Melting The Ice

Logan

It has been a while since we drove own the the Ski Resort. Before, we always had our parents. This time, it took an extra hour because we kept making the wrong turn. Plus, I had an extra large slush puppy, so...Moving on!

We arrived at the resort around three o'clock. The guard at the back door, which we always used, was a scruffy fellow named Frank Fernan. Frank has worked for Reeds Resort for years. He used to come by the cabin with celebratory wine and cookies because we only see him once a year. There was definitely going to be a little part tonight.

"Logan, Luke, how nice it is to see you boys again," Frank exclaimed when we rolled down the window. "It has been so long." Frank scratched his beard, trying to remember exactly how long. "At least six years. A lot too long"

"Yes it has," Luke agreed. "It's certainly nice to see you again, Frank."

"Come by later," I told Frank, happy to see our old time friend. Frank used to be our dad whenever our real one was out. We owed him for a happy childhood. "This time, you can let us drink more than one tiny shot glass of wine!"

Frank laughed loudly. "I will. You can count on it. Now, go get settled in and I will see you two later."

"Until later," Luke and I chorused and rolled up the window.

The reason we used the back entrance was because our cabin was closest to it. If we were to go through the front, it would take us at least thirty minutes to drive across the far stretched ski resort.

When Luke turned into the road that led up to the cabin, I nearly shrieked. The cabin was at least four times the size of a normal one, with a Christmas trim and a lovely balcony. The roof was covered in white snow, icicles dripping down. Luke used to climb all the way to the top so that no one could strap him into the car. Back then, he hated going home.

As soon as Luke parked the car in the back, I sprang out and towards the back door, nearly falling. I felt under the welcome rug and found the golden key. It was like finding a Willy Wonka golden ticket, only better,

I unlocked the front door and was welcomed with the warm scent of cherry pie and pine. The back door led into a semi living room. The furniture was so unique. The couches and chairs were finely decorated red and tan designs. There were shelves of china and a grandfather clock along the wall. A log staircase twisted up into the second floor.

I plopped down onto a chair and watched as Luke dragged the bags up the patio stairs, cursing and damning me the whole way. It wasn't my fault. I was too excited to remember that we had luggage.

Luke dropped the bags at my feet and glared at me. "Get your crap and go find a room.

"Fine, fine."

I grabbed as many bags as I could carry and trudged up the log stairs. The second floor was similar to the second. There was no carpet and one door on each three walls. I set my bags down and leaned carefully against the banister, trying to remember which room I had as a child.

I decided that it was the first room to the left. How did I know that it was the first room? It had a golden one on it, The two doors on the wall in the middle were two and three. The door on the right wall was number four.

I picked up my bags once again and opened the door to the room. I was right. This was definitely the room I picked as a young boy.

The big bed was pushed against the wall, a lamp table on each side. On the bed was a quilted blanket and pillows. Over the bed was a small window looking out, its green curtains pulled back. In front of the bed was a small toy chest with a little bear on top. The bear's name was Jerome. It wasn't the largest room in the place, which made me happy. Too much space made me nervous.

I placed all of my bags into the toy chest and jumped onto the bed. It smelled like oak and ash, so very familiar.

I rolled onto my back and stared at the log ceiling. It's good to be back.