Status: Finished!

Matchmaker

Chapter Fifteen: I Do

Dan took his place at the alter, shaking the preachers hand.

I walked out second to last, hanging onto Rupert's arm. We didn't speak, we didn't make eye contact. I just hung onto his arm like a prop. Something to make him look good. My heart was beating faster than normal just at his touch.

I stood in position, waiting for Morgan to walk in.

As the music played, she walked in. She was graceful and elegant. Her dress flowed behind her like a white river.

I glanced up at Dan. He had tears in his eyes. He looked at Morgan like she was the only person on this earth, as well as the most beautiful.

The service was short, but beautiful. Morgan, being the bad-ass she is, didn't cry. She didn't cry, at least, until she mumbled those two words that started the rest of her life.

"I do."
***********************

After the service, we rode a limo to the reception hall. The room was huge, the music was loud, and the people were drunk within an hour.

I sat at the head table, keeping to myself. No matter what I did, I couldn't shake the fact that Rupert and I had unfinished business.

He didn't seem to mind, though. He had plenty of tequila in his system by midnight.

"Did I tell you that YOU look beautiful tonight?!" he yelled to me over the music as people started getting ready to leave. I couldn't help but smirk a little.

"No, you didn't," I laughed.

"Well, I should have! You are more stunning than.. well.. you're my stunning then a stunner, that's for sure!" he said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"You, sir, are drunk," I said, holding him up slightly.

"Me?! I am not! I take offense to that. You're lucky you're cute or I'd yell at you," he said. I think he tried to poke my nose to be cute, but he hit my cheek instead. He stumbled backwards, pulling me with him. I unwrapped his arm from my neck.

"I think it's about time we get you home, hm?" I said.

"What? Why? Am I in trouble?" he asked. His words slurred together slightly. I shook my head.

"No, but aren't you tired? And look, everyone else is leaving," I said, pointing out the people behind him. He spun around quickly, then spun back to me, wobbling slightly.

"Fine, you're right. But I can't go home!" he said.

"And why not?" I asked.

"Because you won't be there! And I need you to be there. It's not the same without you at night!" he said. I bit my lip and sighed. He looked pathetic. He couldn't focus on my face when I spoke to him. His balance was completely off. I couldn't just let him go home alone.

"Alright. C'mon. I'll go with you," I said, wrapping my arm around his waist to balance him out.

"Awh, you will?! You're the best!" he said, kissing my cheek. I winced a little and continued walking him out to the car in silence.

When we got to his apartment, Rupert fell right into his bed with his tuxedo still on.

"You know, this won't be so bad. It will be like having a sleepover," he said. I shook my head.

"I really don't think it will be. I'm gonna sleep on the couch, alright?" I said, grabbing a blanket off his bed.

"NO! You can't. I want you to sleep in here. With me.. remember like that time we fell asleep watching that movie?" he said, reaching his arms out toward me. I sighed. It wouldn't be long before he would pass out, so I humored him and lied down on the bed.

"Happy?" I asked. He nodded, wrapping both of his arms around me and pulling me into him.

"You know, Ellie... I'm really sorry about everything. I know you don't like that jerk... I'm just so jealous! I don't want to loose you to anyone, you know? You're beautiful. And you could have anyone in the entire galaxy. Even an alien! There's no reason you should stay with an arse like me," he said. A drunken mind speaks a sober heart?

"You don't mean that. And you're not an ass," i said, smiling slightly. He sat up quickly and looked at me.

"I am! And I do mean it! Ellie... you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I don't know why I never made it official with you.. and I'm sorry. I couldn't bring myself to get close to you because I didn't want to lose you. But now you're here.. and I want you here forever," he said. I bit my lip. I've been waiting a long time to hear that.

"Goonight, Rupert," I said. I couldn't respond. Not when he's like this. I shut the light off and turned over. Within ten minutes, he was fast asleep.
********************

I woke up early the next morning to make Rupert tea for the hangover he was bound to have. Everything he said to me kept me up all night. It sunk in, but I didn't know if what he said was true.

Rupert rolled himself out of bed at close to 11. His eyes were red and hand managed to change into pajama pants before coming out to the kitchen.

"Good morning, you," I said softly, not sure if he had a headache or not. He smiled weakly and sat down. He looked confused as to why I was there.

"I uhm.. I'm sorry. i was a mess last night, wasn't I?" he said. I nodded.

"A little," I said, setting down the tea in front of him. He gave me a small, grateful nod and took a sip.

"Thanks for taking me home," he said. I nodded and sat next to him.

"Do you remember... anything from last night?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No.. I don't," he said. I nodded and stood up.

"I figured. Well, I should get going. Give me a call if you need anything, alright?" I said, gathering up my things. He nodded, remaining silent until I slid my shoes on.

"Ellie?" he asked when I opened the door. I turned around to face him. He stood up and looked into my eyes. He leaned in and kissed me gently. I didn't react. He pulled away and looked back into my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"For?" I asked softly.

"Everything... I'm an idiot. I just.. I don't want to lose you," he said. I bit my lip. Everything he said last night was true.

"You won't..." I said. He smiled slightly.

"Can we.. maybe start over?" he asked.

"I'd like that..." I said, smiling. He took a step back with a smile and stuck out his hand.

"Hi, I'm Rupert."