You Are...

You Are... Chapter 7

Joe left me up and spun me around before throwing me into the wave. I screamed as I hit the water. Once I resurfaced I tried to run after him, but you can only more so fast in water.
Pierce caught me and lifted me onto his shoulders. “How about a game of chicken?”
“Against who?” I asked
“Us bitch!” Aubrey said sitting on Noel’s shoulders.
I laughed. “You’re going to lose!” I said.
“Why’s that?” Noel asked.
“We are a dynamite team!” Pierce said as Aubrey and I grabbed each others arms and tried to knock the other one over. Peirce held on to my legs pretty tightly so I didn’t really worry about falling off.
The other people crowded around us and chanted either Peirce’s or Noel’s name, since they didn’t know mine or Aubrey’s.
I finally pushed her off and she fell into the water. I pumped my fist in the air.
“Victory!”
Peirce helped me off of his shoulders and high fived me.
“We are a dynamite team.”
I smiled. “I guess so.”
I took a quick glance at Joe who gave me a thumbs up. I smiled at him before walking out of the water.
I headed over to my towel and dried off. I pulled on an old t shirt, which I brought with me, and a pair of shorts. I slipped on my flip flops as Joe jogged over to me.
I smiled and tried to look at his face, “Hey”.
“Where are you going?” he asked running his fingers through his hair.
“To the board walk. I’m getting hungry.”
“Need some company?”
“Well, since it’s you…”
He smiled and walked with me to the board walk.
“So, Leah, tell me about yourself”.
“What do you want to know?” I asked.
“Whatever you want to tell me”.
“I want to be an art teacher. What about you?”
“I don’t know yet.” He said laughing slightly.
I smiled. “That’s cool. Um…I really like jazz,” I said fishing for things to say.
“I like the main stream stuff, any thing new and up coming.”
“I love movies.”
“I love T.V.; hate commercials.”
“I know, it’s like they’re taking over the world.”
“That and Google.”
I laughed. “Very true,” I said as I walked into a cafeteria like place. I walked over to the pizza place, with Joe close behind.
“Hi,” the lady behind the counter said.
“Hi, can I get one slice of cheese and …”
“One pepperoni,” Joe finished.
“Okay, kiddies, that would be five fifty,” she said smiling.
Joe pulled out a ten before I could take out my wallet. She smiled at him and took his money.
“Thanks,” I said.
“Anything for the pretty lady,” she smiled at me and handed Joe his change. He put a dollar into the tip jar and she grinned at me as she headed over to the kitchen.
“Does really like you huh?”
“No…she really likes you,” I said laughing.
“Oh!” he said.
“Here you,” she said. “He’s a keeper,” she whispered loudly to me.
We took out pizza and I grinned.
“Thanks, I’ll remember that.”
She nodded and walked away.
Joe and I sat down across from each other. “I’m a keeper huh?”
“I guess so.” I laughed.
Joe and I sat and eat together as we talked. An hour or so later we walked back to the beach and joined the others.