Wake up Under the Sun

Home Is Wherever I'm With You

I was working practically open to close now that I was back on the schedule. Dad would bring Kaden by and we’d all have lunch together in the food court. It was nice having meals with them all the time now, like we were a regular family again. But we weren’t, and I honestly didn’t know if or when we’d ever be considered a normal family after everything that had happened. They could apologize as much as they wanted to, I would always have a hard time putting my full trust back into them.

John called all the time, just like he promised. We Skyped on my days off, and sometimes I’d even ask my dad to bring his laptop so John and I could Skype during my lunch hours. Dad and Kaden would go shopping for a bit while I sat in Starbucks talking to John, but today Kaden had stayed behind with me.

“Hey Lane,” John said once the video cleared up. “And Kaden today too? It’s my lucky day.”

Kaden giggled softly and waved to John. I laughed, “Where are you guys today?”

John scratched the back of his neck and shrugged. “I dunno. I think we were in Seattle yesterday. How much time do you have left until you need to get back to work?”

I looked at the time in the lower right corner. “Ten minutes.”

John frowned slightly and I had to admit, it was super cute. I bit back a smile, though, when he asked Kaden how he had been and what he was up to. John talked to Kaden more than he talked to me, but I enjoyed it. Kaden needed John as much as I did, and I wasn’t going to be the one to take that away from him.

“Hey it’s Delaney!” I heard Garrett shout. John turned away from the computer and swung his arm at him, telling him to shut up. Garrett’s laughing form fell into the chair space next to John and he waved. “Hey guys. What’s up?”

“Oh you know, just hanging out on my lunch break,” I laughed.

“You work so much,” Garrett complained. I made a face at him and shook my head. “Anyway, we’re coming back to Tempe in, like, 6 days. Did John tell you that yet?”

“No, he hasn’t mentioned it,” I said, now giving John a look.

John sighed heavily. “I was going to surprise her, Garrett. Thanks.”

Garrett rolled his eyes. “It’s not like the dates aren’t online.”

I shook my head at the two as dad sat in the seat across from Kaden and me. He did a polite tap of his watch, which caused my eyes to wander down to the clock on the screen. I sighed.

“What?” the boys asked at the same time.

“I have to go,” I told them. They both whined slightly. “Call me after your show, okay?”

Garrett stood, his attention obviously focused on something else as he wandered away. John watched him for a moment then laughed, shook his head, and looked back at his computer. “Of course I will. Bye, Kaden! Be a good boy, alright?”

Kaden waved enthusiastically before slipping off my lap and scooting over to dad’s side of the table. I said goodbye to John and closed the laptop, handing it back to dad. I gave Kaden a hug goodbye and promised I’d see him tomorrow, then thanked dad and went back to work.

After that conversation, with Garrett spilling the news that they were coming back in a few days, I couldn’t focus on much else. Days wore on, the excitement of him coming home consuming my every thought. I had turned into that girl but it didn’t bug me as much as I thought it would. If you had something special, if you felt a connection with someone, why not be happy about it?

So, I was torn between two boys: John and Kaden. Every night after work, I’d stop by to see Kaden and play with him for a little while before his bedtime. He’d become more open to laughing and giggling, but he still wouldn’t venture to make any sort of noise otherwise. It was incredibly puzzling but I didn’t push him.

When I wasn’t working or spending time with Kaden – or even thinking about or talking to John – I was down at Arizona State filling out paperwork and getting my classes scheduled. I had already met a few people in my major who were so nice and friendly. I spent days sitting in some open, grassy courtyard in front of a vacant dormitory building, reading my required chapters prior to starting class in a little over a month. The material was interesting, but so far I hadn’t come across anything to help me figure out why Kaden wouldn’t talk.

I was lying in the courtyard with some new friends discussing the material we had just finished reading. It was a beautiful day; the sun was high above us, the sky was a brilliant blue, and there were plenty of clouds floating around. There was a slight breeze rolling through the open courtyard, keeping us cool. My phone buzzed from beside me, and I picked it up to read the text message from John. I subconsciously smiled at John’s countdown reminder.

“Delaney?”

I snapped my attention away from my phone and onto Ethan. “Yeah?”

“What did you think of the chapter?”

“The chapter? Forget the chapter, look at her smile,” Ava gushed. “Who are you texting, Delaney?”

