Status: Active :)

Pieces

Then I See Your Face

Adrian felt a sting across her cheeks and blinked, her eyes feeling heavy. She tried to sit up and saw that she was lying in a bed and as she looked around, she realized it was Jasper's. She looked down and saw that she was currently wearing red flannel shorts and a black tank top. Her hair was up and all over her head.

Jasper wasn't in the room.

Adrian got up and walked cautiously and quietly from the room, her small, soft feet barely making a sound on the thick carpet. No one was in the kitchen. No one was in the living room. So, where was everyone?

Adrian saw they were all on the patio. She didn't want to interrupt whatever it was they were talking about. She settled into the sofa and pulled a brown throw over her. The TV was still on and so was the XBox. Adrian grabbed the controller tentatively and just when she did, a box came up on the screen.

Message on XBox live it read. Adrian closed her eyes as she pressed Accept. When she opened them, another message was on the screen.

RebeccaJW2k10 2:59 a.m.

A little rude to not reply, don't you think? I've missed you, A. Don't you miss me, too?


With a choked scream, Adrian through the controller at the TV and it flew right through it, making a loud crashing noise and a gaping hole. Horrified, Adrian ran as fast as anyone could run back to Jasper's room. She shut the door and locked it just as Jasper tried to open it.

"Adrian, please open up." Jasper said.

She talked incoherently through loud, heart wrenching sobs. "Go away. You wouldn't understand!"

The doorknob fell from the door and Jasper walked in. Adrian was sitting at the top of the bed, the blankets pulled around her tight, like they were the only things she could hold on to.

"Please, tell me you saw it too. Tell me I'm not crazy, Jasper. You saw it didn't you?" Adrian sobbed.

"Saw what?"

Adrian looked up at Jasper, horrified. The one person she trusted in her life right now didn't even believe her. "You don't believe me! It was there, Jasper, I saw it!"

"What did you see?"

Adrian paused. Maybe Jasper had seen the first message when she fainted, but he had been outside when the new one came up. So, Adrian recounted what she saw and what the message said. "I'm so sorry about the TV. I'll get you guys a new one. I promise."

Jasper laughed. "The TV is replaceable."

"Jasper, I have this...this feeling that...that it really was Rebecca. I don't think she's really dead. What if---"

"Adrian, there's something you should know. When I was reading Rebecca's diary, the last three entries said that she had been being stalked by someone, a man with red eyes and a pale face. A man named Arthur. The very last entry ended rather abruptly, but in short she said that she never told you about this Arthur guy because she didn't want him to hurt you."

"What?" Adrian asked, absolutely shocked. She had the diary with her the whole time but never read it, couldn't bring herself to.

"Adrian, the man she was talking about was a vampire. And I don't think Rebecca really drove herself off a bridge. I believe that the vampire drove the car off himself and imitated her voice on the audio tape (vampires are good at that) to make it look like she killed herself. They never found a body, did they?"

Adrian was silent as she processed it all. The scary part was: it all made perfect sense.

"Do you think we could talk to her? Maybe see if it's really her?" she asked.

Jasper nodded. "We can try."

So, he left the room, came back with the XBox and hooked it up to his TV. Almost immediately, there was another box on the screen saying there was a new message on XBox live. Jasper accepted it and watched as it showed up:

RebeccaJW2k10 3:31 a.m.

Please, A. Don't be so rude. Talk to me.


Adrian took a deep breath before grabbing the keyboard that hooked up with the XBox and typing two words:

AZarko93 3:34 a.m.

Call me.


Adrian wasn't about to put her number there when she couldn't even guarantee it was really Rebecca. Adrian's cell phone number had been the same since 6th grade. It had never changed. If Rebecca really wanted to talk to Adrian, she would still the know the number.

Rebecca never called.