Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Realization

I was back at the ball, dancing with my mystery prince. He twirled me around on the dance floor as the sound of Vivaldi filled the room. Slowly the people started to vanish until it was just the two of us in the center of the ballroom and the music flowing around us. "You are absolutely breathtaking, Abigail," he said to me.

"How do you know it's me?"

He smiled and that's when I realized it. The one thing I had missed all night...his eyes. The mismatched eyes of Jareth stared at me underneath the Venetian mask.

"Jareth..." I whispered.

He reached up and took the mask off. "I was wondering how long it would take you to figure it out."


I opened my eyes as the realization hit me. How could I of not realized it was him? I guess I had just been entranced by everything to not notice. I sat up in bed and swung my feet over the side. I looked out the window, it was still dark, but I could see the sun starting to rise. I got up and left my room, marching down the empty halls to Jareth's throne room. It was empty except for one goblin sweeping the floor.

"You!" I shouted at him, since I didn't know his name.

He turned to face me, "Yes, m'lady?"

"Where is Jareth?"

"Sleeping."

"Where?"

The frightened goblin gave me directions to Jareth's bedroom and I followed them. I banged on the large double doors, but there was no answer. "Jareth, open the door! I know you're in there!" I shouted.

Still no answer.

I grabbed the doorknobs and turned. The doors were unlocked so I pushed them open and marched into the room, and up to the large four-poster bed. "Jareth!" I yelled.

Nothing.

I shook him in an attempt to wake him, he didn't stir. I slapped his face gently, and he swatted my hand away, still asleep. I yanked his hair. "Ow!" he yelled, sitting up and touching the spot that hurt. "What was that for?"

"Why didn't you tell me it was you?"

"It was me what?"

"At the ball! How come you didn't tell me it was you that I was dancing with?"

"Would you have danced with me otherwise?"

I paused for a moment to think about it. "Maybe....I don't know."

"Would you have kissed me?"

"Probably not. You took advantage of me! I didn't know it was you!"

"So would have rather kissed a stranger?" He had me there. While I tried to come up with a reply he glanced out the window. "We can talk about this later." He laid back on his bed, "Go away."

I narrowed my eyes at him before turning to leave the room. As I got to the doorway he said, "Oh, and one other thing, Abigail," I turned to face him, arching one eyebrow, "Don't ever barge into my room while I'm sleep again!"

I didn't say anything and left, slamming each door behind me.