Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Happy Birthday

A week or so passed, and I seemed to lose track of time. As mundane as things were, I never seemed to actually be bored. I'd either go horseback riding with Jareth, or spend the day in the library. Jareth and I continued to get along, for the most part. Every now and then we'd have a little dispute, but we would settle the argument, and then not talk about it again.

I was sitting in the library on the couch reading "Through the Looking Glass". My legs were tucked under me, and the skirt of my dress draped down onto the floor. I heard the door open and soft footsteps walking towards me. I looked up as they got closer and smiled when I seen Jareth. "What is it with you and these books?" he asked, a small smile playing across his lips.

I shrugged, "Books can take you places real life can't."

"I can take you anywhere you want to go."

I chuckled, "Can you take me to battle pirates on Treasure Island? Or under the sea with Captain Nemo?"

"No, I suppose not."

"Then leave me and my books alone."

He shook his head slightly, chuckling, "Are you going to join me for dinner this evening?"

I sighed, "I suppose so."

I marked my page and stretched out my legs before placing my feet on the ground and standing up. Jareth and I walked silently to the dining room. We sat in our usual chairs, and dinner was served. Conversation was kept at a minimum tonight, although I wasn't really sure why we were both being so quiet. Finally the meal was over and we started to leave. "Before you retire to your room tonight, there's something I want to tell you, Abigail."

"What is it?" I asked, curiously.

"I have a surprise planned for tomorrow evening. I want you to dress nice. Brynn will help you pick something."

"Um...okay."

I was curious about what Jareth had planned, but I guessed I'd find out the next day.

When I got up Brynn brought my breakfast to my room like usual, and I ate lunch. Afterwards she helped me pick out something nice enough for whatever Jareth had planned. I wore a lavender sheath dress with a drop-waist. There were a few sequins around the bodice and a little bit of material draped at the side. I put on the same shoes I had worn to the masquerade ball, and Brynn curled my hair. She pulled the front back and fastened it with a clip that had small lavenders on it. "You look stunning," she said, once I was ready.

"Thank you," I told her with a smile. She led me to the ballroom and opened the door for me. I stepped inside and Jareth was standing in the middle of the room. He was dressed in an outfit similar to what he'd worn to the masquerade ball. There was an elegantly decorated cake on a table nearby, and music was coming from somewhere, but I couldn't figure that out.

"Jareth, what is all this?"

"Have you forgotten about your birthday, Abigail?"

"My birthday..." My forehead wrinkled in thought as I tried to figure everything out. He was right. Today was my birthday, somehow I had forgotten about it. "It is my birthday," I said, more to myself than to him.

He walked forward as a new song began to play and held out his hand, "Shall we dance?"

"Sure." I took his hand and he twirled me around on the dance floor in a waltz. We danced for awhile before finally stopping for a break.

"Shall we cut the cake?" he asked.

I nodded and, with our arms linked, we walked over to the table, and Jareth cute two slices of the cake for us to eat. "Happy birthday Abigail," he said to me, as I ate.

"Thank you. Why did you do this though? It was really unnecessary."

"Because you didn't know it was me you were dancing with at the ball, and I wanted to dance with you when you knew it was me."

"So selfish," I said, playfully.

"I have a present for you," he said as he sat his plate down. He reached inside his coat and pulled out one of the crystals.

"It isn't going to turn into something is it?"

He chuckled, "No. This will stay a crystal." He handed it to me. "I know you miss people from your old life, and with this you'll be able to see what they're up to. Just hold it, and think of the person you want to see."

My dad, I thought. There was a blurry image of him in the crystal. He seemed happy. He was at a fancy restaurant with a woman obviously younger than him. He had completely forgotten about me. I wasn't actually surprised. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened my eyes again I handed the crystal back to Jareth, "Thank you, but I don't need it. I'm happy here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm happy here." Those three words played through my head over and over as I laid in bed attempting to go to sleep. She had meant it when she said it. I was finally starting to win Abigail over. It wouldn't be long before she'd love me.