Status: Active

Illusion

Part Six

The next day Mel grilled me relentlessly for details on Benton. Disappointment hit her every time she pressed too hard.

“Come on, Mary Beth! I have no love life! Thus, I have to live vicariously through you! Just tell me.”

I sighed, ruffling through my locker contents, “He’s sweet. He’s good at Mario Kart. He’s…gorgeous…smart…funny.”

I looked up at Mel, her eyes huge and pleading for more.

“That’s really all there is to say, Melody.”

She scoffed, “Bull! Is he a good kisser?”

My tiny mirror hanging on the locker door reflected a confused expression, “We both know that neither of us have enough experience to determine that, but…yes. He’s a very good kisser,” I said with a soft smile.

“There’s more. I know there’s more. Give it up,” she demanded.

I shut my locker and turned to face her, “You do realize you’re acting a bit crazy right? As in…borderline creepy?”

She waved a hand through the air as if to wipe away my comment, “More.”

I laughed, “Umm…what would satisfy your romance craving? Well….let’s see. Last night I rode my horse through the blackness of the night wearing a crimson cape, and rode up to Benton’s door where he swept me into his arms and had his way with me right there in the woods.”

She was not amused, “Ha. Seriously though, are you serious about him?”

The two of us walked through the hall, passing numerous groups of people talking excitedly. We made a right turn into the cafeteria for lunch.

“You know…I think I am, which seems crazy seeing as how I met him just days ago. Wow…it’s only been a couple of days. It feels so much longer.”

“So, do you think you’ll take him to the dance next month?”

I took a seat at one of the tables and started unpacking my lunch; a salad, apple, and water. Okay, so I pack healthy lunches, but I've seen the things they sell in the school café and they aren't things I would even feed Oscar.

“Dance?”

She looked at me as if I were an idiot, “Yeah. The dance. You know, those posters plastered all over every inch of the school that say Denali High Dance? That one.”

I took a bite of the apple, “Right, no, yeah. I’ll probably mention it. I don’t want to fling something like that at him yet though. It may be too soon. I’ll ask later, when it’s closer.”

“Well, tickets go on sale next week, and they’ll only be on sale for five days, so…”

“Don’t worry about it.” I told her, ending the conversation.

***


Mel came home with me, still hounding for more. I continued to open my front door as she prattled on.

“If I had a boyfriend, especially one you’d never met before, you know I would be spilling my guts to you over every single detail. AND, if I didn't, you know you would be mad. I’m not asking for much, just a lot insight into your personal relationship with Mr. Hunky. Is that really so much to ask for?”

A headache was forming in the back of my head, pulsating slightly with a threat of intensification. It almost felt like I had a little person in my head, shoving his fingers in his ears screaming, “Dear, God! Make her stop!”

The front door swung open with a shove. I stepped inside and whirled around before Melody could follow.

“MEL! If you do not stop, I will shut this door, go up to my room, log on to the Internet, and find a new best friend. Is this clear?”

Narrowing her eyes, she gave a curt nod, “Where’s Oscar?”

“Excellent. Come on in, Melanie, my dear.”

She came inside and went straight for the kitchen, pawing through our cabinets and pantry as if she lived here. This was the nice thing about having a close friend like Mel. We became like sisters, and seeing as how I was dealt a crappy hand in the sibling department, I was thankful for Melanie even if she was a little overbearing sometimes. Oscar trotted into the room and sat down by the door, hoping one of us would take the hint. I did. While Oscar ran rampant in the backyard, Mel pulled a pot out of the cupboard and started making popcorn. My cell buzzed from where it sat on the table. Benton, it read. I grinned.

“It’s Benton,” I told Mel, flashing the screen at her face briefly.

She looked confused, “I didn't even hear your phone go off.”

“Yeah, but you’re deaf.” I teased.

I ducked as a pot holder flew toward my head. She jerked her arm in my direction, “Answer it, stupid!”

“Well, that’s hurtful.”

She picked up another pot holder, threatening to throw it.

I pressed the phone to my ear, “Hello?”

“Hey, there. Are you home?”

“Yes,” I answered.

“Are you alone?”