How do I even label John? My boyfriend? A boy I was dating? Just a boy? “John, um, my boyfriend.”

“Your boyfriend, huh?” Ava asked with a smirk, nudging me.

“Since when do you have a boyfriend?” Ethan asked, sitting up to see over Ava. “Where is he?”

I must have blushed ten shades of red. “He’s, uh.. He’s on tour right now.”

Ava’s eyes gleamed as she shot up, pushing Ethan out of the way. “You’re dating a band guy?! That’s only every girl’s dream!”

I laughed softly when Ethan scoffed. Ava quickly turned to kiss his cheek and pat his head. “It just.. happened. I met him at some backyard get-together at his house.”

“What band is he in? He’s touring, so he has to be famous, right?” Ava asked.

“John O’Callaghan,” I told her. But before I could continue she squealed, causing both Ethan and I to stare at her in shock. “I take it you know him.”

Ava sighed dreamily. “If only. He’s a year older, so I never had any classes with him, but I’d see him in the halls and he’s just so handsome.”

“Yup, I’m sitting right here,” Ethan told her. Ava shushed him.

I laughed, shaking my head slightly. “Well, he’s playing a show here tonight.”

“He’s in town and you’re lying in a stupid field with us?” Ava nearly shrieked. I honestly never would have imagined this side of her.

“It’s barely 11, Ava,” I chuckled. “He’s not even here yet. That’s what he was texting me, how much longer until he’d be here.”

She asked me questions about how much I knew, if I was friends with anyone beforehand, or if I had listened to their music before meeting them. I answered with laughs and soft chuckles. I had no idea the following here was so big.

My phone rang before Ava could ask another question, and I sighed when I saw it was only my dad. I excused myself from Ava and Ethan, standing up and walking a few feet away, brushing grass off my shorts as I walked.

“Hey dad, what’s up?” I asked when I answered.

“Just wondering if you’d be stopping by today,” he said.

“Oh, yeah, I will, but I can’t right now. I’m with some friends at ASU,” I told him. “Um, John’s playing a show here tonight, so I’m going to pick him up before stopping in at home. He’ll want to see Kaden, you know.”

“That’s fine. Kaden loves John,” Dad laughed. “So I’ll see you later, then?”

“Yeah, probably around 2 or 3,” I said with a shrug.

“Okay, Laney. Be careful and have fun,” he said before hanging up.

I smiled to myself, sliding my phone into my pocket. It wasn’t there for more than a few seconds before it buzzed with life again. I pulled it out as I walked back over to Ethan and Ava. It was a text message from John, saying the bus had just pulled up to the venue.

“Hey guys, I have to go,” I told them. “Will you be at the show tonight?”

“Yes!” Ava yelled excitedly. When my phone started ringing again, she grinned up at me. “Is that John?”

I blushed. “I’ll see you guys tonight, okay?”

I leaned down to grab my books and my bag, stumbling away from the two as I answered my phone. “Hey,” I said happily. “I’m just leaving. I should be there in a few minutes.”

“Hurry,” he laughed. “I want to see you right this second.”

I rolled my eyes, falling into my car. I dropped my things onto the passenger seat and started the car up. “I have to abide by the law, John.”

He groaned. “Okay. But hurry.”

I promised I’d hurry before we laughed out a goodbye and hung up. The Marquee wasn’t that far from school, probably five minutes at most, and when I pulled up I saw the long line of girls forming already and the buses parked all around. John was standing behind a white van, hiding from the line. I pulled up in front of the van and parked. John walked over to my car, sliding into the passenger seat. He picked up my books, tossing my bag onto the floor, and as soon as the door shut, he leaned over and kissed me hard.

“How was your study group?” he asked between kisses.

“Really?” I asked in return, leaning into the kisses. “You want to talk about school?”

John smirked. “No, not really.”

“Good,” I replied, placed my hands on his cheeks and pulled him even closer to me. We shared a few more kisses before we fell into our seats. “Ready to go?”

“Let’s blow this popsicle joint,” John said, tilting his sunglasses onto the bridge of his nose. And as I drove away from the venue, I felt his hand rest on my thigh and then his fingers gently wrap around my hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
so the comments last time were a little disappointing. but i love you all still the same!

not to sure about this chapter, but john's back for 24 hours yay. kaden will be so excited.

after a couple more chapters, we're going to jump into 2009 i think. so be prepared for that big leap.