It Gets Better

1/1

I'm Danielle. I'm 15 and I'm bisexual. I found out who I was in seventh grade and I never had any problems accepting myself. To me, this is just another part of myself that's beautiful. Growing up, I'd always been made fun of because I was fat, I was "Gothic" and to top it all off, I was a "dyke". I had always known I was different, but I never really figured it out until middle school.

When my mom passed away, everything sort of got worse. It was like my shield was gone. The only person that made me feel safe wasn't with me anymore. And that was the most hardest thing I've ever dealt with. She loved me for who I was and she never wanted me to change. My dad, on the other hand, denied it. I hadn't lived with him for 5 years.

I moved in with my very conservative aunt. She treated my sister and I like shit. Especially me, because I was different. We didn't have a very good social life. We were caged up. Finally, I called my dad, crying one day. I wanted out of her house and I wanted to live with him. And so we moved again. And I think that was the best decision I'd ever made. He accepts me now and I'm at peace.

There's just that look in someones eyes or that sound in their voice when you tell them you're sexual orientation. Something that is not a big deal, suddenly gets you bashed and called terrible names and I'm ashamed that in this world today, people can be so cruel.

I was always the person in school that people would turn to for advice or even just a hug. I was always out and I was kind of the only proud gay person in that school. I was the first person my best friend came out to and he did so, knowing that I would accept him and love him just the same as I did before. And people always view me as so strong because I put on this game face and I talk to people, but really. I'm just as depressed as everyone else is.

Yes, I have thought about suicide before. I pictured everyone's reactions and my funeral, the whole charade. But, there is no reason that someone should make you feel so bad and so alone, to make you feel like you're not even human. It's pathetic and those bullies are hiding from themselves. They have problems, too. Either they're gay. Or they don't feel too pretty. They pick on you for the sake of feeling better about themselves.

You need to take a stand and have some pride. You are the way you are, and nothing can change that. I am proof that it gets better. I promise you, no matter what you're going through. You're life will become easier. Just have pride and hope and hang in there. I love you. Everyone loves you. Without you, it would be a very boring place. IT GETS BETTER.
♠ ♠ ♠
*kisses and hugs*