Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Dinner

After Jareth left me in my room I walked into the bathroom and turned the water on in the giant tub. I poured a scented bubble bath into the water and stripped out of the now dirty pajamas. I stepped into the tub of warm water and laid back against the wall of the tub. I sighed and closed my eyes. The water felt so nice.

I seemed to lose track of the time though because eventually there was a knock on the bathroom door and I heard the voice of one of the goblins telling me that it was dinner time and Jareth didn't want to wait for me much longer.

I pulled the stopper out of the tub and wrapped a gigantic, plush towel around me as I stepped out. I walked to the closet and opened it up. It was filled with dresses, not that I minded, over half of my old wardrobe was comprised of dresses and skirts, but these were so....outdated. I chose the most modern one I could find. A knee-length, black, spaghetti strap dress with an empire waist. There was a small row of black sequins at the waist line and it zipped up on the side. I slid it on and then put on a pair of sparkly black flats before pinning my hair up.

I opened the door to the bedroom and one of the goblins was standing there, "I'm to take you to the dining room for you to eat with Jareth, Ms."

"Um...Okay." I still hadn't gotten used to the goblins running around yet. They were still so strange looking to me, but I was grateful that this one with the deep voice was there to take me to the dining room. Otherwise, I was sure to get lost.

I followed closely behind him, and after a few minutes he opened a door and held it for me. I walked into the room and the goblin closed the door behind me. At the end of a very long table sat Jareth. There was a plate, glass, and silverware in front of him, and the same at the spot next to him. He smiled when he seen me and motioned for me to come sit beside him.

When I got closer he stood and pulled the chair out for me. I sat and he reseated himself. Three goblins, that I'm pretty sure where female, came through a pair of double doors at the other end of the room to serve our food. After they left Jareth turned to me and asked, "So, how did you enjoy my Labyrinth today?"

I thought about it for a moment before I answered, "I absolutely hated it! It was so confusing, and everything kept changing. I can't see how any one can stand to be in it."

He gave an amused smirk before picking up his glass and taking a sip. "How do you like your room?"

"It's very nice. I could do without so many out dated dresses though."

"Time in the Underground is much different then what you're used to, Abigail. What's outdated to you, isn't here."

"Well, I'm just not used to the high collars and everything."

"Why don't you just be grateful and say thank you? I could make you wear your dirty pajamas all the time."

"You wouldn't!"

"Do you want to bet on that?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, and he narrowed his back. There was something almost scary about the look in his unmatching eyes. I blinked and looked away.

I ate the rest of my dinner quietly and refused to look at Jareth. At least, not straight at him. I kept glancing at him out of the corner of my eye. Every time I did he was watching my, amused as if he were watching some circus animal do tricks. When I was finished with my food I pushed my plate slightly forward and said, "I'm done. Thank you for dinner, but I think I want to go to bed now."

I stood up and started to leave.

"Wait!" he called, "Don't you want to have some dessert?"

"No. I'm full," I said without turning to look back at him.

"Suit yourself then."

I left the room and headed off to find my room.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Brynn, one of the goblin girls that had served us dinner came to collect Abigail's dishes, "Forgive me sir if it's too bold to say this, but I don't think threatening her is going to win her heart?"

I sighed. She was right even if I didn't want to admit it. "Brynn, how am I supposed to win her heart when she makes it so difficult to let me love her?"

"It's not that she won't let you lover her, sir. It's that she's scared of loving you. At least that's what I think any ways."

"What do you mean?"

"You took her from her home without any warning, and expect her to fall head over heels for you immediately. She won't though. You have to woo her. You see, she knows she'll be here forever, and it scares her, especially to think that she may love you."

"How am I supposed to woo her?"

Brynn shrugged, "Appeal to her interests; talk to her, gently; find out who she is inside; and for goodness sake, don't threaten her!"

Brynn hurried off with the dishes and I thought about what she said. Perhaps she was right.