Status: Complete

I'll Be There for You; As the World Falls Down

Riding

I woke up the next morning to the sound of a tapping on my bedroom door. I sat up in the bed just as it opened and Brynn walked in carrying a box. "Jareth asked me to give this to you," she said, sitting it down where she normally sat my breakfast. "He also asked if you would join him in the dining room for breakfast."

I nodded, "Of course, tell him I'll be there as soon as I change."

"I will."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," she smiled and left the room. I stepped out of bed, curious about what was in the box, and opened it before bothering to pick out something to wear. I untied the string from around the box and pulled the lid off. Inside was a pair of brown pants that looked like they would be rather snug and a white button-down shirt with long sleeves. I smiled. Jareth must have had these sent to me so I wouldn't have to ride side-saddle.

I quickly changed into the clothes and then went to the closet. I put on a pair of brown leather boots that went up to me knees and walked into the bathroom. I tied my hair up and smiled at my reflection before heading to the dining room for breakfast. Jareth was already sitting in his usual spot waiting for me. He smiled when I entered the room, "I take it you like my gift?"

I nodded, "Yes, thank you."

"You're welcome." He motioned for me to sit in my usual seat and then Brynn and the other girls brought out our breakfast. We ate quietly and then headed outside to the stables. What I assumed was a male goblin brought out two horses for us. One was black and very large. The other was dark brown and small compared to the other one. I assumed the black one was for Jareth, and I was correct.

The horses were already saddled and ready to go. "Thank you," Jareth said to the goblin who handed him the reigns of the horses. The goblin bowed and walked away. Jareth helped me onto the horse before getting on his. As we rode he told me what to do, and I quickly got the hang of it. I enjoyed my day with him and the horses and didn't even realize we had skipped lunch until the sky began to darken.

We rode back to the stable, and the same goblin as before took the horses from us, leading them into the shelter. Jareth and I walked back up to the castle for dinner. "So how did you enjoy today?" he asked as we sat down.

"It was fun. I think I might enjoy doing it again," I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Good. I will be busy tomorrow, but perhaps the day after we could go riding again?"

Even though he said it like a question, I knew he expected me to say yes. Knowing how bored I would be otherwise, I nodded. "Yes, I'd like that."

"Good."

"There's just one thing."

"And that is?"

"We should eat lunch at some point."

He nodded his head, "We can bring a picnic."

We ate our dinner in silence and then I went to my room to bathe before going to bed. As I laid down and pulled the blanket over me, I realized that I was starting to feel something for Jareth that I had never felt before.