Status: Maybe active.

Wasatch Country

One

A lone girl walked down the deserted trail, her tall figure slowly walking amongst the trees, feet gently slapping the dirt, her shaggy head watching them intently. She squinted into the harsh afternoon sun, and parted her lips, as if to say something. Instead a gentle sigh passed them, blending in with the soft breeze that rustled the tree's. The forbidding Wasatch mountains rose around her. The beauty of the scenery seemed to taunt her. How could something be so very beautiful on a day that was so very painful?

A year. It had been a year. A year since she had lost everything. Not literally… She had her apartment, her car, a dog… She had things. But her everything, the thing that made her roll out of bed in the mornings, and thank god that she was born. Her someone.

They were driving home on a back road. The road was so icy...It was so hard to see, and so hard to keep control. They slid on a patch of black ice, and slid into a ditch.

She remembered the sickening thud of her lovers head hitting the wind shield. She remembered clutching her hand, praying to God she would be alright.

She wasn't.

The girl was hurt, with a shattered jaw bone and arm, but she had her life.

Her lover had sever brain damage. She never woke up from that coma. She was a vegetable for four months before she crashed.

She died on a cold December day, not unlike the one the girl found herself in today. She crashed when the girl was at home getting a change of clothes, and feeding the dog. She returned to an empty room, and crushing news.

The pain had barely faded since that day. It seemed like she had just gotten that terrible news, that at that point, she was truly and horribly alone.

And today, she found herself climbing through the forbidding Wasatch mountains, making the painful trek to the place where she had let her go.

Not to the wreck site, that is. She hadn't taken that road since the accident. She was afraid that if she did, she might wreck... on purpose. The temptation would be too much.

But as she suddenly burst onto a rock outcrop that suddenly dropped off to a hazy view of the distant Salt Lake City, she felt that it had be only a few moments ago that she had tossed her life's ashes off this cliff.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, it's kind of a work in progress, and constructive criticism is very very welcome.