth.


I gently guided Kael across the narrow walk way, the end of my journey now just a few yards away.

I felt a bead of sweat roll down my back.

God, it’s been over a year, he’ll never remember me.

I watched as the man I loved swung into the saddle, his horse waiting patiently.

He didn’t look at me, didn’t even acknowledge I was there.

I understood why he wouldn’t see me.

Actually, more like he couldn’t see me.


When we reached the gate I slid from Kael’s broad back.

I searched for a lever or something that I could use to raise the bars, but I couldn’t find anything.

Just the brick that held the castle together.

I felt tears gather in my eyes as I realized I’d travelled all this way for nothing.

Nothing but an old castle surrounded by water.

He’d only been gone a few minutes, fifteen at the most, but I couldn’t stand to let him leave without saying goodbye.

I pushed my pretty little mare faster, my dress skirts billowing at my side.

And when I saw his silhouette at the bottom of the hill my heart felt like it was soaring.

“Wait, please!”

He turned at my voice, pulling his stallion to a stop, “Rina?”

I stopped by his side, a sad smile on my face, “I just have to say goodbye.”

“What would you have done if someone followed you?”

I shook my head, “No one did.”

He sighed and then a smile broke his face, “Leave it to you to cause mischief.”

I felt an answering smile stretch across my face, “What else is a proper english lady supposed to do?

His eyebrow rose, “What else, indeed.”

As the silence stretched I knew that this really was the end.

“I’m going to miss you,” I whispered.

He reached out and gently laid his large palm against my cheek, “I shall miss you too.”

A tear leaked from my eye as I launched myself into his arms, “I don’t want you to leave!”

He sighed and held me close, “I must; you know I can’t disobey the King. Even if I were to stay your father will never allow us to be together.”

“This isn’t fair! Why can’t I make my own choices?”

He gently placed me back on my mare, “That’s just not how it’s done, Rina. Neither of us can change that.”

Another tear fell from my eye, “So this is it?”

He nodded, “Yes, it’s time for me to go now.”

Before I could do anything he leaned over and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Sometimes you need to run away to see who will follow you," he whispered against my skin.

Then he straightened and kicked his horse.

I watched him ride away, more tears silently streaming down my face.


I leaned my head against the cold bars of the gate, my hands gripping the iron tightly. My shoulders shook with the sobs I was desperately trying to hold back.

I’m too late. He’s gone.

“Lass? Are you alright?”

I gasped and looked up to see a man staring at me from the other side of the gate.

He was older, old enough to be my grandfather, and his blue eyes were warm.

“What’s the matter, lass?”

I swallowed, “Do you live here?”

The old man looked around him, then smiled, “It would seem I do, since I’m inside the castle, while you’re not.”

I smiled, “Do you know if this is Lord MacDouglas’ castle?”

Please, aftrer all my searching let this one be it.

“It is.”

The air left my lungs in a whoosh and my heart raced, “Can I speak with him? Please?”

The old man scratched his head, “Well, he’s not here actually here.”

My shoulders sank, “Oh, well, thank you for your help.”

I turned to walk back to Kael, but the man called me back.

“Wait, I know where you can find him.”

Ten months.

I’ve had no word or news from or about him in ten months.

All I could think about was his last words to me.

What did he mean by them?

Did he want me to follow him?

Well, whether or not he wants me to follow, I’m going to find him.

Because life without Lord MacDouglas is no life at all.


Kael’s hooves pounded into the ground as I reined him to a stop at the top of a hill.

Below, in the shade of a few trees, reclined Lord Douglas. His back was against a tree, his stallion grazing a few yards away, and I could barely contain my excitement.

Kicking Kael into action I fly down the hill.

I watch the moment Lord MacDouglas realizes he’s not alone. He quickly jumps up, his hand placed on the hilt of his sword before he realized I wasn’t someone out to harm him.

I pulled Kael to a stop just a few feet away from him.

“Rina?”

I smiled; he remembers.

Sliding from Kael I slowly walk toward him, “Shay.”

He frowned, "Did you come all this was alone?

"Yes, I had too."

His eyes grew angry, "Are you insane? Do you know how dangerous that is?"

I stopped walking at his words, "But... you told me to come."

He glared, "Yes, but I didn't think you'd do it alone. My God, it's a three month journey from your home to here."

I felt my hope and joy fade. I had come, but now he was angry, "Shay, please, I'm here and that's all that matters."

He started to pace, "No, you could have been hurt. It would have been my fault if you were hurt because you were travelling for me."

I shook my head, "But I wasn't hurt and I'm here now."

I walked forward and laid my hand against him arm, my free hand going up to caress his cheek, "Please, don't be angry when we're together again after so long."

He looked at me, his eyes slowly growing warm, "You're right, as always, but I won't allow you to do anything foolish like that once more. I won't lose you again."

I smiled as I dived into his arms, crying out in joy as he spun us in circles, "I love you, Lord Shay MacDouglas."

“And I love you, Lady Rina Harrison. We’ve waited so long to be together.”

“There’ll be no more waiting; fore I will follow you anywhere.”