Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Masquerade Ball

In the days that followed I didn't see much of Jareth since he was preparing for the ball. I didn't mind though. I was busy constantly being fitted for my dress. It was gorgeous. It was a pale pink ball gown and the skirt was made of layers of tulle that had tiny crystals woven throughout it. The top of the gown was corseted and strapless and it sparkled. It also had little crystals sewn into the top of it. On the day of the masquerade Brynn helped me get ready. She laced up the back of the dress with a pale pink ribbon and tied it tight before helping me with my hair.

She curled my long brown hair and then tied it back. My hair cascaded down my back, leaving just a couple of small ringlets to frame my face. Brynn pinned stargazer lilies into my hair and then tied my pale pink mask around my head. It only covered the top of my face and it sparkled just like the dress. As I fastened my beige dancing shoes on Brynn stepped back to look at me. "You look absolutely breathtaking," she said.

I smiled, "Thank you."

"Are you ready?" she asked as I finished fastening my shoes. I nodded and stood up, and she led me to the ball room. I walked in and looked around. There was a very long table filled with food and drinks lining one wall, and a band on a raised platform nearby. People filled the room talking and laughing. I walked through the crowd of people unsure of what to do or who to talk to.

Finally, a tall man with long blonde hair wearing a tuxedo and a black mask with silver trim and black feathers walked up to me. There was something familiar about him as he asked, "Would you care to dance?"

Not wanting to spend the evening alone I accepted his offer and took his hand. He led me out onto the dance floor and we twirled around. I felt just like a princess. We danced for three or four songs before walking outside into the garden. "Tonight has been wonderful," I said, looking up at the moon.

"It has been," he agreed.

I looked at him and smiled. "I feel just like Cinderella dancing with Prince Charming. At least at the stroke of midnight, this magic won't run out."

He smiled and walked over to me where we sat on a small stone bench next to a rose bush. "It's getting late though. Everyone will be leaving soon."

I sighed, he was right. "Yes, I suppose they will." We stared at each other for a moment before he leaned forward and kissed me. I blushed slightly before standing up. "I should probably go."

I got up and left quickly, returning to my room. Brynn was already waiting for me to help me with the dress. I told her about the mystery man. "You have no clue as to who it could've been?" she asked. The tone of her voice made it seem as if she knew something I didn't.

I shook my head, "No. Do you know who it could've been."

I seen the smile in her eyes as she shook her head. "Not a clue."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat on the bench outside where Abigail had left me. She had no idea I was her Prince Charming, and if she did, she didn't let on about it. Brynn walked up, "Your highness," she said, "every one has left now."

"Has Abigail figure out it was me she danced with tonight?"

Brynn chuckled and shook her head, "Not at all. She'll probably realize it come morning."

I nodded, "You're probably right." I smiled and took the mask off. I stood up to walk back inside and retire for the night. "Brynn, don't worry about cleaning up tonight. You guys can start on that tomorrow."

She smiled, "Thank you sir."