Status: Finished!

Matchmaker

Chapter Eleven: Nintendo 64

The four of us drove back to London the next morning. Rupert and I made it a point to not act any different around Morgan and Dan. Even though we admitted our feelings for each other, those two meddlers could not find out any time soon. The moment had to be perfect.

Two days later, July 7th, was Morgan’s birthday. I planned on taking her out for breakfast, but Dan beat me to the punch. So, I called up Rupert and told him to come over, since I had the apartment to myself. I had barely enough time to shower and get dressed before he came knocking at the door.

“I came equip with Nintendo 64 games. I know for a fact Dan has one hiding over here,” he came in, laughing a bit.

“Ugh, you’re a genius!” I said, giggling, closing the door behind him.

“I finally have you all to myself,” he said, smirking. Wow. I smiled when he kissed my cheek.

“C’mon. Let’s go find that N64. I feel like kicking your ass at Mario Kart,” I said, running into the spare room Dan and Morgan often spent the night in. He followed me in and started rummaging through the closet.

“It’s gotta be in here somewhere,” he said, going deeper into the closet. As he said that, there was a knock at my front door. I wasn’t sure he heard it.

“I’ll be right back!” I said, hurrying out to the living room. I cracked the door open.

“Elettra! Ciao, bella. Sei fantastica.

“Lorenzo. What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Well, bella, I didn’t get to see you on your birthday. I thought I would surprise you!” he said. I shook my head quickly.

“Now is not a good time!” I said.

“Why not? You are alone, no?” he asked. I shook my head.

“No, I have company,” I said quickly.

“Ah, they can wait. I have something important to say,” he said.

“Lorenzo, please-“

“Just hear me out, Elettra. Since you’ve been out of my life, I’ve been miserable. I can’t get you out of my head,” he said.

“We dated a year ago. You ruined it, remember? You’re the one who cheated,” I said.

“It was the biggest mistake I could have made. Mi manchi/ I miss you,” he said, taking a step toward me and placing a hand on my hip.

“Lorezno, I-“

He cupped his hand to my face and pulled me into him, kissing me deeply. My stomach turned. His lips were cold and unwelcoming. His hands felt rough on my body. Nothing about this was right.

He pulled away, smirking, and looked over my shoulder. I’m glad my back was turned. I didn’t want to see the look on Rupert’s face. It would have killed me.

“I found the game system…” he said behind me. I closed my eyes, turned around, and opened them.

“Rupert, I-“

“Just forget it,” he said, throwing the game system on the ground. Tears welled up in my eyes. The hurt written on his face was almost unbearable.

“Please…” I said, my voice barely audible. Rupert grabbed his jacket and pushed past me and Lorenzo, making eye contact with me for a brief moment, then storming down the stairs. I felt my heart sink to my feet.

“Well, now that I’ve got you alone…” Lorenzo slinked his arm around my waist with a smirk.

“Dammit, Lorenzo! Get away from me!” I cried out, pushing him backwards.

“What’s the matter with you?” he asked.

“Get the fuck out of here! Now!” I yelled, my voice screeching like a banshee. I slammed the door in his face.

I turned around and kicked the Nintendo that Rupert had thrown on the ground. Hot tears fell from my eyes. I ran my fingers through my hair.

Everything went from being so good to so bad in a matter of minutes.

I slammed my back against the fridge and sunk to the ground, crying.

For the first time, I felt completely alone.