The Mortician's Daughter

The Mortician's Daughter

I OPEN MY LUNGS DEAR

The air pained my chest, as I drew in a deep breath and dried the tears from my cheeks. The soft rumble of the bus did nothing to put me to sleep as it usually did. My eyes watched the scenery go by outside of the small window in my bunk.

I SING THIS SONG AT FUNERALS NO RUSH

He wasn't dead, and I had managed to make it a week without him. Yet, it felt like ages since I'd last kissed his lips, which had dried blood on them. I wanted to be strong, I wanted to be a man, but at last I couldn't bear to be without Ash. I remember those words he's spoken to me not more then an hour ago.

"I love you, and I'll see you soon" his sweet voice said from the speaker of my cell phone.

THESE LYRICS HEARD A THOUSAND TIMES, JUST PLUSH

I couldn't count the number of times those three words left my lips. I must have sounded like a broken record. Yet each time he echoed them to me it felt just like the first time he's said them. I remembered that time and smiled, though tears still damped my cheeks.

A BABY BOY YOU'VE HELD SO TIGHTLY

I miss his strong arms wrapped around my frail chest. The sent of his axe, filling my senses. Reminding me everything would be okay, as long as he was with me.

THIS PAIN IT VISITS ALMOST NIGHTLY

During the day, I could somewhat bear and stitch my heart back together enough to forge a smile. Yet once the sun went down and the coldness of my bunk reminded me that he was miles, states apart from me, the somber feeling returned.

The wheels off the bus ceased to turn as it signaled our arrival at the hotel. And once again I would lay in my king bed alone, without my king. We always had two rooms, Jake, Jinxx and CC in one and Ashley and I in the other. I didn't want them to hear my cries.

The digital clock on the bed side read 1:45. I brought my legs into my chest.

MISSING HOTEL BEDS I FEEL YOUR TOUCH

The scream shaking through my body as I felt my heart shatter. The soft vibration of my phone made me have to once again pull it together. For him. As I pressed talk the sweet voice filled my ringing ears.

"Andy baby"
"A-Ashley" I sobbed, the phone barley in my hand, as I listened to his voice on speaker.

A WILL WAIT DEAR

I really wish I could be stronger.

A PATIENTS OF ETERNITY MY CRUSH

His voice once again filled my head.
"I love you"
"A-Ashley" I couldn't fall asleep without him next to me. The phone was silent and I'd thought the call was lost, until the unmistakable sound of his guitar started and he began to sing our song.

A UNIVERSE SO STILL NO RUST

The world seemed to stay still as he sung the course to me. Something he'd done every night. Some how sensing that I couldn't sleep. Maybe it was for me, or maybe in a way it was for him too. If he could lay in his bed and me in mine, then some how we would be together.

NO DUST WILL EVER GROW ON THE FRAME ONE MILLION YEARS AND I WILL SAY YOUR NAME

To anyone listening, they must have thought it was a scene out of a romance movie. Those words he sung calmed my sobs. As my eyes grew heavy.

I LOVE YOU MORE THEN I COULD EVER SCREAM

"I love you" he said once again. Those words made my heart beat again.

"I'll see you soon" For a moment it felt like just yesterday I stood their watching at the gates of his flight, our hands in each others.

BOOK OUR FLIGHT THOSE YEARS AGO I SAID I LOVED YOU AS I LEFT YOU

"I love you" I had spoken holding back tears.

"I love you too" Our hands broke apart, and I could no longer stay strong as I watched his back retreat threw the gates and board the plan. I don't know how long the guys sat their and watched me, as I looked at the empty run way.

REGRETS STILL HAUNT MY HOLLOW HEAD

I had begged them to let me go with them and pick up the tour in two weeks. Their answer didn't surprise me.

"No, Andy we have to go on for our fans" I wanted to be by his side of that plane. He was the one in pain, yet I cried the tears.

I PROMISED YOU YOU THAT I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN, AGAIN

His words brought me out of my flash back.
"I have to go, but I'll see you soon"

He knew I wasn't strong enough so he hit the end button first and the call disconnected. My phone beeped with the call ended sign on.

This night had replayed some many times. Each time the words we spoke at the end coming more and more true.

"I'll see you soon"

I SIT HERE AND SMILE DEAR

The bus was finally going their. And a smile was tattooed on my lips as I thought of him. My phone read 6:34 Oct. 31st. The date his flight would land.

I SMILE BECAUSE I THINK OF YOU AND I BLUSH

In mere hours this would all be past and we'd be together. The seconds felt like hours and the minutes days. As I laid in my timeless bunk.

THIS BLEEDING HOLLOWS DIALS DOWN THIS FUSS

My heart ached, knowing we were so close.

FUSS IS MADE OF MILES AND TRAVELS WHEN ROAD WAYS ARE BUT STONES AND GRAVELS

I could see the faint outline of the airport in the morning fog, the sun barley showing over the horizon. I had almost made it, two weeks.

A BLEEDING HEART CAN CONQUER EVER CRUTCH

No one could make it better but him. No one could stitch the tears of my heart but him.

BOOKED OUR FLIGHT THOSE YEARS AGO

It was a scene of daja vue as we entered the air ports doors again. This time the picture not sad.

YOU SAID YOU LOVED ME AS YOU LEFT ME

I was shaking from excitement as his plan landed.

REGRETS STILL HAUNT MY YOUR SADDENED HEAD BUT I PROMISE YOU I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN

The plane landed and the passengers departed it. His long black hair being blown back by the wind on the run way. I covered my mouth as I wait for the heavy metal doors to open.

BOOKED OUR FLIGHT THOSE YEARS AGO
I SAID I LOVED YOU AS I LEFT YOU

A woman dressed in a blue flight attendants outfit opened the gates. His face was the first to walk through the threshold. His gentle eyes set on me and smile etched on his face. He dropped his carry on bag and I ran towards him.

REGRETS NO LONGER IN MY HEAD
BUT I PROMISED YOU AND NOW I'm HOME AGAIN

I jumped into his arms as those arms held my sobbing figure.
"I promised you didn't I"
"Never leave me again" I sobbed into his shoulder. He silence me with his lips. The ones in my dreams. I felt safe again, I felt my heart again.

"I love you"
"I love you too" I echoed, this time not separated by a phone and miles.

AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN, I'M HOME AGAIN