Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Firelight Dinner

I didn't join Jareth for dinner. I just couldn't. I got to the half-way point in the book and decided to take a long, hot bubble bath. I walked into the bathroom and turned the water on, letting the tub fill as I got my pajamas out. When I was ready I slipped into the tub, leaned back, and closed my eyes. I don't know how long I sat there but eventually there was a knock on the door. "Abigail," came Brynn's voice.

"One moment!" I pulled the plug from the drain and stood up. I wrapped a large white towel around me and walked to the door. I pulled it open just enough to look out and see Brynn. "Yes?"

"Jareth wants to know if you're joining him for dinner."

I shook my head, "Not tonight."

"Alright. I'll bring something up to you then."

"Thank you," I smiled. She scurried away and I got dressed before returning to my book. Thirty minutes later Brynn came back with food for me, "Thank you Brynn."

"You're welcome," she smiled and turned to leave the room.

As I got closer to the end of the book, the more sleep wanted to take over. Finally, I sat it down and crawled into bed, falling into a dreamless sleep. The next morning I refused to join Jareth for breakfast, and stayed in my room. I finished the book, and tired of reading, decided to go outside. I walked to the stables and over to the horse I had rode a couple of days before. I smiled as I ran my hand over her.

"You plan on riding alone today?" came Jareth's voice.

Startled, I jumped slightly. "No, I just....I was bored, and decided to come outside. I wasn't going to ride the horse, I just wanted to see her."

"We can still go riding...if you want."

"I'm really not dressed for it," I said, looking down at my dress.

"Suit yourself then," he said with a shrug before turning and walking away.

I frowned and turned back to the horse. "What do you think Chessie? Should I give him another chance?"

The horse neighed and I smiled. I walked back into the castle and up to my room. I finished the book and walked back to the library. I was starting to like these daily trips to the gigantic room. Maybe I should just start sleeping in it. I replaced "Frankenstein" onto it's shelf, and grabbed "Moby Dick." Not feeling like going to my room I decided to sit in the library and read. As I got closer to where the furniture sat I could hear the crackling of a fire. When it came into view I seen that Jareth was sitting on a blanket in front of the fire, trays of food were next to him.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Waiting for you. It took you long enough."

"What is all of this for?"

"I had a feeling you were going to try and skip out of dinner, so I had this arranged. A picnic in the library."

I arched one eyebrow at him. It was strange how he would do something awful, and then do something amazing.

He patted the blanket beside him, "Come. Sit. Enjoy the fire."

I walked over to him and sat down on the blanket. My knees bent slightly as he passed me a tray of food.