‹ Prequel: Be My Escape
Status: Coming soon...

Friends, Lovers, or Nothing

Runaway Girl

It was amazing just how many times someone could congratulate you in the span of one day. I guess when you graduate college more than a year early, people are pretty happy for you though, so it was understandable. I mean hell, I was ecstatic about the fact that I was getting down with college early; I guess I was just surprised that so many other people were just as happy for me as well.

I wasn’t the only one graduating early, though; one of my best friends over the past year and the girl I shared an apartment with was also graduating early. I guess that’s why at 20, people were surprised we were getting out of college so early, and willingly so. We were in the same boat, Danielle and I were—it’s not that we hated college; we were just tired of all the work. So we worked our asses off and got done early.

Danielle was a great girl to have around this past year. Not only was it nice to be living on my own now instead of living with my mom and step-dad still, but she understood when I said I didn’t want to go out because I had work to do because ninety percent of the time, she did too. She was a great friend too. I had met her after I returned from England the previous year in one of my creative writing classes and we instantly hit it off. After the disaster that was England, I was trying to be a little more open to people so I would have more friends, and luckily that person was Danielle. We now lived in an apartment together and were the closest thing to best friends I had since Amanda. I had almost forgotten what it felt to have a best friend again.

But I digress.

I was sitting at Chili’s with my mom, step-dad, and Danielle, getting more rounds of congratulations and hugs and “we’re so proud of you”’s. It was nice to hear how proud of me they were, but my mind was elsewhere.

What else was new though?

Danielle noticed and nudged me at one point during dinner when my parent’s weren’t paying attention. “What’s up girl?”

I shook my head and popped a fry into my mouth. “Nothing, just been a long day, you know?”

She didn’t believe me; I could tell by the way she looked at me. But she didn’t press the issue further, which I was happy about. She never pushed me, which is why we were such good friends.

“I can’t believe you girls are graduating already,” my mom said suddenly. “You’re making me look old!’ she exclaimed in mock-horror, which had Danielle and I both laughing.

“You aren’t old ma,” I reassured her, shaking my head while I laughed lightly.

“You’re far from old,” Danielle reassured her as well. “You’re the coolest parent we know, Mrs. Klein.”

“Hon, you know you can call me Amanda. But thanks dolls,” she smiled warmly at us both.

“Sweets, did you tell Peyton about the gift?” my step-dad asked my mom suddenly, and my ears perked up.

“Gift? What gift?”

My mom smiled. “Well hon, I talked to your father earlier today. He wanted me to tell you how proud he is of you, but he also has a graduation gift for you.”

I was not expecting what she said next. Maybe I should have, but I didn’t.

“He would like you and a friend,” she gave Danielle a pointed look, “to come out for a visit. He and Hanna moved a few months ago to a bigger house in Surrey so they have the room, and they miss you. It would be like a graduation present.”

My mouth dropped open. “Seriously?” I exclaimed, and my mom nodded. “Oh my god!” I yelled, getting up and running to her side to hug her.

“Wait, what’s this mean?” Danielle asked, momentarily stopping the celebrating.

“This means we’re going to England.”

***

When Danielle and I got back to our apartment that night, I called Max. I had to let him know what was going on, and since I hadn’t spoken to him in a few weeks I figured now would be as good a time as any. “I’m going to go get our suitcases out!” Danielle exclaimed, running off while I collapsed on the couch and waited for my brother to pick up the phone.

It rang once, twice, three times before he finally answered. “’lo?”

Oops. He sounded sleepy. Sometimes I had the tendency to forget the time difference. Just because it was nine thirty where I was didn’t mean it was where Max was. “I’m sorry,” I immediately apologized. “I forget the time difference.”

He laughed, instantly perking up. “’s alrigh’ Peyt. I’m glad ta here from yeh.”

I smiled. “I have some good news.”

“Aye? What’s tha’?”

