Melting The Ice

Asher

I was sitting in the kitchen eating homemade cookies when Ari came storming though the door. He sat down next to me and shoved three cookies into his mouth. I swear, if he could fit anything more in his mouth, he'd be a giant.

"I take it you didn't get your tattoo," I said in between chews.

He growled and nodded his head. "I've got to wait until tomorrow. I saw one of those tattoo artists fall on his ass and he snapped at me. Didn't even say that he was sorry."

I rolled my eyes at him. He was getting worked up for nothing again. It was nine thirty so the man must have wanted to get home to his family. If he worked there, he would have been tired. Ari can't see these kinds of things easily. I think it's because he watches too many horror movies.

"I've got some pretty cool news," I told him in attempt to steer away from an angry topic.

He watched me with his deep blue eyes that were almost dark enough to be black. He had inherited our dad's eyes. I had gotten the hazel of the mother we never knew. I longed to have his eyes. Every time dad looked at me he saw our mother.

Our mother had died of cancer a few months after we were born. Everyone was amazed that we didn't have cancer. I think she was protecting us. Ari and I may not have known her, but we loved her. It's a mother-son thing, I'm sure.

"What is it," Ari asked, curiosity sparking in his eyes. "Did you buy me a new movie for Christmas? Is it Nightmare Before Christmas? Oh! I got it-Sweeny Todd!"

I shook my head. He was such a horror freak. I don't mean that in a bad way. I loved my brother. He was amazing. Dad aways said he got it from our schizophrenic grandmother. I had no doubt about that.

"I went to Zumiez a few days ago to buy a new snowboard, " I started, "and I entered this contest or whatever it was. Today, in the mail, i got a letter that said I won. I can bring along a friend. By friend, I mean you."

"What did you win?!"

I reached into my jacket pocket and pulled out two tickets and room passes. " A two week stay at Reed's Ski Resort. It's about two hours away from here but I think it will be worth the drive!"

I expected him to go crazy. After all, he was an amazing skateboarder and loved to snowboard. O thought he'd be happy. If anything, he seemed sad. His smile turned into a frown and his eyes dulled.

"What's wrong," I asked. "I thought you'd want to go, Ari."

"I do..." He trailed off, not saying the obvious 'but.'

"Then why aren't you happy?"

"I just...don't want to leave Dad alone," he admitted.

I understood what he meant. He didn't want Dad to be here. This house contained so many memories of Mom. Of course he shouldn't be alone. But, it's been sixteen years. I'm sure it's safe enough to leave him alone for a little bit...

"Ari...I don't want to leave him either, but we'll be back before Christmas. After that, we'll go back. We'll make sure he gets the best gift and...we should just have fun for once."

I watched Ari to see if he was going to change his mind.

"Fine," Ari sighed. "We'll go."

YES!

"I love you Ari!"

"I know."

Jerk.
♠ ♠ ♠
How am I doing so far? Is it good? Comments are helpful.