Spark

1/1

Taken from my place, set still in the grass, I saw what has come and gone and what may never be there again. I looked attentively at my watch, the lightly blue glow illuminating my face, giving my bright green eyes a shade of color that was indescribable yet would be somewhat beautiful to a blind man. The time stared back at me, it was only half past. My hand shook as I reached into the pocket of my jacket, it was not cold outside, I just feared the consequences if someone were to find what I was doing out here. I pulled out a long skinny blunt from my pocket and simply placed it in between my ruby red painted lips. My hands went back into my pocket searching for my lighter. My hands scrambled around as I was desperate for the spark. I cursed lightly under my breath, the blunt loosely hanging from my lips. Then a hand had reached out in front of my face. His long skinny fingers held onto a shiny metal lighter. I reached my hands towards it and he closed his hand tighter around the butane container.

“I’ll let you use it if you give me one,” he said, his voice was raspy and his breath smelled like cigarettes and whiskey. Why would he want to add another scent to his breath?

My face fell slightly, even though it wasn’t very high to begin with.

My shoved my hand back into my pocket pulled out the last blunt I had. I handed it to him without a care or thought. He immediately grabbed it and put it to his lips.

The faint warmth from the lighter felt nice on the side of my face and he lit his up. Then the lighter was at the tip of my blunt. The glow from the fire probably lit up the majority of my face, or at least enough to see the smeared day old make-up and my red eyes. I know he noticed this cause his eyes dropped and focused on the ground instead of where his lighter was. He snapped the lighter shut and quickly pulled in towards him as he sat down on the dry patch of grass next to me.

I took a couple of quick drags before exhaling with a long cloud of thick smoke.

The red and blue lights from the bottom of the hill started up again and you could clearly hear several cars being turn on and even some doors slammed while others replied with ‘better luck tomorrow’ or ‘I have to go back to the office and do some paperwork’.

“They’ve been there all day haven’t they?” he asked, clearing the silence of the smoke between with words.

“That they have,” I spoke, my harsh accent lacing my tongue.

“I can’t believe they haven’t found him yet,” he started, placing his hands on his long scrawny legs, “I mean, he isn’t that hard to find. Everyone here could find him! Everyone knows who he is, but the fucking police.”

I silently stared at the glow from his blunt, then back at my own, suddenly not caring for the drug.

“My friend was the one killed last night,” he spoke, no tone to his voice, “He told me last night that he was going to help this girl he met days earlier. I find out this morning by word of mouth that he was shot. I was one of the last people to talk to him but the last to know.”

“Why don’t you do something about it?” I asked, extinguishing what was left of the blunt.

“I want to, but I can’t.”

We fell silent. I felt bad for him. Something in the back of my mind said this was my fault. But then again something in the bottom of my heart said that he was forgiving.

“Such a shame that this happened to you but he was protecting her. He could have just left her but he didn’t. In a way he’s a hero or incredibly stubborn. Most redheads are.”

“How did you know he was a redhead?” he questioned me.

I tried to speak but I couldn’t find the words to get me out of this hole that I’ve dug.

“How did you know?” he asked, grabbing my face so I was looking directly at him.

His eyes were a dark brown with a hint of green even in the darkness. The dark circles under eyes matched the black color of his hair and scruff contoured his jaw to his chin and his upper lip. Through the facial hair I could see his plump lips and I found myself staring.

“You’re the girl,” he said, more to himself then to me. He released my face before repeating what he said earlier but this time with a tone of realization and shock.

“I should be going,” I said, racing off from the ground and up the hill.

“Wait!” he said, before I heard the dry grass crunch under his feet as he began to chase me.

I tried to run faster but my short legs were restricted by the tight material of my short skirt.
He wrapped his arms around my waist once he caught up and I started to scream and throwing my arms around. Anything to get him off of me.

“Shhh! You have to be quiet! They’ll find us!” he calmed stated.

He removed one of his hands from my waist while the grip of the other tightened on my thin frame. He placed his hand underneath my chin and lifted it to meet his lips. My eyes flattered shut and I twisted my body so my chest was pressed against his. He dropped his arm back down, so they were both holding onto to my bare hips. My arms went around his neck and I finally kissed him back.

“It’s just some dumb kids, you’re getting paranoid.” I could hear in the distance.

He pulled away from me and his hands left my body tingling. I dropped my arms and just stood there breathless.

“You have to help me,” I stated, “I can’t go back. You have no idea what they’ll do to me.”

“Don’t worry; I was going to help you anyway. Whether you wanted it or not,” he replied.

“You can’t bring me to the police though, I can’t go. They’ll send me back.”

He grabbed both of my hands and encased them in his own.

“I won’t let anyone hurt you,” he said staring into my worn out eyes.

I nodded quickly, letting go of his hands

“Come on, let’s get away from here,” he said, he said dragging his hands behind him as he turned around to go up the hill.

I took a few steps to reach him and grabbed his hand, I just felt safer.

“My mother always told me I’d fall for the damsel in distress,” he muttered under his breath and I pretended not to hear it but I still smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was inspired by the song in the summary, 'The New National Anthem' by Pierce the Veil.

I originally wrote it for Writer's Guild at my school, but decided to post it here because I am extremely impressed with it.

If you do not understand this at all, I suggest you look up 'Human Trafficking'. And even if you do understand it, still look it up.

I hope you liked it.

Danielle.