“Well, I’ll be on a plane this time tomorrow on my way to England, and your scrawny ass better be at the airport waiting for me.”

“No fuckin’ way!” he yelled, laughing excitedly. “Since when?”

I laughed too. “I found out earlier. Dad wants me to come out for a visit since I graduated, like a graduation present.”

“Aw Pey, this is mental! I’ve missed yeh!”

“Missed you too. How are things going there though? How is everyone?”

“The guys are still good, and mum and yeh dad are good too. Emmy’s a little trouble maker, but ‘s okay. She learns from the best.” We chatted for a little while longer before Max’s yawning made the conversation rather one sided.

“Go back to sleep. I’ll see you in a couple days,” I instructed him.

“Okay. Bye Peyt, see you soon.” Then we hung up, and I could hardly contain my excitement. As rough as England had been the first time around, I couldn’t wait to go back and to see my friends and family again.

“Peyton! Help me figure out what to bring!” Danielle exclaimed. The girl wasn’t high maintenance by any means, but she did like her clothes and she liked to look nice. That being said, she had a shit load of clothing to choose from.

Shaking my head in amusement, I just laughed but obeyed.

Several hours later, Danielle felt she was sufficiently packed. She had a huge suitcase stuffed to it’s limit with clothes, along with a carry-on. I admired her dedication to clothes, but this was just a bit ridiculous. And I told her so as we left her bedroom to scrounge for a snack. Packing made you hungry.

“It’s not ridiculous!” she protested adamantly as I dug through the fridge.

When I popped back out with an apple, I nodded. “It is ridiculous, Dan. Who knows how long we’re going for, but regardless you don’t need your entire wardrobe.”

She stuck her tongue out at me as she took a seat at our kitchen table. “I just want to be prepared,” she defended herself.

I just laughed. There was no sense in arguing because she was going to do what she wanted regardless.

“So, what’s the deal with this brother of yours? Anything I should know?” she asked suddenly.

“Not really. I mean, the guys are really pretty normal,” I informed her. Danielle still had no idea about Josh, and honestly I planned on keeping it that way. There was no sense in digging up my messy past, especially over a year later. I was sure Josh had moved on completely by now.

Could the same be said for me? I’m not sure. Would I like to be over Josh and would I like to be able to be civil once I arrived in England? Of course, especially because it would make things easier on everyone. But I wasn’t sure that was going to be the case. I hadn’t spoken to Josh in over a year and I really had no idea what was going on in his life. Max and I tended to steer clear of the Josh topic when we spoke.

“Peyton?” Danielle questioned, her face concerned.

“Hmm?”

“Were you listening?”

I blushed, because I so obviously wasn’t.

She rolled her eyes. “Honestly Peyt, you’re such an airhead sometimes,” she joked with a laugh. “I was asking who would be picking us up at the airport.”

“Oh. Probably Max, and maybe some of the other guys, so you’ll get to meet them.”

“Wonderful,” she smiled devilishly.

“Tell me your thoughts, Dan,” I demanded. That evil smirk of hers could only mean one thing: trouble.

“Now I get to inspect them as soon as we arrive! No delay necessary,” she winked, causing us both to fall into a fit of giggles.

“You’re too much,” I told her, shaking my head. And it was true, she was too much. But I loved her like a sister, and that was nice. I hadn’t experienced that since Amanda.

It was different with Danielle though. I didn’t feel guilty or like I had forgotten Amanda. I just felt like I was moving on, which I needed to do.

I needed to move on in other areas of my life too, and I was hoping this trip to England wouldn’t screw any of that up.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is short and slightly vague, but it's giving the premise to the story. It's introducing our new character as well. Danielle! :)

Thoughts? I want to know what you guys think is going to happen. Has anyone grown up in the past year+? You tell me! :) I want to try and get to ten+ comments before I post the next chapter. I want to see that people are still interested in Josh&Peyton!

Merry Christmas + happy holidays! :) <33333