Status: Complete

Boys Of Summer

-42-

MAIN POV

Heading into the last two shows in LA was odd. They were completely different to the rest of the tour; everyone was on edge. There was excitement for some time at home, sadness at having to leave new friends, anticipation for the apparently traditional last show pranks. I chose to focus on the family aspect of the tour for my last sets of photos, because that’s really how it felt once you'd been immersed in the chaos.

Everyone had agreed on a quiet night together after tonight's show, knowing the following night's end of tour bash would be carnage. It would be our last real chance to just hang out together, and I was going to miss it.

My plans for after it was all over were the same as when I arrived in America - wing it. I was heading back to Baltimore to really spend some time with Drea since we hadn't really had much of a chance to get up to the craziness that was inevitable when we got together. Obviously I'd be making an effort to get to Jersey to be with Gee, but as far as anything else went, I was up for whatever until I had to go back home.

x

Hanging back behind the others as we made our way to the busses after the show, Gerard swiftly changed direction and lead me towards an exit, ignoring my hesitation and tugging on his hand.

"Gee?" I questioned, as we turned right once reaching the road. Getting no answer but a soft, secretive smile I tried again. "Geraldo, are we really walking around LA in the middle of the night? If we get killed I'm blaming you."

He finally let out a chuckle, "We'll be there in a minute babe. Trust me, I'm not gunna let anyone hurt you." With that said he pulled me closer and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, succeeding in making me feel a little safer.

True to his word, it was only around a minute later that we entered a small park. He chose a spot on the grass, sitting down and letting me follow suit. Being in the midst of one of the most polluted cities around, in terms air quality and light, I knew it would be impossible to see stars but that didn't stop me from raising my head to the sky anyway.

My vision was brought back to the man beside me as he started to search through the bag he usually kept his sweaty show clothes in. His clothes seemed to be absent this time however, and instead he pulled out what seemed to be a comic book.

"What's this?" Yet another question fell from my lips. I was confused when he sat the booklet on my lap, refusing to meet my eyes. Taking in the cover, there was a white question mark on a black background. There didn't appear to be a title.

"Just a little something I made for you," Gerard spoke shyly, reminding me of the night he asked me to be his girlfriend. "Read it," he urged, turning the first page for me.

The first frame was a concert scene, a blurry sea of faces being looked at from on stage. The second had one clear face towards the front, while the third had that figure turned around, head flying backwards as a fist collided with it.

"This is the first show?" I turned to ask my still quiet boyfriend. All he'd done was watch me take in his work while he rubbed small circles on my thigh. "Why are you so nervous Gee? This is amazing. I love it!"

After pausing to show him just how much I appreciated his efforts I resumed my reading. There was a frame of me dancing with Pete and Patrick, our official meeting in the dressing room (complete with horrible black eye), a half frame of Frank complaining about me insulting him, with the other half depicting Pete being excited to see me again.

Through the pages there were lots of moments that made me laugh. I found out that Gerard had been the one who'd said I could bite him anytime as we entered the bus for the first time, prompting me to turn and bite his neck playfully, which distracted us for a while longer.

Our first kiss, with a thought bubble coming from Gee that simply said 'WOW', Libby leaving and us comforting each other that night, how he decided to stop drinking and popping pills, the whole Vegas adventure which included the Panic! boys, him asking me to be his girlfriend with the rest of the band looking smug in the background, my surprise birthday party, he'd even included a sample of our phone conversations while we'd had our week break. Everything was there. The VMA's page had his thoughts of finally seeing me in the dress I'd teased him with for so long. I don't think I need to tell you just how they went.

Getting to the last page I was faced with a half page frame showing the two of us sitting here in the park, almost in the same positions as we were now. It was a little scary how well he'd anticipated the moment. The bottom half of the page was nearly identical, the only change being a speech bubble.

"Move to New Jersey with me?" Gerard spoke the words as I read them on the page, his voice quiet but confident, laced with hope.

Looking him straight in the eyes I let my own answer him, unable to contain the smile that was breaking out over my face. "Gee, of course I will! This is... wow... you're unbelievable! Do you have any idea how much I love you?"

I had to laugh a little as his eyes widened in shock before he attacked me with kisses. It was the first time either of us had dared to use that dreaded phrase, but how could I not when he was so perfect? I know he had his flaws, just like anyone else, but he never failed to make me feel special and the lengths he continued to go to to show me just how much he cared blew me away.

Our foreheads rested together as we regained our breath. "I love you too Rach. I think I've loved you since that first day, you haven't left my mind since then."

A few minutes later Gerard was once again rifling through his bag, this time emerging with two items, which he kept hidden behind him. "I know this might be too soon, but I guess we already maybe knew this could happen. Maybe it was just cos we were drunk, but I know I wouldn't have minded. I already knew I loved you, I think everyone else on the tour knew it too."

"Baby, you're rambling again. This is just like our morning in Vegas," I laughed nervously, wondering what the hell he was thinking about. The only time I could remember us really getting drunk together was that morning.

Blowing out a breath to steady his nerves Gee brought out his objects. The first was a piece of paper, which he handed to me before opening up the other which was a box. The paper was a marriage licence from the state of Nevada, both of our names printed neatly on its surface.

All I could do was stare at it for a few seconds, making sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was. Turning to Gerard to question it I was met with him up on one knee, a beautiful ring between his fingers that could only just be overshadowed by the love radiating from his eyes. "One day, can we do this for real?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, i really am leaving you with that ending. No epilogue, no sequel, that's it.

I am so relieved to FINALLY have my baby finished. I'm proud of what i've done with this story, and it still never fails to amaze me that I actually wrote these words.

Eternal thanks to Drea for convincing me to give writing a shot, and encouraging me whenever i was doubtful about continuing.
Also, i'm grateful for every single person who gave this story a glance. To all of the subscribers and commenters, YOU are the reason that this chapter is done.
I'd love to hear what you thought about this chapter, the story, or your ideas of what the future held for them.