Status: Finished!

Matchmaker

Chapter Ten: Fallen

The moonlight danced across Rupert’s face as he crept in closer to me. The half-smile on his face told me he was both happy and nervous at the same time. A smile snuck across my face when his eyes locked on mine. His hand met my cheek, sending and electric shock through my body.

“Happy birthday, Ellie,” he whispered to me. I smiled and bit my lip. He leaned in closer. Close enough for me to feel his lips trembling, and I’m sure he felt mine doing the same.

In that perfect moment, my phone started vibrating, making us both jump out of our skin.

“I-.. Uhm.. sorry,” he said. I shook my head and picked up my phone.

“Hello?” I asked, running my fingers through my hair.

Ciao, bella! Happy birthday!” Lorenzo beamed at me from the other end of the phone.

“Oh. Uhm, thank you,” I said.

“You had a wonderful day, no? I’m sorry, I wish I could have celebrated with you,” he said.

“It’s alright, really. I went out with some… friends,” I said.

“Fantastic. Glad to hear it,” he said.

“Well, thanks again, Lorenzo, but it’s getting late,” I said.

Si, si, you’re right. Have a wonderful night, Elettra,” he said.

“You too, Lorenzo, thanks,” I said.

Si, ciao,” he said. I hung up and tossed my phone back on the bed.

“Lorenzo?” Rupert asked.

“That’s the ex-boyfriend I told you about,” I said.

“You still talk to him?” he asked. His eyes looked hurt.

“No. I mean… he called me because it’s my birthday. It was nothing special,” I said.

“I didn’t know you still talked to him,” he said.

“Why does it even matter?” I asked him, my voice a little more harsh than I would have liked it to be.

“Because… you told me how much he hurt you. Forgive me if I’m not the git’s biggest fan,” he said.

“Don’t worry; I can take care of myself, okay?” I said softly. He didn’t say anything for a moment, then he nodded.

“Maybe I should just… go sleep on the couch,” he said, grabbing a blanket and a pillow from his closet. I didn’t say anything. He nodded once more then walked out to the living room.

I laid down on the bed and sighed, staring up at the ceiling. Lorenzo was always a pretty good buzz kill. I wasn’t sure why Rupert was so upset…

He must be really into me. Ugh!

It was hard to admit, but I fell for Rupert. Hard.

I bit my lip and sighed. I didn’t want to be alone. Not right now.

I got up and tip toed out to the living room. Rupert made himself a nice little bed on the couch. He was staring blankly at the television. I crept behind the couch and leaned over. He jumped when he saw me.

“Hey…” I said softly.

“Hey,” he said back.

“I-… I don’t want to be alone,” I said, biting my lip.

“You… want me to…?” he implied. I nodded. He smiled a bit and got up off the couch.

“I’m sorry,” I said. He nodded.

“There’s no reason to be,” he said. I sighed and he pulled me into a tight hug. It felt nice, for once; being in his arms. I hugged him back, feeling completely safe. “C’mon, let’s get you to bed.” I nodded and he kissed and top of my head.

We went back into his room and I sat down on his bed.

“Should I get out the air mattress?” he asked, throwing his blanket and pillow back on the bed. I shook my head. He smiled and sat down next to me. We both got under the covers. He wrapped his arm around my back and I rested my head and hand on his chest.

“This is much better,” I said, yawning a little. He reached around and placed his hand on my waist.

“You know the whole ‘you don’t want to fall for me’ thing? I don’t think this is helping at all. At least, not in my case,” he said, chuckling.

“Well, I have news for you,” I said.

“And what would that be?” he asked.

“It’s too late. I’ve already fallen,” I said, looking up at him. He smiled.

“You have?” he asked.

“Hard,” I admitted.

“Well, I’m glad to hear that,” he said.

“Yeah?” I asked. He nodded.

“It’s nice to know I’m not the only one.”