Status: Finished!

Matchmaker

Chapter Thirteen: Finally

“Come on, we don’t want to be late,” Morgan said, getting off my bed. I nodded and shut the lights off in my room. Dan drove the two of us to the hall they rented out for the wedding.

When we got there, it was a bit hectic. Once Morgan had every one where they needed to be, we were ready to start. The only one missing was Rupert.

“Sorry I’m late,” he came in last minute, apologizing to no one in particular. When I saw him, my heart started beating faster. He didn’t make eye contact with me once. He stood next to me and walked down the aisle with me when it was our turn. It was more than I expected; at least he walked next to me.

After we ran through things a few times, we all met at a restaurant down the street. I sat next to Dan and Morgan at the head of the table and Rupert sat across from me. The tension was almost unbearable.

Not once did he look at me.

“A few of us are gonna head to the club and finish the party there. You wanna come?” Morgan asked, leaning over to me. I shook my head.

“I’m a little tired. I’ll just walk home,” I said.

“Are you sure? I mean… you can take the car if you want,” she said.

“No, it’s fine. You’ll need it more than I will,” I said.

“I’ll make sure she gets home,” Rupert said, still not looking at me. Morgan and I exchanged shocked looks, then shrugged. I was almost not looking forward to walking home.

The dinner lasted only an hour, and Morgan and Dan took the rest of the bridal party out to the night club down the road. I slid on my coat and waited for Rupert outside on the sidewalk.

I waited a good ten minutes before he came out to meet me.

“You ready to go?” he asked. I nodded and started walking. As we walked, he kept his distance. He was a good two feet away from me. The farther away he got, the more I felt my heart hurt.

“I’m not mad at you, you know,” he said as we got closer to my house.

“What?” I asked, surprised to hear his voice.

“I’m not mad. I’m upset,” he said.

“Why would you be upset?” I asked him.

“I watched you kiss another guy!” he said, raising his voice a little.

“I know! But you aren’t my boyfriend. You never were. You don’t have a right to be upset, or mad, or anything!” I said as we reached my apartment door.

“I don’t have a right?!” he said, harshly.

“Exactly! You never asked me to be strictly yours. You never asked me to be your girlfriend. That isn’t my fault!” I said, tears swelling in my eyes.

“I didn’t think I had to ask…” he said, his voice getting softer.

“WHAT?! You didn’t think you had to ask?! What, you think because you’re some big movie star that I would just say yes? You think you can just assume I would fall for you just like that?!” I shrieked, tears falling down my cheeks.

“Ellie…” he said softly, taking a step toward me. I shook my head, taking a step backwards.

“Don’t ‘Ellie’ me, Rupert! You can’t expect me to just-“

He kissed me.

Finally.

He kissed me.

His lips were warm and comforting on mine, unlike Lorenzo’s. My stomach turned… in a good way. My heart starting beating faster and faster. I’ve never felt so… wanted.

And just like that, he was gone.