“No,” I answered with less enthusiasm.

“Oh,” he sighed. “I wanted to see you.”

I glanced at Mel who was watching me with steadfast eyes.

“The dance!” She mouthed to me. “Ask about the dance!”

“You can,” I told him. “Later? Say…five? I wanted to talk to you about something anyways.”

Mel shook her head disappointingly, “Just ask him now,” she whispered.

“Okay,” he said with a smile in his voice, “Five. My place or yours?”

“Yours. I don’t think I’m ready for you to meet my parents just yet. I’ve never really had a boyfriend before. I think I should at least let them know I have one before I spring you on them.” I said with a smile.

“Ha, alright. Sounds like a plan. See you at five.”

“See you.”

I stuffed my phone into my front pocket just as Melody was transferring her popcorn to a bowl.

“Five, huh?” Mel said. “You should have known better than to say that in front of me. Now I’m going to have to stalk you.”

I rolled my eyes at her. Melody expressed herself in the oddest and most sarcastic ways. To some, this was uncomfortable, but to me, it was just something I had to get used to like a person who had one really annoying habit and his friends eventually do not notice it at all.

***


At ten ‘til five, I ushered Mel out the door. My mom had gotten home just thirty minutes before, and I had informed her I would be spending most the evening at Mel’s house. We walked a block down the road before we parted as I cut through a neighbor’s yard and maneuvered the woods to Benton’s cabin. He waited outside for me, leaning against the house and wood pile. He wore his pea coat and beanie, causing my breath to catch. He always managed to look flawless.

“So,” he said. “Shall we go inside?”

He offers me his arm like a true gentleman would and escorts me into the house. His house smells wonderful. Food wonderful. He has his small table set up nicely with a bowl of salad on the counter and spaghetti already cooked and ready to be served on the stove.

“Hungry? I thought we could have dinner. I’m an excellent cook in case I've never boasted about that.”

“I don’t believe you have. It’s nice to know,” I said with a smile.

He took off his coat and scarf, laying it on the couch. He stepped behind me, helping me out of my own coat and scarf and placing it on top of his. Benton twirled me out quickly, dipping me downwards and kissing me sweetly.

“Oh, are you also a world renowned dancer? What else don’t I know about you? Are you a King in your spare time?” I asked once I had been set upright again.

He scoffed, “Of course not, silly girl. You flatter me. I am but only a Duke,” he teased as he led me to the table.

We sat and scooped salad onto our plates.

“So, what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?”

I sat up a little more straight in my chair, “Well…I don’t mean to be too forward, but Melanie was bugging me about it this morning and it got me thinking and…”

He smiled, putting a forkful of lettuce into his mouth.

“Don’t give me that look,” I snapped at him playfully. “There’s a dance at my school next month and tickets go on sale next week, and I was wondering if maybe you would like to go…with me.”

“No,” he said, his face completely serious.

“Uh…Um…” I stuttered.

He grinned, “I’m just kidding, Mary Beth. I would love to go…with you,” he said, adding the last words on as a joke.

I smiled and let the conversation slip into an easy, nonsensical banter as we finished our meals.

***


After slurping up our spaghetti noodles and getting sauce all over our faces, Benton and I washed the dishes. He washed, and I dried. Adorable, I know. Something about a boy who insisted the dishes be washed on a daily basis earned major points with me. Afterward, I sat on the far edge of the couch with my legs tucked underneath me. I closed my eyes, letting my body enjoy the heat radiating off the fireplace. Benton had gone to his room to grab a few things and left me alone.

“So…” He said, walking back into the living area, “Movie night?”

He held up a small collection of Disney movies and a huge fleece blanket.

“Ohmygoshyes.”

Benton and I spent the entire night wrapped up in that blanket and singing along with all of the songs. I couldn't have asked for anything better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta-da! Finally, right!? I'm sorry. I really am horrible at updating. I would say I'd try to do better, but I always say that and end up breaking it....

I'm sorry.

I have purged my Mibba account. Deleting all those horrible half-done stories, but I decided to keep this one up because I've always liked it, and it seemed like a few other people did too, so... yeah.

Happy Thanksgiving :D