Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Lily

After Jareth and I ate, we sat by the fire reading the book to each other. We were almost finished with it when I yawned. He looked out the window then said, "It's getting pretty late. You should get to bed."

I nodded and stood up. My knees wobbled, and when I started to fall over Jareth caught me. I smiled at him, and he smiled back. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." There was a brief pause and then he said, "If you would like, I'll escort you to your room."

"That would be nice."

He picked up the book and we left the library. We didn't talk on the way to my room, but the silence was a comfortable one. "Abigail," he said as we turned the corner to the hall my bedroom was on.

"Yes?"

"This weekend I'm hosting the annual masquerade ball and people from all over are going to be attending, including people from outside of my kingdom. As someone who lives in my castle, it is required that you attend."

"Okay," I said. I was too tired to really pay attention to everything that he was saying, just that he was having me come to some ball.

We got to my door and I smiled at him, "Brynn will be by tomorrow to measure you for a gown and she'll be overseeing your attire. I expect you to look nothing less than a princess."

I nodded, not really caring about what he was saying. I just wanted to crawl under my big pink blanket and go to sleep.

He smiled, "Good night Abigail."

"Good night Jareth." He leaned down and kissed my cheek before walking away. I was too sleepy to even register anything he had just said or done so I walked inside my bedroom, laid down on my bed without changing, and went to sleep.

I slept rather late the next day, and when I woke up I found a note on my coffee table along with a pink stargazer lily, my favorite type of flower. I got up and walked over to the table to pick up the note. It read:

Abigail,

I told Brynn not to bother you too early.
She'll be by this evening to work on your outfit for
the masquerade ball. I hope you like the flower.
I'm having some planted just for you since I
know they are your favorite.

Jareth


I put the note down and picked up the lily. It was so sweet of him. I closed my eyes and inhaled, taking in the scent. Then I walked over to the closet and changed into a pale pink dress before pinning the flower into my hair. I sat down on the couch and started to finish the book when there was a knock on the door. Brynn walked in with a tray of food. "I wasn't sure if you were awake yet," she said, "But I thought I'd bring you something to eat."

"Thank you Brynn," I said with a smile.

"You're welcome." She sat the tray down. "After you've ate I'll go ahead and get the measurements out of the way, that way the seamstress can start working on your dress."

"Okay."

She smiled and left the room so I could eat. About thirty minutes later she came back and took my measurements before leaving. I was curious as to what I would wear since I'd never gone to anything like this before. I had always dreamed of it though.